Detailed Safestrap Instructions

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I have installed safestrap per the instructions, and watched some videos of people doing it, and the one thing that my phone does not do is when switching to "Safe" mode, it just switches without backing up anything. Can anyone tell me why that would be? On all the videos that I have seen, whenever the phone is switched into safe mode, it takes a few minutes to switch bc of the backing up.
I have never experienced that issue, so i'm not quite sure how to fix it. I would start by uninstalling recovery thru the safestrap app and reinstalling recovery.

amerabeans

Reaction score
Major Thanks to this post

Soft Brick my Bionic, lost Radio and other features this restored me back to stock.

Thanks

I get more luck here than XDA

matjmonk

Reaction score
I've read both both threads and didn't see where this has been talked about, I'm running Eclipse 22, I uninstalled Bootstrap, installed the Safestrap APK then went through the steps in the OP to install and backup the unsafe system. I didn't wipe the safe side since I wasn't quite ready to install a new ROM yet (I'm going to install ICS4Bionic later today) and when I rebooted, all I got was a blank screen with the hardkey lights on. I let it sit like that for several minutes but it never went any further. I then did a battery pull and (with Safe side still enabled) let the Bionic reboot by letting safestrap time out, same thing. I tried another battery pull and this time I pressed the search key to skip the Safestrap menu (I know it should be the same thing as the previous step) and once again, same blank screen. Finally, I did another battery pull and went into Safestrap and reenabled the "unsafe" partition through the menu option (not quick) and again pulled the battery and restarted. This time the system booted normally. Now with the excessively long preamble out of the way, here's the questions:

1. I'm guessing that you can't have the same ROM on both safe and unsafe partitions (especially if it's something like Eclipse), right?
2. When I go to install ICS, I just need to enable the safe partition and then do the normal wipes and follow the install procedure, is that also right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you switch to safe, there is nothing there to boot from, hence the blank screen. You need to flash a rom after switching to safe mode.

matjmonk

Reaction score
I sort of figured it was something like that, but thanks for the information, now to see about trying ICS!

LordRobb621

Reaction score
I have never experienced that issue, so i'm not quite sure how to fix it. I would start by uninstalling recovery thru the safestrap app and reinstalling recovery.

I am just an idiot, I was hitting the Quick Toggle option, which bypasses the backup process. Thanks for your help and this guide.

kivo360

Reaction score
I used you tools and eye_dea guided me through everything. I'm in tears for joy. For a 26 hour period, I lost my phone due to software issues - which is bad because my cell is my life - and now it's back better than before. Thanks for making tools like this, this way noobs like me can experiment with their phones and return it back to normal.

Cdub270

Reaction score
I just want to give a shout out to some Bad A** Folks like Timmy10shoes and Eyedea for digging me out of a mess I got myself in. I bricked my phone bad and they save me, so thanks Eyedea and his main man Timmy10 shoes, that Sh** worked and saved my BUTT. Got me back on track.

Much Respect

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::icon_ lala::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

CamoCustom

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for safestrap, and the guides that accompany it! I do have a question that wasnt answered at all, and really not even brought up.

Currently: I installed safestrap, backed up stock Rooted Rom, switched to safe, flashed eclipse 2.2 for bionic on .902, things have been just perfect, no problems.

The new OTA update for .904+ will be coming soon, what is the exact method of being able to receive that OTA update? I see the OP says I need to flash reinstall partition, would that be using safestrap or RSD lite? Or do we even have to do it at all?

And when it comes to getting rid of ROM on safe side, how do you do it? just wipe the data? I will be needing the new eclipse for .904 so thats why I asked. Thanks, Most of this is pretty simple for me to understand, so give it to me!

jickracer007

Reaction score
No what had happened wasn't looking to flash one just do a back up for my unsasfe, but one problem I also had was my titanium back up pro which I installed because my phone was just unbricked had CWM on it and I ran into a problem. I actually forgot that pro was even on it but Titanium pro-did what it was designed for, lol. just so if people have problems that can be an issue. the will have the black screen and have to do vrz and redo it it.
I am on the .902 any suggestions on a decent mod. The new axiom camera issue is pretty tough to swallow
Thanks for your feedback

jickracer007

Reaction score
Reboot

I have everything onstalled but when I hit the power=button there isn't a reboot just the regular airplane and shot off