Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
so, I have been trying to flash a ROM with ROM manager I downloaded one, did back up current. when i go to manage backed up ROMs the list is empty. when i even try to just install a ROM i get back to the exlamation screen, nothing happens so i hit up volume and camera get into recovery and i still cant seem to get the ROM on. I did a search earlier and i found people with the same issue they said to flash alternate recovery SPRecovery then back to clock work I did, SPRecovery took about 10 min, but when i went back to Clockwork and even the first time I flashed it it took all of 5 sec. i have a feeling clockwork isnt flashing right. if i loose everything on my phone its not a big deal i have everything backed up with my back up pro, but i would like a flash of the ROM as is before installing a custom ROM.

I'm sure I am missing one tiny little thing that will make this all work and I am going to feel like an idiot when its all over, but right now im lost, im surprised i got this far since i have never done anything remotly like this on any device. help or link much apreciated and i will totally give you a cookie for being so awesome.
Don't feel like an idiot; ROM Manager doesn't seem to play well with FroYo. Flash SPRecovery a couple times, boot into recovery to make sure it worked, and then ditch ROM Manager. Most of the instructions available for installing things are for SPRecovery anyway. :)

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so, I have been trying to flash a ROM with ROM manager I downloaded one, did back up current. when i go to manage backed up ROMs the list is empty. when i even try to just install a ROM i get back to the exlamation screen, nothing happens so i hit up volume and camera get into recovery and i still cant seem to get the ROM on. I did a search earlier and i found people with the same issue they said to flash alternate recovery SPRecovery then back to clock work I did, SPRecovery took about 10 min, but when i went back to Clockwork and even the first time I flashed it it took all of 5 sec. i have a feeling clockwork isnt flashing right. if i loose everything on my phone its not a big deal i have everything backed up with my back up pro, but i would like a flash of the ROM as is before installing a custom ROM.

I'm sure I am missing one tiny little thing that will make this all work and I am going to feel like an idiot when its all over, but right now im lost, im surprised i got this far since i have never done anything remotly like this on any device. help or link much apreciated and i will totally give you a cookie for being so awesome.
Don't feel like an idiot; ROM Manager doesn't seem to play well with FroYo. Flash SPRecovery a couple times, boot into recovery to make sure it worked, and then ditch ROM Manager. Most of the instructions available for installing things are for SPRecovery anyway. :)
im on a mac so i used easy root and only have options to do this on the droid as i understand it SPRecovery is a windows app

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

im on a mac so i used easy root and only have options to do this on the droid as i understand it SPRecovery is a windows app
RSDLite is a windows app. SPRecovery is an alternate recovery image. You can use ROM Manager to flash it.

N

NJDevils1214

The last two questions I think I have are where do I obtain a recovery image if I use this root app? and after I root, flash in the ROM, and then flash the theme I want, are there any known issues or special operations I would need to know about or will the phone run as it normally would?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The last two questions I think I have are where do I obtain a recovery image if I use this root app? and after I root, flash in the ROM, and then flash the theme I want, are there any known issues or special operations I would need to know about or will the phone run as it normally would?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html This will put your phone back to bone-stock 2.0.1 (You can find a 2.1 SBF image to flash onto your phone if you look hard enough.) if you feel the need to flash back.

If you're referring to an alternate recovery image like SPRecovery or ClockworkMOD Recovery, you can either use RSDLite to push SPRecovery (best method but requires a Windows-based computer and an application off the net, USB cable, and the willingness to do it) or ROM Manager from the market, which should allow you to flash ClockworkMOD Recovery and SPRecovery in from within the app. ROM Manager is not playing well with FroYo at the moment, however, so it's not a sure thing on the first try.

No special operations are needed to get your phone running again after you install a ROM, but all ROMs are constantly being tinkered with and updated, so known issues come and go. However, ROMs like CyanogenMOD are stress-tested to make sure as few bugs go out as possible, and the DroidMod team are working on a super ROM that should be out some time before the Apocalypse. ;)

N

NJDevils1214

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html This will put your phone back to bone-stock 2.0.1 (You can find a 2.1 SBF image to flash onto your phone if you look hard enough.) if you feel the need to flash back.

If you're referring to an alternate recovery image like SPRecovery or ClockworkMOD Recovery, you can either use RSDLite to push SPRecovery (best method but requires a Windows-based computer and an application off the net, USB cable, and the willingness to do it) or ROM Manager from the market, which should allow you to flash ClockworkMOD Recovery and SPRecovery in from within the app. ROM Manager is not playing well with FroYo at the moment, however, so it's not a sure thing on the first try.

No special operations are needed to get your phone running again after you install a ROM, but all ROMs are constantly being tinkered with and updated, so known issues come and go. However, ROMs like CyanogenMOD are stress-tested to make sure as few bugs go out as possible, and the DroidMod team are working on a super ROM that should be out some time before the Apocalypse. ;)
So If i use this app the recovery/ factory image will be saved/restored with a push of a button within the app on the phone so I wont have to do it manually? Sorry I am a geek but total noob at this and I'm not used to these kinds of risks. I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing. I dont need a brick.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

So If i use this app the recovery/ factory image will be saved/restored with a push of a button within the app on the phone so I wont have to do it manually? Sorry I am a geek but total noob at this and I'm not used to these kinds of risks. I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing. I dont need a brick.
BRICK BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!

Okay, with that out of the way, if you use one of the SBF files it will take your phone and overwrite every bit in the phone's memory, RAM and ROM, with the same image that's flashed onto them at the factory. It will be bone-boring-plain-untouched-virgin-waiting-for-your-sticky-fingers-in-the-back-of-the-car virgin as if you'd just taken it out of the box. If you flash in a 2.0.1 it would be like turning the clock back to November 2009. It replaces the recovery image as well, so if you want to get rid of SPRecovery because the phone needs servicing, this is the way to do it.

There is some risk, but if you read that post and follow the instructions and this video you will be fine. Even if something happens, there's always the stock SBF to flash back to, right? :)

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

If you wish to do it with ROM Manager, you'll need to buy and use Easy Root first.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RSDLite is a windows app. SPRecovery is an alternate recovery image. You can use ROM Manager to flash it.
there was something i read about ROM manger not working as well with SPRecovery, and really though what is the difference?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
ROM Manager is an app, SPRecovery is a way of installing update.zip files to your phone and making/restoring backup images of the system state (maybe not 100% technically accurate but close enough). ROM Manager can install SPRecovery to your phone, or CloworkMOD Recovery, which basically does the exact same thing. You can install ROM Manager to your phone and work with it after you're rooted or use SPRecovery to root your phone directly and not have to muck about with a program that's not currently working very well with FroYo for a lot of users.

jhom

Reaction score
Can someone share their insight about Easy Root? I am curious about what it actual does under its wrapper. I know the outcome, but it would be enlightening to me to know the process it went through to obtain root.

TIA

N

NJDevils1214

Given the options/outcomes I think i would rather use easy root and ROMmanager, the app/apps seem(s) trusted given idk what im doing its prob safer to have the apps do it. Then all I have to do is flash in the theme myself which gives less of a chance for me to screw something up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Given the options/outcomes I think i would rather use easy root and ROMmanager, the app/apps seem(s) trusted given idk what im doing its prob safer to have the apps do it. Then all I have to do is flash in the theme myself which gives less of a chance for me to screw something up.
Okay. Good luck and have fun!

greeknasty

Reaction score
so once i get teh 2.2 OTA i can install that..and then buy this and run this and everything will be fine?