Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea but I heard no FM radio for the droid..

Thats not much of a disappointment. 99.98% of people think radio sucks and the other .02% don't know internet radio exists. I have Slacker, Pandora, MP3s, and XiiaLive (ShoutCast Stations) on my Droid. I don't know what I would do with more music.

Yep I know, just stating what I heard :)

long john

Reaction score
Yea but I heard no FM radio for the droid..

Thats not much of a disappointment. 99.98% of people think radio sucks and the other .02% don't know internet radio exists. I have Slacker, Pandora, MP3s, and XiiaLive (ShoutCast Stations) on my Droid. I don't know what I would do with more music.

+1

Current radio does suck...In any event, my understanding of the FM radio issue with Droid, was that there was a hardware issue that prevents it's inclusion in froyo. Can anyone confirm this for us?

onelegchair

Reaction score
I knew it was frozen yogurt but I had no idea what it had to do with android. thanks. sorry for the stupid question

Reaction score
This has been quite an interesting read. I think everyone can at least agree that it will be an interesting week, and hopefully exciting few weeks ahead!

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Well, if it comes in June, I'll be counting on you all to get the file uploaded to the boards so I can update mine directly without the OTA(like I had to do for 2.1). I will be deploying at the end of May, but will have my phone with me and will have wifi access(just no cell signal).

So, hopefully it comes out next week in conjunction with Googles I/O as a way of them telling us all to STFU about delayed updates as they prove they can deliver.

Otherwise, someone please grab the file and post it on these forums so I can force it onto mine. Would love to have flash player while deployed (netflix here I come).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been quite an interesting read. I think everyone can at least agree that it will be an interesting week, and hopefully exciting few weeks ahead!
I agree! Android 2.2 is the update we've all been waiting for :p

I guarantee you when if it takes until June or later for 2.2 to hit the Droid it will then be discussed so much that no matter how good it is, it won't be good enough. People are always going to want/expect more.

Noticeably missing (again) in Miami's list of possible updated features was the lack of bluetooth voice call capability. I love my Droid but no matter how much I try I can't get past this Android flaw.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I agree! Android 2.2 is the update we've all been waiting for :p

I guarantee you when if it takes until June or later for 2.2 to hit the Droid it will then be discussed so much that no matter how good it is, it won't be good enough. People are always going to want/expect more.

Noticeably missing (again) in Miami's list of possible updated features was the lack of bluetooth voice call capability. I love my Droid but no matter how much I try I can't get past this Android flaw.

That's true, but when we will be getting flash, a HUGE speed increase, wifi hotspot, tethering, official apps2sd, possibly more homescreens and 3d launcher plus more RAM, it sure will be exciting for many people.

dwoid

Reaction score
I'd love to see it really happen, but I'll believe it when I see it for the Droid...

After all the corporate heartache over the 2.1 OTA, combined with the fact that the Droid is already being sunsetted in favor of newer technology, plus the fact that Verizon is still trying to push 2.1 OTA to various 2.0.1 Droid users, I really doubt that the Droid will ever see another *full* upgrade through OTA. We may be lucky enough to get Flash, but beyond that the OTA crystal ball is dimming very quickly...

Just my humble opinion...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see it really happen, but I'll believe it when I see it for the Droid...

After all the corporate heartache over the 2.1 OTA, combined with the fact that the Droid is already being sunsetted in favor of newer technology, plus the fact that Verizon is still trying to push 2.1 OTA to various 2.0.1 Droid users, I really doubt that the Droid will ever see another *full* upgrade through OTA. We may be lucky enough to get Flash, but beyond that the OTA crystal ball is dimming very quickly...

Yes, and it's got a dozen arguments in it.;)

I can't see how the Droid is being "sunsetted" when it's still Verizon's flagship phone. Watch some sports on television, this is where I notice the heaviest amount of advertising is done on the Droid. The Verizon phone most advertised is the Droid. Not the Incredible, or any other non Android phone.

Updates don't stop because a new phone comes out. Eventually it may not get support but I think we're good for another year or two on the Droid.

That of course is MY humble opinion.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Yes, and it's got a dozen arguments in it.;)

I can't see how the Droid is being "sunsetted" when it's still Verizon's flagship phone. Watch some sports on television, this is where I notice the heaviest amount of advertising is done on the Droid. The Verizon phone most advertised is the Droid. Not the Incredible, or any other non Android phone.

Updates don't stop because a new phone comes out. Eventually it may not get support but I think we're good for another year or two on the Droid.

That of course is MY humble opinion.

Agreed! I watch poker on ESPN whenever its on, also on Comcast Sports Net, every single time their is a commercial break, their is a motorola droid commercial..:)

dwoid

Reaction score
Not wanting to promote this as an argument, but what I meant by sunsetted is that Motorola is already moving on to their next models. And Motorola is a major player in developing the official OTA updates, so for the Droid, their motivation to develop more is diminishing with every day that passes.

I love Verizon for its service, but it's always the last to come out with the newest phones. They probably have a million Droids waiting to sell from their local stores, so that's why they're advertising so heavily on TV. But, that advertising doesn't make OTAs happen, that just helps keep the local stores open.

Product life is so short in this market; for Verizon, Motorola and Google to work together and produce another full OTA update for a product that is already nearly a year old would be extremely surprising.

Now Motorola has made statements that Flash will be available for the Droid, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it. But that's all I'm ever expecting, and even Flash will be somewhat of a surprise if it comes out.

That doesn't mean other Droid sources won't move on to 2.2, in fact that is one of the beauties of the Droid, there are lots of sources for foundational technology. But another official full x.x version OTA update??? I'm sorry, I really doubt it.

All that said, I'm ready to eat my hat anytime the Big 3 prove me wrong. But I'm not getting the knife and fork out until I see the full x.x version OTA knock on my Droid's door.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
rofl I'm sure we'll get 2.2 OTA. That could very well be the last one, who knows, but I bet we'll get it.

Everything after that may be up to the ROM building community though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.