Who's paying full retail for the Galaxy S4?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I guess for those who have unlimited data getting this phone will still mean you are not able to use wireless hotspot feature?

Um...sure, if you say so. But I have unlimited data, I use about 1.5 Gigs a month and Verizon wants me to go tiered. I'm starting to ask the question, do I need unlimited data? The whole idea of having unlimited is never having to worry about going over, but I would most likely never go over, so I dunno.

PatG

Reaction score
Um...sure, if you say so. But I have unlimited data, I use about 1.5 Gigs a month and Verizon wants me to go tiered. I'm starting to ask the question, do I need unlimited data? The whole idea of having unlimited is never having to worry about going over, but I would most likely never go over, so I dunno.

I have unlimited data and use about 1.2 GB a month. I am going to get the SG 4 and go onto the 2 GB plan. I have read countless of posts of people that are going to outright buy a phone to keep unlimited data. They must use a lot and it may make sense for them. However if you never go over it why pay for it. 2 GB is plenty for me. Spending an additional 500 bucks doesn't make sense for me. But everyone has different requiments.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
So, I am due for an upgrade in May and word like to upgrade to the s4 if I use my upgrade would that mean that I would have to switch to a tiered plan? Last time I upgraded to the razr maxx I did not have to lose my unlimited data, did VZW change something? I do not want to pay full retail for a phone when I have an upgrade available.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
So, I am due for an upgrade in May and word like to upgrade to the s4 if I use my upgrade would that mean that I would have to switch to a tiered plan? Last time I upgraded to the razr maxx I did not have to lose my unlimited data, did VZW change something? I do not want to pay full retail for a phone when I have an upgrade available.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will lose your unlimited data if you decide to upgrade at a subsidized price, they stopped the subsidized and keep your unlimited data last June, if you decide to go the subsidized route your unlimited is no more, they will sign you up to a new tiered plan. Unless you can find the phone at a cheap price somewhere and just add it to your existing plan.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am almost hesitant to pay full price for a phone unless my bill will be cheaper (ala T-mobile).

jacobbones

Reaction score
Im up for an upgrade and still have unlimited data that I dont want to lose so Im kind of up in the air.

I usually only use about 2-2 1/2 gb of data a month.

Gotta do the math, if I pay an extra $500 for the phone retail. Im kinda losing. If I have the lowest tier 2gb data plan and lets say I go over each month and have to pay an extra $10 for the 1gb overage. In 2 years that only $240 and chances are it would happen a few times.

Cant decide though. Im really, really, really sick of my droid x2 and my area finally has 4G so I want a new phone

rhindon

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I will pay full price or wait until my upgrade (October, I think). I like my unlimited data but it would take me over 2 years to make up the difference in cost (if the S4 is $600 and the upgrade price is $200 - $400 cost difference/$15 per month savings on my plan) I would be paying between my current plan and the Share Everything plan . Meantime, kiddo is almost 13 and has a basic phone now, but not sure what the future holds for her data wise between now and then. If I get her a different phone before I make up the difference, I'll have to switch to Share Everything anyway. What do you guys and gals recommend? Am I missing anything?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not sure if I will pay full price or wait until my upgrade (October, I think). I like my unlimited data but it would take me over 2 years to make up the difference in cost (if the S4 is $600 and the upgrade price is $200 - $400 cost difference/$15 per month savings on my plan) I would be paying between my current plan and the Share Everything plan . Meantime, kiddo is almost 13 and has a basic phone now, but not sure what the future holds for her data wise between now and then. If I get her a different phone before I make up the difference, I'll have to switch to Share Everything anyway. What do you guys and gals recommend? Am I missing anything?

My recommendations...Buy the S4 on upgrade for your daughters line. You will have to choose a tiered data package for her line. Once the S4 is activated on her tiered line, give her your old smart phone, activate it on her line and that will free up the S4 to be activated on your line without losing your unlimited data.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

rhindon

Reaction score
My recommendations...Buy the S4 on upgrade for your daughters line. You will have to choose a tiered data package for her line. Once the S4 is activated on her tiered line, give her your old smart phone, activate it on her line and that will free up the S4 to be activated on your line without losing your unlimited data.

Good idea; only problem is that she's not eligible for an upgrade until next April. :angry:

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
If I go for the S4 (which is looking good given the fact that I've pretty much got the wife's nod in the bag - LOL), I'll drop to the 2 gig plan. I've never gone over 2 gig in the past.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Good idea; only problem is that she's not eligible for an upgrade until next April. :angry:

When the upgrade on your phone is available on your phone in October, you can transfer your upgrade to her line and then you can use it to buy the S4 at a subsidized price on her line. After you buy the S4 on her line, you have to make sure you first activate it on her line (which will renew her contract and prompt to choose a data tier package for her line). Once it has been activated on her line, you will be free to move it to your line without losing your unlimited data.

In addition, after activating it on her line, then moving it to your line, you can actually put a dumb phone back on her line and then cancel the tier data package on her line.

rhindon

Reaction score
When the upgrade on your phone is available on your phone in October, you can transfer your upgrade to her line and then you can use it to buy the S4 at a subsidized price on her line. After you buy the S4 on her line, you have to make sure you first activate it on her line (which will renew her contract and prompt to choose a data tier package for her line). Once it has been activated on her line, you will be free to move it to your line without losing your unlimited data.

In addition, after activating it on her line, then moving it to your line, you can actually put a dumb phone back on her line and then cancel the tier data package on her line.

Now that's interesting. Do I tell them I want to do all this or do I have to go in or call a few times to get it worked out that way?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Although I rarely go over 1gig of data, I have used much more when traveling on the road (sometimes the hotel wifi just stinks). Otherwise I'd stick with the subsidized upgrades.

That said, my Rezound is doing just fine and none of the new phones interest me in upgrading at full retail. Just a waste of money, which is exactly what many do. I suppose it's not horrible if you can get $200 for you existing phone to help reduce your net cost. But if I had a lesser phone it might be a different story.

Besides I think if you have a good phone you might be making a very costly mistake. Maybe a universal carrier phone that is rumored from a few OEM's is worth waiting for (though I can't see myself leaving VZW). But I'm very curious to see what happens with VoLTE coming (and like LTE, might want to wait for the 2nd gen models) - new or revised plans might change the economics entirely.

And what if VZW eliminates unlimited data and forces everyone onto a tiered plan? VZW has almost always honored grandfathered contracts, but you never know. I'd be irate dropping $700 on a new phone only to be forced onto tiered plans 6 months later when I would have gotten a subsidized phone.