Best route to take when buying phone at full retail price.

jacobbones

Reaction score
So I have decided to purchase the S4 at full price.
After doing the math I have figured that the increase in my bill from upgrading will add up to the same as the full phone price. Plus I keep my unlimited data by buying full pop.

Just wondering basically whats the best place to buy it from? Should I just order it from verizon, or go to bestbuy etc..
I am hoping I can find it from a good online retailer that doesn't charge tax to new york. Like newegg or something.

Any info is helpful. I have always just done the upgrade thing and got the phone through verizon.

jseah

Reaction score
Don't buy full retail from Best Buy. Their full retail price is always higher than full retail from anywhere else, including the carrier. For example, Best Buy's non-upgrade price for the Galaxy Note II is $800, while Verizon lists it for $700. The same $100 price differential exists for the Galaxy SIII as well. Although you should be able to get Best Buy to price match it now with their new price matching policy. Unfortunately, Verizon, Best Buy, and Amazon will all charge New York sales tax. New Egg doesn't charge NY sales tax, only orders made to California, New Jersey or Tennessee.

masters

Reaction score
Best Buy's "new" price matching excludes phones, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Hmm.. Since noone answered the original question, I guess noone knows.. I don't want to lose my unlimited also.. I think it's worth it.

droidworld

Reaction score
Hmm.. Since noone answered the original question, I guess noone knows.. I don't want to lose my unlimited also.. I think it's worth it.

Just have to browse around. Cost is pretty much the same every where. I'll have to pay full price as well

fastsnake98

Reaction score
If you buy the phone from a Verizon Corporate store you can pay it off over 12 months with a $2 per month charge. That's if you don't want to pay for all of it upfront.

masters

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to figure how much it would cost over the long term, especially since we need two (2) phones.. We use about 2-3GB /mo and sometimes 4-5GB occasionally 6..

Either pay Full Retail for 2 phones and keep our unlimited plan price..

OR

Get both phones on discount, and get the 4GB Plan (which is a higher cost than what I'm currently paying) and lose the unlimited. And end up paying the overages from time to time.

To much questionable math..

DevonM

Reaction score
If you'll be using a decent amount of data(and I don't see how you wouldn't with this awesome phone and 4G) and it costs more per month for the shared data plans, definitely keep the unlimited and buy the phones retail. The costs will probably balance out in a year, and you won't have to feel like you can't use your awesome new device to its full potential.

Or of course if you know of someone who is due for an upgrade use theirs. :)

wcjeep

Reaction score
It was quite a bit cheaper for me to buy my phone out right. I bought mine from a corporate store. The new full payment plan looks nice.

droidworld

Reaction score
I'm finding out that the Verizon payment program is the best option for myself. Verizon will allow you to keep your unlimited data and you can pay within 12 months sounds like a no brainer

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
Im just putting the phone on a credit card that has no balance and put 50 bucks or so a month on it til its paid off.

I just wasnt sure if there were any advantages to buying from one place or another.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Jacobbones; most phones will stay at retail, some places have a different retail, idk how. The price tends to stay the same til they are no longer in production.

I want to open a store and sell 3 month old, new phones, at slashed pricing.

Should go belly up in about 30 days. Lol.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Well if your a reward zone member at best buy then buying at best buy would be an advantage :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Droid Forums

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
I just went onto verizons site and logged in and tried to buy the phone at full price but It only gives me the options to upgrade device or add a line.
I dont see anyway to just buy the phone.

Anybody know if its possible to just buy one through verizon without adding plans etc..? The verizon site went all wonky on me so Im waiting to talk to do online chat with support.

IdaMonster

Reaction score
I just went onto verizons site and logged in and tried to buy the phone at full price but It only gives me the options to upgrade device or add a line.
I dont see anyway to just buy the phone.

Anybody know if its possible to just buy one through verizon without adding plans etc..? The verizon site went all wonky on me so Im waiting to talk to do online chat with support.

I can't speak for Verizon but the Tiger Direct website has the option to buy the phone with no contract. This should allow you to keep your unlimited data without an upgrade by just switching the number over.

Cell Phones: Choose Cell Phones by Motorola, Nokia, Samsung & more...

On the left hand side be sure to select the option noting that you are looking to purchase a replacement phone with no contract.

Specific link for Verizon S4 in Black: Samsung Galaxy S 4 Black Mist - 4G LTE for Verizon Wireless - Wireless for TigerDirect.com

Price wise, I don't know if this is a good deal or not... it does seem to potentially be 50 dollars more than if you were to purchase the device directly from Verizon. It may be faster to call and speak to a representative, the chat option on their website is not always available due to the amount of consultants busy.