Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandies

Reaction score

If you root your phone back to 2.0.1 how can you update to 2.2?
New to all this and can't seem to get any answers on how to root my phone.. with a Mac.. so I GAVE up..
but .. do have the question as to getting updates for the droid if you are rooted????
Someone acknowledge please...

ovrclock

Reaction score
I actually think that the delay of Froyo won't be as painful as with Eclair. Numerous reports I've read online from Google employees have stated that what they're trying to do now is isolate parts of the OS as individual downloads in the Market, that way they can cater to older/newer devices and get some of the newer features out sooner rather than later. For example, a flash-compatible browser could be put up in the Market, instead of updating entirely to 2.2, but only available to hardware that can handle it (think Google Earth/Live Wallpapers for Android). This would also make more sense as stand-alone app downloads to avoid big delays from 3rd party skins, such as Sense UI, or carrier approval. Also, with the wide array of hardware specs on Android devices (even newer releases), Google has a chance with this method to deliver as many up-to-date features as possible, hardware permitting.

I honestly think this is going to be the case going forward. I think 2.1 is going to be the minimum software specs, and then this per-download method will be the new thing. Think about how many Android headsets have been "miraculously" updated to 2.1 in the past month or two? Google has something up their sleeve, and I can't wait to see it at I/O!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you root your phone back to 2.0.1 how can you update to 2.2?
New to all this and can't seem to get any answers on how to root my phone.. with a Mac.. so I GAVE up..
but .. do have the question as to getting updates for the droid if you are rooted????
Someone acknowledge please...

What you're saying doesn't make sense. You don't "root" your phone to 2.0.1 you remove the root and reinstall 2.0.1 then you would install 2.1 and get 2.2 OTA.

You won't get any answers on how to root your phone in this area. You have to go to the hacking section for that. There is plenty of information you have to search a little bit in the hacking area.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think that the delay of Froyo won't be as painful as with Eclair. Numerous reports I've read online from Google employees have stated that what they're trying to do now is isolate parts of the OS as individual downloads in the Market, that way they can cater to older/newer devices and get some of the newer features out sooner rather than later. For example, a flash-compatible browser could be put up in the Market, instead of updating entirely to 2.2, but only available to hardware that can handle it (think Google Earth/Live Wallpapers for Android). This would also make more sense as stand-alone app downloads to avoid big delays from 3rd party skins, such as Sense UI, or carrier approval. Also, with the wide array of hardware specs on Android devices (even newer releases), Google has a chance with this method to deliver as many up-to-date features as possible, hardware permitting.

I honestly think this is going to be the case going forward. I think 2.1 is going to be the minimum software specs, and then this per-download method will be the new thing. Think about how many Android headsets have been "miraculously" updated to 2.1 in the past month or two? Google has something up their sleeve, and I can't wait to see it at I/O!
Who said it's delayed?

pandies

Reaction score
thank you hook .. my problem is when I plug in my phone to my pc and try to mount my sd card... can't locate it on my pc .. :(
thank you for the reply ..

ovrclock

Reaction score

Who said it's delayed?

I just meant in the event its delayed to release on the Droid, not an overall release delay to other headsets.

boostdscoob

Reaction score
the way im reading, 2.2 is going to be displayed/updated the 19th for the google I/O conference.
given that they gave out droids and n1's for the conference, its a given that those would be the first platforms..
also, google has stated that releases (SDK/source) will be released closer to actual release dates, to avoid the 2.1 debacle, where we had 2.1 for months before we saw anything.
Im anticipating, but not counting on it. itd be nice, but i expect nothing..
id really like to see the incredible get this asap also.
i want to see the performance differences between the n1 and the incredible.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard 2.2 will be the standard and after that they will update via the marketplace.

And the Nexus One is all but dead since most carriers don't want it. The incredible is better and there are new phones coming out every month.

Believe or not the original Droid is still king of the hill. I can't watch any TV show without seeing multiple Verizon Droid ads.

yourname93

Reaction score
okay guys dont be silly its not like it tok That long to get the 2.1 update. now the google I/O is soon among us and i dont dout droid will be second or third to get the 2.2 update behind incredible and nexus one.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
What does this thread even mean? Didn't they officially cite June as the release date? Didn't Adobe say there were lots of kinks to be worked out for Flash 10.1 for Android? When has an official update ever come as scheduled, much less early?

Methinks the Droid won't get 2.2/Flash until at least July. I'll eat a 10-gallon tub of frozen yogurt in one sitting if I'm wrong.

Shens I say!

SixEighteen

Reaction score
It'll for sure be an OTA update, right? I'd hate to have to go to the Verizon store or something just to get it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid will be first.

The Nexus came with 2.1. It barely sold any and is dead.

The incredible is new and has HTC sense on it.

There are more Droids out there than all the Android phones put together.

Droids

Reaction score
The Droid will be first.

The Nexus came with 2.1. It barely sold any and is dead.

The incredible is new and has HTC sense on it.

There are more Droids out there than all the Android phones put together.
^^^ yeah, this. Read it again. The Moto Droid is still the flagship device, followed by the dead or dying N1, then the Dinc. While the Dinc may be better than the the N1, it has Sense, at that will delay 2.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.