Detailed Safestrap Instructions

tuckmobile

Reaction score
Yeah, if you do a factory reset it formats data/cache and dalvik cache. So those steps are not needed. Some habits are hard to break. :)

I only included that extra step so that n00bs will see how to do cache/dalvik wipes. Totally unnecessary, but very instructional.

sigshane

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been off the scene for awhile, after up(?)grading from a Droid X to an iPhone.

Anyway, I am trading my iPhone for a Bionic (after returning to my senses!), and I have a few questions about this process:

1)do you still have to do a separate root, or is that part of the safestrap process?
2)is the sbf method still used to return to full stock - or was it ever used for bionic?
3)has this process been known to 'brick' bionics, via either fubar'ed installs or other reasons?

Greatly appreciate answers to these. And if this kind of question makes me a n00b, then so be it :-D

Shane

eye_dea

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been off the scene for awhile, after up(?)grading from a Droid X to an iPhone.

Anyway, I am trading my iPhone for a Bionic (after returning to my senses!), and I have a few questions about this process:

1)do you still have to do a separate root, or is that part of the safestrap process?
2)is the sbf method still used to return to full stock - or was it ever used for bionic?
3)has this process been known to 'brick' bionics, via either fubar'ed installs or other reasons?

Greatly appreciate answers to these. And if this kind of question makes me a n00b, then so be it :-D

Shane

All great questions. I could answer them half-assed, but instead I will let the man (timmy10shoes) address them appropriately.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Question 1) you need to root separately, google moto-fail. Safestrap is just a alternate recovery like bootstrap but with dual-boot capabilities.
2)Its called a fxz now. Pretty much the same as a sbf. You can use rsd lite to flash the fxz or use moto-fastboot to flash any image individually
3) As with any root procedures there is always a change you could soft-brick your device. That being said 99% of issues are user errors.

tuckmobile

Reaction score

Shane

Timmy10shoes speaks the truth. When you're ready to take the plunge, checkout my n00b guide here.

jrtwin

Reaction score
I have a Bionic that I tried to flash to the new ICS from Liberty. As I flashed all went it seemed fine until I restarted it, it pulled up the new OS but with no signal/connection. When I flashed it back using RDS Lite I got errors trying to flash the Liberty 2.0 901 build. Now when booting the phone it does not pass the splash screen and will not load to the stock recovery. It will however boot to the flash mode but fails out upon flashing. Any ideas?

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I have a Bionic that I tried to flash to the new ICS from Liberty. As I flashed all went it seemed fine until I restarted it, it pulled up the new OS but with no signal/connection. When I flashed it back using RDS Lite I got errors trying to flash the Liberty 2.0 901 build. Now when booting the phone it does not pass the splash screen and will not load to the stock recovery. It will however boot to the flash mode but fails out upon flashing. Any ideas?
yes, hit me up on google chat, [email protected]

Nedaroth

Reaction score
my safestrap seams to have gone south on me, today i could not toggle to safe mode. first problem as it has been great. any way to fix?

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
You can try to unistall recovery and reinstall, if you made a back-up of your safe side, do a quick toggle to safe and flash the back-up. But back-up your unsafe first, because it will not save data when you quick toggle so you'll need to restore your back-up when switching to your unsafe side.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
You can try to unistall recovery and reinstall, if you made a back-up of your safe side, do a quick toggle to safe and flash the back-up. But back-up your unsafe first, because it will not save data when you quick toggle so you'll need to restore your back-up when switching to your unsafe side.

No luck same result, do i need to unroot and then reroot and start all over??

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
No luck same result, do i need to unroot and then reroot and start all over??
Unrooting and rerooting won't change anything. Uninstall recovery thru the app, erase the safestrap folder on your sdcard and reinstall recovery. You will lose your safe romdata but that usually works.

Reaction score
Help

I just used safestrap and am booting up using safe system I'm wondering how long it should take I've been at a black screen with the lights on for about 5 minutes