Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What's this kernal you speak of? So far the only grand-slam compcache kernel is the SlayHer 1.6 kernel, but P3Droid kernels work for almost everything else. Some phones get along with ChevyNo1's kernels, but...

I think you see where this is going. :)

If you're not overclocking, stick with stock.

dpaine88

Reaction score
What's this kernal you speak of? So far the only grand-slam compcache kernel is the SlayHer 1.6 kernel, but P3Droid kernels work for almost everything else. Some phones get along with ChevyNo1's kernels, but...

I think you see where this is going. :)

If you're not overclocking, stick with stock.

For me the P3 is the best so far. Interactive Gov and Compcache and MUCH cooler temps/better battery life than Slayher.

jerroedr

Reaction score
i have experienced no problems with "compcrap" why the hate? seriously. should i not be using it? im getting great batt life, great speed, and great temps

captdroid

Reaction score
i have experienced no problems with "compcrap" why the hate? seriously. should i not be using it? im getting great batt life, great speed, and great temps

captdroid had some issues with his phone slowing down he attributed to compcache.

lol.. I am actually trying out compcrap again but this time on Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.9 w/slayher 1.1 kernel. Absolute breeze turning on compcrap in LFY. Option in Liquid settings, checked it off, rebooted and that was it. :)

The problem with compcrap, I mean compcache :) has been that after a day or two many people (not just me) experience slow down and a reboot is needed to bring to phone back up to speed. This definitely happens because of compcache on some ROMS (maybe all ROMS). I will see how compcache goes turned on running with LFY and slayher 1.1 kernel.

I may come back to CM in the future but right now it's just to buggy for me but I do like CM's load of customizable settings.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I still fail to see why a reboot every day or so is a bad idea. I'm hardly a heavy user of apps/games/etc and I have to reboot about every 36 hours anyway. I had to do it stock, I have to do it rooted. :)

aggiechase37

Reaction score
The kernels I'm using are the 8-1 Chevy kernels. I don't care about interactive (poor reviews from too many others) and the phone already performs like Big Brown so why would I care about compcache? I'm sticking with this setup. Good luck gentlemen!

jerroedr

Reaction score
how long does your home computer go without a reboot? every couple days? same for a phone. it doesnt NEED to be on 24/7 but the manufacturer wants it to be for some reason

captdroid

Reaction score
how long does your home computer go without a reboot? every couple days? same for a phone. it doesnt NEED to be on 24/7 but the manufacturer wants it to be for some reason

Weeks on 24/7

captdroid

Reaction score
And how much RAM does your PC have compared to your phone?

Droid 1 -- 256MB. Average home PC? 2GB, some up to 4GB, 64bit power-user PC 8GB.

RAM is not the issue. I have several linux based devices with little RAM that run for months or longer without reboot.

So far my phone running LFY v1.9 w/stock kernel compcache turned on without reboot for many hours is not slowing down. I will have to stop tinkering with things that need me to reboot the phone for a more thorough test :)

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Actually, RAM IS the issue. It gets gunked up and locked down. How big is your swap file on those Linux boxes and your Windows machines? Android doesn't really have one, due to the short lifespan of the SD cards we use to store data on, which is part of the reason why we want a fully-functional compcache setup -- compcache is a virtual RAM boost (you know this, I'm just putting it out there for people not in the know/new to this discussion :)). When your phone starts lagging do a simple test. Go into Running Services and check how much RAM you have in red that the phone can't access. That's the problem. On a full-sized PC/laptop there are far more options the system can use (but usually doesn't) to maximize RAM scalability and utility. Linux is MUCH better about it, particularly in low-RAM situations, than Windows does, but it still needs to clear the gunk out once in a while.

Think about what these phones are asked to do -- act as a 2-way radio with both WiFi/3G/1x and the CDMA voice system, plus browse the web, send SMS and MMS messages, play music, play Flash, take pictures, sense metal, search for ghosts (Ghost Radar on the Market by SpudPickles), handle a touch screen, etc. etc. etc. All of this with a meager 256MB of RAM, while running FroYo, and all at sub GHz speeds. A reboot every 24-36 hours doesn't seem like a lot to ask, especially at the sub 1-minute reboot time we have now.

Heck, mine will start dropping 3G, thanks to the mediocre coverage I have in my house, and I'll have to reboot just to fix the signal. That can happen up to 4 times a day, so I'm used to rebooting regularly anyway. :)

captdroid

Reaction score
Actually, RAM IS the issue. It gets gunked up and locked down. How big is your swap file on those Linux boxes and your Windows machines? Android doesn't really have one, due to the short lifespan of the SD cards we use to store data on, which is part of the reason why we want a fully-functional compcache setup -- compcache is a virtual RAM boost (you know this, I'm just putting it out there for people not in the know/new to this discussion :)). When your phone starts lagging do a simple test. Go into Running Services and check how much RAM you have in red that the phone can't access. That's the problem. On a full-sized PC/laptop there are far more options the system can use (but usually doesn't) to maximize RAM scalability and utility. Linux is MUCH better about it, particularly in low-RAM situations, than Windows does, but it still needs to clear the gunk out once in a while.

Think about what these phones are asked to do -- act as a 2-way radio with both WiFi/3G/1x and the CDMA voice system, plus browse the web, send SMS and MMS messages, play music, play Flash, take pictures, sense metal, search for ghosts (Ghost Radar on the Market by SpudPickles), handle a touch screen, etc. etc. etc. All of this with a meager 256MB of RAM, while running FroYo, and all at sub GHz speeds. A reboot every 24-36 hours doesn't seem like a lot to ask, especially at the sub 1-minute reboot time we have now.

Heck, mine will start dropping 3G, thanks to the mediocre coverage I have in my house, and I'll have to reboot just to fix the signal. That can happen up to 4 times a day, so I'm used to rebooting regularly anyway. :)

The linux device(s) I am referring to are solid state memory just like the phone.

Since I don't need to reboot my phone normally unless I am tinkering to much :) I would like to see if with compcache turned on the ROM I am running now which is LFY v1.9 the phone starts to lag after a day or two or three...

True it doesn't take long to reboot but if I am in the middle of using a app lets say navigation it could be very inconvenient to necessitate rebooting the device. I could lose my way miss my exit and have to drive 20 miles back to the correct exit. :icon_twisted: I know I know just make sure I reboot the phone before getting in the car... lol but what if I forget :)

So, bottom line for me is if running compcache makes needing to reboot the phone every couple few days it's not worth running it and losing my way :)

Now about the ghost radar app. Have you tested that app perhaps in a known haunted house? I really can't help there AFAIK :)

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah, I have, actually. And around a bunch of psychics. Sometimes the effect is almost subliminal, but a story usually emerges from the detected words. :D

By the way, former paranormal investigator. ;)