Detailed Safestrap Instructions

closeded

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, the guide was awesome. I've been having it boot to fastboot everytime I started up my phone for the past two months. You've fixed that.

JudyChop

Reaction score
Something went wrong? :/

Ok, so I tried to follow these instructions as best as I could. I ran into one problem along the way though. When I tried to "Install zip from sdcard", I couldn't find any ROM.zip file? I looked for about 20 minutes and couldn't find it anywhere. So here's where I probably made the mistake. I went ahead and skipped that step and did the rest. Problem now is that when I shut it off and tried to restart it, all I'm getting is a black screen. It's not turning on. :/
I know you said it may take awhile, but I've been sitting here for about 20 min and its still on the same screen. What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? :(
Thanks

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did you download the rom on your sdcard? What rom was it? And you should go back to nonsafe mode or turn your phone off, as a dead battery won't do anyone any good!

JudyChop

Reaction score
I have no clue. lol
All I know is i chose to save it onto my external sdcard.
I can try that. Hopefully that will work.

JudyChop

Reaction score
Sorry, I misread your question. I haven't downloaded a ROM yet. All I did was root it and I was trying to make a backup of the stock root. I guess that's why I couldn't find the ROM.zip file?

JudyChop

Reaction score
Ok, also. (Sorry for all the comments) I just disabled safe mode and that allowed me to restart my phone. It finally turned on. Thankfully. I'm glad there's people out there who are much smarter than I am it this sort of stuff. But I guess what better way to learn than screwing up and having to fix it. lol
Not sure what else to do though. It looks like everything is running normally. I'm still rooted, because I have superuser access, but that's all I know.
Now i just have to reactivate this phone, because I switched when I thought I bricked it. I was freaking out so bad. lol

So, what do I need to do now then?
I want to try again, but I'd prefer to do it supervised. lol :p

eye_dea

Reaction score
JudyChop said:
Ok, also. (Sorry for all the comments) I just disabled safe mode and that allowed me to restart my phone. It finally turned on. Thankfully. I'm glad there's people out there who are much smarter than I am it this sort of stuff. But I guess what better way to learn than screwing up and having to fix it. lol
Not sure what else to do though. It looks like everything is running normally. I'm still rooted, because I have superuser access, but that's all I know.
Now i just have to reactivate this phone, because I switched when I thought I bricked it. I was freaking out so bad. lol

So, what do I need to do now then?
I want to try again, but I'd prefer to do it supervised. lol :p

You have a rom in mind? Follow the OP exactly and you will be fine.

JudyChop

Reaction score
I was thinking Eclipse 2.2, just because I've heard so much about it, but I don't know. This is honestly my first time rooting and I've only ever seen one other person with a rooted phone before. He had an HTC, but I don't remember what ROM he had on it. So I don't know what my phones going to look like after I install this ROM. Is there any editing or additional steps I'm going to have to do after I install it to make it functional? Im not sure what I wanna do just yet. Plus, I can't seem to find where to download Eclipse at either.

eye_dea

Reaction score
JudyChop said:
I was thinking Eclipse 2.2, just because I've heard so much about it, but I don't know. This is honestly my first time rooting and I've only ever seen one other person with a rooted phone before. He had an HTC, but I don't remember what ROM he had on it. So I don't know what my phones going to look like after I install this ROM. Is there any editing or additional steps I'm going to have to do after I install it to make it functional? Im not sure what I wanna do just yet. Plus, I can't seem to find where to download Eclipse at either.

If you are unsure....wait. Read about it and reread more about it.
Eclipse is fully functional. Make sure to download the version go to with your system version. (902=Eclipse v2.2). Once you flash a rom, you will have to set up your phone like it came out of the box again. You can use Titanium backup to help backup your apps and data. Make sure you have set google to store your contacts too.

JudyChop

Reaction score
I think I have version 902? When I go under system settings: about phone, it has a 902 in there somewhere. I'm assuming that's what I'm supposed to be looking at? I've heard a lot of good about this ROM, but I'm just worried once I'm loaded, I won't know how to get rid of it if I don't like it. That, or backing my stuff up wrong and losing it. I have a lot of contacts that I definitely cannot afford to lose, and it would just be a pain to have to re-install all my apps.

eye_dea

Reaction score
JudyChop said:
I think I have version 902? When I go under system settings: about phone, it has a 902 in there somewhere. I'm assuming that's what I'm supposed to be looking at? I've heard a lot of good about this ROM, but I'm just worried once I'm loaded, I won't know how to get rid of it if I don't like it. That, or backing my stuff up wrong and losing it. I have a lot of contacts that I definitely cannot afford to lose, and it would just be a pain to have to re-install all my apps.

Ok. Go into your contact app and settings. Change storage from verizon assistant to google. Your apps are saved by google, but not the app data. Use titanium backup to save app data. If u follow the op, u will have no problem going back if you dont like the rom. Safestrap is a beautifully design program and should not let you mess things up too badly. Come back with more questions.

airbusacft

Reaction score
A million thanks to Eye_dea and timmy10shoe for all their help, time and filies. My Bionic has been brought back to life because of them.

hhuck

Reaction score
? Safestrap

Maybe I missed something in this thread. I rooted my Bionic .902. Installed safestrap version 1.07 for the bionic. Did the recovery for the backup. Now when I try to ENABLE safestrap the phone won't boot up? When I disable it it boots up fine. I guess my question is do I have to install a different rom for this to boot up in safemode? Thanks, Howie:blush:

OP
T

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something in this thread. I rooted my Bionic .902. Installed safestrap version 1.07 for the bionic. Did the recovery for the backup. Now when I try to ENABLE safestrap the phone won't boot up? When I disable it it boots up fine. I guess my question is do I have to install a different rom for this to boot up in safemode? Thanks, Howie:blush:
yes you do