Need a Interactive Governor Kernel for CM6

daveywave

Reaction score
I was rocking sapphire's interactive governor LV 1Ghz kernel with CM6 RC3. But the final version will boot loop using it, likewise slayher's interactive kernels.

currently I am using p3droid's LV 125-1000ghz and it works well but I really enjoy the interactive kernels for extra powersaving... (they don't save much if any power while ramped up in 'interactive' mode, but they allow me to use conservative modes while the screen is off/low battery, without touching the sampling rates for ondemand)

So there, anyone, with any suggestions? I've been looking for a few days and Slayher updated his kernel with a 'wifi' patch that should be applied to CM6 and supposedly it will work fine. I rather NOT apply a patch in case i revert to another kernel.

EDIT: Thanks Se7enLC for pointing out p3droid's updated kernels

Although they are still "v32" of the kernel, they have indeed been UPDATED to support the interactive governor! Perhaps p3droid could have reflected a newer "v33"? But I'm sure he has his own reason why he did not.

As for slayher's kernel on CM6 final... I'm still getting a boot loop and as I said earlier, I do NOT want to install the wifi patch for his kernel...

racketier

Reaction score
I grabbed the 1ghz version as well, but I don't like how the min mhz is 300 and not 125mhz or at least 250mhz

Also, it appears the server is down.

Edit: and it's back up already

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Huh, I installed the P3droid LV 250/900 kernel, and I have the interactive governor. I did previously install the slayher kernel, but I am definitely running P3droid now:

Linux localhost 2.6.32.0-P3Droid #157 PREEMPT, compiled Sat Aug 28 07:19:36 MST 2010 armv71 GNU/Linux

mjones73

Reaction score
Huh, I installed the P3droid LV 250/900 kernel, and I have the interactive governor. I did previously install the slayher kernel, but I am definitely running P3droid now:

Linux localhost 2.6.32.0-P3Droid #157 PREEMPT, compiled Sat Aug 28 07:19:36 MST 2010 armv71 GNU/Linux

Where did you link it from? I see no mention of him adding it on his main kernel page but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Where did you link it from? I see no mention of him adding it on his main kernel page but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I just googled "p3droid" and downloaded it from here:

P3Droid Kernels

jville95

Reaction score
I tried to use one of slayher's kernels on CM6 bc of the Interactive governor and it gave me boot loops. So I was back and forth between Chevy's and P3Droid's. Although P3Droid's have an interactive governor now. I was running their LV 125-1200 and it was incredibly awesome. Now im running the stock kernel that came with CM6 and it seems even better but I know I'll be switching up in the mean time.

*current speed using setCPU on stock, 600max/125min

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Slayhers kernel with the interactive governor is blazing fast, I'll have to test out the battery life but the preformance is great. :)

FcoT

Reaction score
I am using slayher's but CM6 is not tuning compcache on at boot, so I am having to script it on, on every boot. CM6 was not supposed to have this feature?

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I am using slayher's but CM6 is not tuning compcache on at boot, so I am having to script it on, on every boot. CM6 was not supposed to have this feature?

Well compcache is in the CyanogenMod settings but it's not working with this kernel you said? Is it THAT much of a differnce in preformance anyways? I've never used it personally.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
What does the interactive setting do for you? I've been using conservative.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Maverick0984

Reaction score
What does the interactive setting do for you? I've been using conservative.

Commit 255f13bf41f368aa51638a854ed69cfc60f39120 to CyanogenMod's cm-kernel - GitHub

Summary: Instead of sampling system load at intervals, it specifically samples when coming out of idle (when phone rings, screen turns on, etc). The end-result is hypothetically a much more responsive ramp-up to speed from sleep. Hard to quantify, but I've been happy with it so far.

Thanks for the rundown. I was already using a current p3droid that includes that mode, so I enabled it, we'll see how it goes.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I hope they've improved it -- last test I saw of an interactive kernel ramped it up to max speed the instant demand was placed on the CPU (as expected), but then it took forever to ramp down, even without any demand on the CPU. That meant a LOT more heat and massively reduced battery life.

It's been a while, so hopefully it's gotten better.