Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah, that post was pretty chilling, wasn't it? DMUpdater is what Easy Root pretended to be and was built on code stolen from. DroidMod is also working on a super-ROM that should be out relatively soon for rooted phones.

Reaction score
With this app I can't imagine why there are still unrooted phones.

Thanks again to the creater.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Reaction score
With this app I can't imagine why there are still unrooted phones.

Thanks again to the creater.
Some people don't trust a dev who steals code and is working with the biggest security hole yet found in the Android OS?

Who turned out the lights? | DroidMod.org

Easy Root is a ripped, pre-release version of the app mentioned in here.

Oh, well I guess I wasn't aware of the scandal around it, nor of any security flaws. I hope it isn't something that is putting my phone at risk though. I feel bad for the guy that put the work into it, but am still glad that there was an app released that allowed me to root so easily.

Do you know when the original creator is going to release an app? I certainly wouldn't mind purchasing again from him to support his development.

Booch_21

Reaction score
Oh, well I guess I wasn't aware of the scandal around it, nor of any security flaws. I hope it isn't something that is putting my phone at risk though. I feel bad for the guy that put the work into it, but am still glad that there was an app released that allowed me to root so easily.
I'm like you, when I found it, I loved that it made it easy to root. Most people don't know about the why's and who's around the drama of all of this, and I wonder how many care. I found out about it, I got it, it works. The other product isn't out yet so I know nothing about it. As long as the program works, I will use it. When it quits working, I'll wait for a fix, or switch to something that does. Its not like I run this thing daily to root. Once was enough to root my phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm like you, when I found it, I loved that it made it easy to root. Most people don't know about the why's and who's around the drama of all of this, and I wonder how many care. I found out about it, I got it, it works. The other product isn't out yet so I know nothing about it. As long as the program works, I will use it. When it quits working, I'll wait for a fix, or switch to something that does. Its not like I run this thing daily to root. Once was enough to root my phone.
Okay, maybe you're not getting the point -- once you're rooted you've opened the gate that was previously locked. You've slain the dragon and rescued the maiden fair.

The problem is the maiden isn't always faithful and the dragon made it to be an old dragon by being very, very tough.

The method this program used to root your phone exploits a flaw in the phone itself that allows a program to have access to the most important parts of the operating system, and it does so in a manner that if a program has the same code it could potentially seize control of the phone, wipe the OS, mine data, capture passwords, or store stuff on the SD card that we'll call unsavory and leave it at that. It's not repeatedly running the application that's the problem, it's whether or not that part of the program could be hacked and/or exploited. I've seen and heard zero evidence that Easy Root is anything but exactly what it promised to be, but that doesn't mean the program itself isn't risky.

Once your phone is rooted you are at risk. The program itself has a bad history and it doesn't do the best job of rooting phones, though there is some question about if 90+% of those bad roots are simply user error.

At the moment the best method to root isn't the easiest, but it's free, it has no controversy surrounding it, and it has the advantage of getting you familiar with programs and tools that will pull your phone back from the brink of unusability and a $600 replacement cost.

As for people who don't care, well, that's their prerogative. That's one reason why I say "if it matters" a lot. It matters to me, but I'm one of those strange people who believe in personal responsibility and that ripping someone else off for personal profit is somehow wrong. I don't pass judgment, however, I just make sure people know what they're doing.

DroidMod had to clean up a mess and stop people from using the leaked DMUpdater because the program wasn't ready for primetime yet. Maybe the reason why is because that part of the app wasn't encrypted and getting access to it was too easy, and once you had access to it the exploit could be spread around. I don't know, and they're not talking -- which is their prerogative.

If anyone finds out that Easy Root is a problem (other than for Verizon and the people who got bad root-jobs from it;)) it will be posted here as soon as possible. Till then, you're probably fine, but the fact remains that there are issues associated with this app. An informed consumer, and all that.

But, let's not be angry. Have a dancing banana.

:icon_ banana:

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish i had know this was a stolen app before i had bought it. not just cause the real one will be free but i like to support people who do the leg work, its like corporate execs taking credit the real works did except in this case its just stolen. makes me want to go go back to stock and reroot with DM when it comes out.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I wish i had know this was a stolen app before i had bought it. not just cause the real one will be free but i like to support people who do the leg work, its like corporate execs taking credit the real works did except in this case its just stolen. makes me want to go go back to stock and reroot with DM when it comes out.
Just donate a buck or two to DroidMod when their app comes out.

They don't seem to care too much about Easy Root and the guy who ripped the code, but that's neither here nor there. :)

Mtig

Reaction score
I know that google is no longer dealing with this app. but anyone know why the widget is no longer on my phone.

azpilot

Reaction score
I know that flashing between roms has caused mine to disappear. The recovery and backup stuff is still there if you boot up with power - X buttons. I just keep a copy of the .apk in my downloads folder and install it again when changing roms. If you didn't change roms or flash a different one, then not sure why it would be gone. You can download the .apk from the developers site.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought Easy Root a week ago and haven't had any problems with it at all. Great program. Had no idea it was ripped from someone though.

azpilot

Reaction score
I bought Easy Root a week ago and haven't had any problems with it at all. Great program. Had no idea it was ripped from someone though.

Rather than post the entire thread, here is the next to like last entry, its not stolen, it was released under the GPL -

Well, it has been posted twice that full disclosure is at droidmod.org and here is the important exerpt:

"The new version of DMUpdater uses a new method of rooting (popularized by Birdman for the Droid X) which actually takes advantage of a horrifyingly simple security hole in HotPlug. The “exploid” source code that was released to the world was released under the GPL license,"

Easy Root has three binary files in it with 'exploid' in the name. But since the source code is open source, it is not really stolen.

Would be REAL nice if WoZzy would step up to the plate in this thread, since he seems to like to be the clarion for all things DroidMod here at droidforums.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Rather than post the entire thread, here is the next to like last entry, its not stolen, it was released under the GPL -

Well, it has been posted twice that full disclosure is at droidmod.org and here is the important exerpt:

"The new version of DMUpdater uses a new method of rooting (popularized by Birdman for the Droid X) which actually takes advantage of a horrifyingly simple security hole in HotPlug. The “exploid” source code that was released to the world was released under the GPL license,"

Easy Root has three binary files in it with 'exploid' in the name. But since the source code is open source, it is not really stolen.

Would be REAL nice if WoZzy would step up to the plate in this thread, since he seems to like to be the clarion for all things DroidMod here at droidforums.
The key phrase is GPL license. All reports of stolen code were a misunderstanding. Mine included in that. :) Sorry folks.

There have been reports of problems with the job Easy Root has done (I've helped a few people out after the root didn't work as well as it should have), but the program is legit. Considering the number of people who have used it, if there were some malicious intent behind the program it would have appeared. So, to wit:

Program is legit, does what it's supposed to do, but some people may have problems after rooting, and there's currently no evidence that something malicious is going on with it, nor reason to believe any will be forthcoming. :)

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
OK, so not stolen, but that exploit still makes me nervous. I'll be curious to see what DroidMod comes up with.
Right now I'm just enjoying Froyo, will probably wait to root till I see what I might need that Froyo doesn't have.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk