Who's paying full retail for the Galaxy S4?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Now that's interesting. Do I tell them I want to do all this or do I have to go in or call a few times to get it worked out that way?

Most Verizon reps are aware that this is one way to retain unlimited, some are knowledgeable enough to explain it, some might not be aware until they actually see it done. But it is 100% legit and according to their own plans and policies.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

jseah

Reaction score
I have unlimited data and use about 1.2 GB a month. I am going to get the SG 4 and go onto the 2 GB plan. I have read countless of posts of people that are going to outright buy a phone to keep unlimited data. They must use a lot and it may make sense for them. However if you never go over it why pay for it. 2 GB is plenty for me. Spending an additional 500 bucks doesn't make sense for me. But everyone has different requiments.

Here is the clincher in my particular situation. I have 5 smartphone lines, all with unlimited data. I got the Verizon Talk Text & Data promo back in 2011, where I get a $20 discount per line off of the cost of the unlimited data plan. Averaging out the 5 lines, we are using about 2 GB per line. So switching to Share Everything would require us to get the 10 GB data share, which would effectively leave us no room for data usage growth. Also, in addition to losing unlimited data, this would also cause us to lose the Talk Text and Data promo. So this would mean that even if we were to keep our data usage under 10 GB per month, our bill would effectively increase by $100 a month. So for us, it really is break even over using upgrade pricing and giving up unlimited data, or paying full retail. $100 a month means $2,000 over the 20-month upgrade eligibility cycle. Over 5 lines, that works out to be $400 per line, which roughly is equal to the handset subsidy.

jacobbones

Reaction score
I have one for ya.

I currently have a single line contract with unlimited. Can I add a line and get the s4 at the reduced rate, then activate the phone on the first line and cancel the second?
Not sure if adding a line will make you lose the unlimited or not.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have one for ya.

I currently have a single line contract with unlimited. Can I add a line and get the s4 at the reduced rate, then activate the phone on the first line and cancel the second?
Not sure if adding a line will make you lose the unlimited or not.

Adding a line won't cause you to lose your unlimited data. You would choose a tiered data plan for that line instead of shared. The line you add will have a tiered plan and a two year contract so you can't cancel that line without paying a termination fee (you can cancel the data on that line but not the line). Your original line has the unlimited data so canceling that line will defeat your purpose.

Kabilos

Reaction score
Most Verizon reps are aware that this is one way to retain unlimited, some are knowledgeable enough to explain it, some might not be aware until they actually see it done. But it is 100% legit and according to their own plans and policies.

My brother is a store manager of a VZW and he told me about this, and also he mentioned that the sales reps will not bring it up becuase they do not get commission on this. So unless your buddy buddy with someone, don't expect the reps to just offer this to you, they make nothing on it, whereas full retail they would get a cut, and a new tiered service plan they would get commission.

ObieNobie

Reaction score
When the upgrade on your phone is available on your phone in October, you can transfer your upgrade to her line and then you can use it to buy the S4 at a subsidized price on her line. After you buy the S4 on her line, you have to make sure you first activate it on her line (which will renew her contract and prompt to choose a data tier package for her line). Once it has been activated on her line, you will be free to move it to your line without losing your unlimited data.

In addition, after activating it on her line, then moving it to your line, you can actually put a dumb phone back on her line and then cancel the tier data package on her line.

After doing this will it reset the second line so it's upgrade isn't for another 2 years? Or will it still have an upgrade in April?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
After doing this will it reset the second line so it's upgrade isn't for another 2 years? Or will it still have an upgrade in April?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Whichever line the upgrade was used on and activated on will have the two year contract updated also. Ie. If you use the upgrade on line 1111 to purchase the phone at a subsidized price, then have that new phone activated on line 1111, then the contract on that line will be extended for two years. If you use the upgrade on line 1111 to purchase the phone at a subsidized price but activate that new phone on line 2222, then line 2222 contract will be updated for another 2 years... AND if line 2222 has unlimited data, initial activation of the subsidized phone on that line will force you to choose a tiered package, causing you to lose your unlimited.

More simply stated (I think)... you can buy the phone at a subsidized price on an eligible upgrade but that new phone must be first activated on a line that has tiered data (or that you don't mind having it switch to tiered data). Whatever line that subsidized phone is first activated on will get an upgraded contract. Once that new phone has been activated it can be switched to any other line without any changes being made to that line.

rbw62

Reaction score
Goodbye VERIZON supporters. I had no idea this forum was dedicated to Verizon supported devices only.
Since this is the case, I am unsubing, and deleting this pos.

Sent from Batcave

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Hmmm... Just curious, how did he get to a "Master Droid" without knowing it's mainly Verizon around here?

jseah

Reaction score
And he uses a Thunderbolt, which is a Verizon only device.

ablank

Reaction score
I have unlimited data currently on my RAZR; I'm really unsure of what to do next as far as phone upgrades. What do you guys think about t mobile's new plan options? I really like the s4 so far and my account has two upgrades on it.

davidwilp

Reaction score
My recommendations...Buy the S4 on upgrade for your daughters line. You will have to choose a tiered data package for her line. Once the S4 is activated on her tiered line, give her your old smart phone, activate it on her line and that will free up the S4 to be activated on your line without losing your unlimited data.

@tismydroid What if we are on a family share plan and everyone else in our family is an additional line?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
@tismydroid What if we are on a family share plan and everyone else in our family is an additional line?

Unfortunately until Verizon brings unlimited back then the only way to get unlimited is if you currently have it and maintain your grandfathered unlimited status. If you're on the family share plan you can easily use an eligible upgrade to get the s4 at the subsidized price.