Who's paying full retail for the Galaxy S4?

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Just saw on Verizon website the gs3 is marked down to $99. Very tempting but think I'm still gonna have to go for s4. I still have a month to decide

That is the subsidized price. So if you weren't grandfathered into an unlimited plan take the plunge.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX with faulty speaker!!

lisalisa13

Reaction score
That is the subsidized price. So if you weren't grandfathered into an unlimited plan take the plunge.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX with faulty speaker!!

Yes I'm grandfathered in, but don't want to keep my bionic so my hand is being kinda forced I'm afraid. Up for upgrade next month

ring007

Reaction score
I'm paying the full price because i want to have it asap. It's expected to cost around 600 euros here and should land in stores by the end of the month

n2_edmond

Reaction score
Yes, you can still get insurance on it. When I got my Nexus on launch day at Verizon, they just transferred over my insurance from my previous phone.

Hi there- we at Ensquared will insure all Cell Phone devices no matter the make or model. It must be 90 days old. We protect against lost, theft and damage. Visit http://www.ensquared.com

michael383

Reaction score
If I pay full retail at another carrier since Big Red is dragging their feet in getting it to us, can I activate it at Verizon after I purchase a SIM card from them?

jgmecarter

Reaction score
If I pay full retail at another carrier since Big Red is dragging their feet in getting it to us, can I activate it at Verizon after I purchase a SIM card from them?

No you can not do that. Verizon runs on a completely different network. Verizon is one of those companies that want you to use their brand and nothing else.

EL Lacost

Reaction score
Scenario 1: I have grandma's basic phone line eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade that line and get the S4. I will need to activate the S4 phone on this line (grandma's basic phone no longer works now). Go home and the very next day log in to My Verizon and put grandma's basic phone back on, using the switch and activate button. Then put the S4 to my line, therefore preserving my Unlimited! Go back to Verizon for a new SIM card.
Scenario 2: instead of paying full price of $699 or whatever, I would add a line (if you don't have five lines) and get the S4. The very next day, log on to My Verizon using the switch or activate button and change this new line phone to an old basic phone I have, so this new line costs me $9.99 per Month. Then activate the S4 on my line preserving my unlimited. Math: 2 years at $9.99=$240 plus $199 upgrade price or whatever it will be is certainly lower than a full $699 full retail price. Don't forget to go back to Verizon for a new SIM card! Do this on your own. I don't think Verizon can do this for you in the store anymore. You can order on line and pick up in store when it's released or maybe Verizon will have pre-order or something.

Good sir have u done this? And also how long shall i wait to give my mom her old phone back and add the s4 to my line? A couple hrs 1 day 1 week?

Rise Phoenix Rise

jacobbones

Reaction score
I currently have unlimited and have been up for an upgrade.

Went online to see about pre-ordering but I Cant decide if I want to go full retail.

Basically Will cost me another $20 a month on the plan to go to a 4gb month with hotspot, about $40 more if I do the share everything with 4gb.
So over the course of the 2 years of the contract it will about add up to the retail price of $650. So Now the question is do I want to shove out $650 +tax up front.

I read about the device payment plans they now offer, which would be like $55 a month for 12 months but you keep your unlimited.
But seems you have to go through a verizon store so I would have to wait til its out etc..

I think I'd rather just put it on my credit card and pay it off over time than deal with the greasy butt holes at the verizon store.

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
Im upgrading from the sS3. I have a friend who owns a Verizon store and he's selling me the s4 for 575 no tax. I buy all my phones out right so i don't lose my unlimited data. I also heard that you can upgrade through Verizon at full retail and keep your unlimited data and pay for the phone over the coarse of 12 months. I saw that on droid life i believe

jseah

Reaction score
I currently have unlimited and have been up for an upgrade.

Went online to see about pre-ordering but I Cant decide if I want to go full retail.

Basically Will cost me another $20 a month on the plan to go to a 4gb month with hotspot, about $40 more if I do the share everything with 4gb.
So over the course of the 2 years of the contract it will about add up to the retail price of $650. So Now the question is do I want to shove out $650 +tax up front.

I read about the device payment plans they now offer, which would be like $55 a month for 12 months but you keep your unlimited.
But seems you have to go through a verizon store so I would have to wait til its out etc..

I think I'd rather just put it on my credit card and pay it off over time than deal with the greasy butt holes at the verizon store.

Or if you have a credit card promo, you can pay it off over time with no interest. For example, if you have a Best Buy credit card, then you get 18 month no interest on any purchases over $449.

jacobbones

Reaction score
Thats what Im thinking, Put it on a card with nothing on it with low interest and do it that way

boidsonly

Reaction score
I was going to give the GS4 a pass and go for the LG Optimus Pro; then read somewhere it might be an ATT exclusive so, I guess I will focus on the GS4. But, I will wait several months and buy it from someone off CL at a substantial discount (like I did our SGS3's). VZW charged me $26 (each) for the SIMs and transfer effort. The important thing is I kept my unlimited plan-that matters the most to me.

jseah

Reaction score
VZW charged me $26 (each) for the SIMs and transfer effort.

Did you go into a Verizon corporate store or a Verizon authorized retailer? From what I understand, Verizon corporate will give you the SIM card for free. Or if the store is reluctant to hand over a free SIM card, you can always call into customer service and they will send you a free SIM.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'll be going to the 2Gig limit from a grandfathered unlimited. The deciding factor for me was running the analysis line chart on my Verizon for the previous 6 months and I never hit 1Gig once. I'm usually on wifi and don't remember the last time I tethered. For me it's a no-brainer.

Dad burn 5/28 is a long way off! :biggrin:

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'll be going to the 2Gig limit from a grandfathered unlimited. The deciding factor for me was running the analysis line chart on my Verizon for the previous 6 months and I never hit 1Gig once. I'm usually on wifi and don't remember the last time I tethered. For me it's a no-brainer.

Dad burn 5/28 is a long way off! :biggrin:

I understand the move completely, and wish it made sense for me to do the same.

However, looking at my usage, along with my daughter, over the past 6 months we've averaged 4.5 - 9gb. Switching to the 10 GB plan would cost considerably more than the discounted unlimited package that I have now.