Question about Bootstrap Method

goosed

Reaction score
Question about Safestrap Method

I've been reading up on how to use the Safestrap method, and just had a few questions. From what I understand, the Safestrap method sets a safe and non-safe mode for your phone. Now after you install Safestrap, do you need root access to install a rom to the safe system? Or by installing Safestrap , are you allowing this?

Also when you do flash a rom (Eclipse for example) I see that you need to wipe all data in order to do so. When you do this, will you lose things like your contacts/applications? And are you able to toggle between your safe/nonsafe system? Thank you.

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
Yes, my bad. That is one of the links I was reading. My questions still apply to that though. Thanks for the correction timmy.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
You need root to flash safestrap recovery. You always need to wipe data & cache when flashing a new rom, but you will not lose your data on the unsafe side. Yes, you can toggle between safe and unsafe. And when you do toggle between sides it automatically back-ups and restores data

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
Okay, so before doing anything I would still need to root the phone.

And as far as booting goes, any settings I currently have on my phone will be unavailable when using the safe system. To go back to my stock system, I would need to boot to the nonsafe system right?

Thanks again.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
You need to root first. You will be flashing a different rom on your safe side, and since you need to wipe cache and data (i wipe system also), everything will be new. Everything on your unsafe side is untouched, execpt the preinstall partition. Thats where the 2nd rom is installed.

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
I also had a question about rooting the device. I haven't seen anything that can unroot the .902 version. Will this be a problem?

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I'm kinda lost with that question. You need to be rooted to flash the recovery. And if you need to lose root, you can wipe the cache and flash the system with moto-fastboot (as long as your stock) if your on a custom rom, you'll need to wipe userdata also.

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
Well with like my Android tablet, I can turn root on or off. I haven't seen an option like this for the Bionic, and I was just wondering if it would be an issue in rooting the phone.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Still confused. If your rooted already, no need to root again. If you aren't rooted, use moto-fail to root. I don't know why you want to turn root on and off, but you can use OTA rootkeeper to mask root. But you'll still be rooted.

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
Can you fill me in a little more on OTA rootkeeper? This sounds interesting.

OP
G

goosed

Reaction score
Well sounds good. Going to give the motofail a shot. Thanks for your help timmy. Much appreciated.

eye_dea

Reaction score
goosed said:
Can you fill me in a little more on OTA rootkeeper? This sounds interesting.

It allows you temp unroot and/or restore root while upgrading your system version.