[HACKS] Safestrap Guide for Bionic

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Hacks' started by guidot, Mar 2, 2012.

1. tattooz

tattooz New Member

I am using safestrap and installed Eclipse 2.2 ROM on my safe system. I then went back to my unsafe, stock system and flashed the 904 leak on it. Can I go back to my safe system and use Eclipse or do I need to reflash it?
  2. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

If you flashed right ( ether having forever root or protected root with voodoo) just open the safestrap app on unsafe side and click install recovery to reconnect the app to the partition. Otherwise run motofail again, reinstall safestrap(if needed) and reinstall the recovery.

No need to wipe or reinstall a rom when switching to safe after doing either of those steps. The partition is just as it was before you flashed 904.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  3. draexo

draexo New Member

I just installed Safestrap. The thing is, I installed it and Eclipse Rom is on my unsafe side. Is there a way to get it to safe side? How do I get stock back to the unsafe side?
  4. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

Safestrap is ALWAYS installed on the unsafe side. You never want to put it on safe side. Safe side is the side you are always changing. Unsafe is the side you never want to change.

If you have safestrap on unsafe you would basically screw everything up the first time you reflash it. Also never put safestrap or bootstrap on the unsafe side. Nothing but trouble.

And you flashed eclipse befire adding safestrap?

Remove safestrap recovery. Uninstall safestrap. Reinstall whatever you used to install eclipse. Using that revert back to your stock nandroid. Reinstall safestrap. Reinstall recovery. Reboot into safestrap recovery. Backup unsafe side. Switch to safe mode. Flash eclipse. Reboot phone and enjoy eclipse on safe side.

5. draexo

draexo New Member

I followed the instructions. I even made a backup on my UNSAFE side. Then I attempted to toggle to my SAFE side. I receive an error here "failed to restore data" or something like that. I have 4GB free, which should be enough to switch, I believe. I am unable to switch to the "SAFE" side. When I reboot, I end up with my default ROM with no user data. I have to then reboot and restore my backup I made in SafeStrap to get everything back.

What is going wrong here?
  6. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

Ill have to comb through post on droidhive and see if can find anything helpful. I personally have never had any issues what so ever with switching between modes or safestrap messing up my unsafe rom (which has always been pure stock).

But sounds like you might have messed something up along the way and probably be a good idea to FXZ the phone to stock and start over from scratch

7. draexo

draexo New Member

Does my UNSAFE Rom have to be pure stock?
  8. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

No it doesn't but its recommended as it would be a pain to update it if you wanted to.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

Yeah if you ever want to update unsafe side to stock ics your process will be twice as long to do if you replace stock rom.

10. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

ok here's a question that I haven't seen asked/answered

I have the stock 902 ROM running on my unsafe side, I want to flash a zip onto this setup. Before I booted into recovery I deleted everything that was under sdcard/safestrap, assuming that this would prevent it from loading anything up and would just keep things as they were except now I can flash zips. When I switch between safe/unsafe to be able to flash a zip it restores the last custom rom I was running (in this case Gummy 1.0).

Will using the option to do the quick toggle actually accomplish what I am looking to do here?
  11. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

Its told to never use quick toggle as it can ruin safestrap possibly. About only time is when you have issues with toggling safestrap.

And the files you are deleting are not the system files of the ROM in that folder. The only files in that folder are backups.

If you want a blank safe side, then just wipe and format the safe side in safestrap recovery. And install your new ROM. Which if you install a new ROM on this side you should do these steps anyways.

NEVER wipe and format the unsafe side using safestrap recovery (not that it should let you. It should be disabled in unsafe mode) you will brick your phone. As wiping the unsafe side would also delete safestrap at the same time.

12. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

ok thanks for the response.

I know that I was deleting backups of the data from the safe/unsafe sides, I thought that there was more to the backup of the safe side than just data. I guess I can't do what I am looking to do b/c of the lack of a "stock" zip to flash on the safe side.
  13. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

I've been looking fora stock to add to the safe side but there is not right now. If you have nothing on the safe side you have no ROM.

A fresh brand new install of safestrap also shows you that all you get on the safe side is a custom ROM. If you try to load safe side with out doing a ROM install you end up with a blank black screen and the phone does nothing

14. chuck54

chuck54 Member

Is it okay to update the clock work mod recovery through ROM manager ????
  15. Lownignitus

Lownignitus New Member

Not if your using safestrap....

16. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Correct. Do NOT update in ROM manager. May not do anything, but also may bork everything.
  17. rwking

rwking New Member

So can you help me clear up a couple of things? I tried installing safe strap and a new ROM yesterday and ended up destroying my phone. lol I just now got it back - luckily I had a nandroid backup from just before my attempt.

1. Is it correct that safestrap allows you to essentially have two ROMs simultaneously while allowing them both to access your data?

2. Can you explain the difference between safe and non-safe? - TBH, anything with the word non-safe sort of scares me, and understanding it a bit better might help.

Thanks for the write-up and thanks in advance for any advice. :)
  18. jickracer007

jickracer007 New Member

Unsafe should scare you that is your original ROM and should not be modified under any circumstances you do all you customizations on your safe ROM hense "Safestrap"
  19. rwking

rwking New Member

So if I understand correctly... Unless you screw something up when installing your ROM and have trouble booting, you should always be able to get back to your unsafe (original) backup quite easily, correct?

Is there an advantage to using this over Bootstrap?
  20. jickracer007

jickracer007 New Member

I found that installing it on my sd card via card reader was so much easier for me.
    I also downloaded the ROMs and uploaded them via the card reader as well.
    I have all the files in a briefcase on my desktop
    RSD lite vrz 902 files as well, just in case of have a problem everything of need to restore my phone is a mouse click away