Who's paying full retail for the Galaxy S4?

davidwilp

Reaction score
Unfortunately until Verizon brings unlimited back then the only way to get unlimited is if you currently have it and maintain your grandfathered unlimited status. If you're on the family share plan you can easily use an eligible upgrade to get the s4 at the subsidized price.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I am on unlimited now. If I upgrade and want the $250 or thereabouts price I have to sign a new contract and no more unlimited.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
My wife and I get 17% off of are bill and accessories that we buy from Verizon because of where she works. Does anyone know if I would get that 17% off if we pay full retail for the S4? Either way I am going to buy the S4 at full price. I love my unlimited data to much. The only problem that I have is that I love my note 2. The S4 is a great phone and I am going to get one to go with my Galaxy Nexus, 2 S3's, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy camera and my note 2. I told my wife that when I get the S4 after I play around with it for a week or two she could use it. But she told me that she loves her S3 and does not want the S4. So I guess it will make a great back up to my note2. I can not wait for the S4 features to come to the note 2

davidwilp

Reaction score
My wife and I get 17% off of are bill and accessories that we buy from Verizon because of where she works. Does anyone know if I would get that 17% off if we pay full retail for the S4? Either way I am going to buy the S4 at full price. I love my unlimited data to much. The only problem that I have is that I love my note 2. The S4 is a great phone and I am going to get one to go with my Galaxy Nexus, 2 S3's, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy camera and my note 2. I told my wife that when I get the S4 after I play around with it for a week or two she could use it. But she told me that she loves her S3 and does not want the S4. So I guess it will make a great back up to my note2. I can not wait for the S4 features to come to the note 2

Even though I don't know you I am going to do you a big favor. After you play with the S4 a few weeks since your wife doesn't want it I will give you 50% of what you pay for it and I will take it from you.:biggrin:

jseah

Reaction score

The discount is off of accessories, and handsets are not considered accessories, so no the discount would not apply. That would be sweet if it did, since I get 25% off of accessories.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
The discount is off of accessories, and handsets are not considered accessories, so no the discount would not apply. That would be sweet if it did, since I get 25% off of accessories.

We get the 17% off of are bill every month as well.

Stevo223

Reaction score
I still have unlimited from verizon, im going to try and weasel them into using my upgrade and keep the unlimited data, I tether a lot (20-30 gigs a cycle) and i NEED the unlimited. lol

But if i have to i will pay full retail. the phone is probably going to be 700$ anyway. its going to pay for itself with the amount of data i use.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still have unlimited from verizon, im going to try and weasel them into using my upgrade and keep the unlimited data, I tether a lot (20-30 gigs a cycle) and i NEED the unlimited. lol

But if i have to i will pay full retail. the phone is probably going to be 700$ anyway. its going to pay for itself with the amount of data i use.

Yea good luck with that, LOL.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Scenario 1: I have grandma's basic phone line eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade that line and get the S4. I will need to activate the S4 phone on this line (grandma's basic phone no longer works now). Go home and the very next day log in to My Verizon and put grandma's basic phone back on, using the switch and activate button. Then put the S4 to my line, therefore preserving my Unlimited! Go back to Verizon for a new SIM card.
Scenario 2: instead of paying full price of $699 or whatever, I would add a line (if you don't have five lines) and get the S4. The very next day, log on to My Verizon using the switch or activate button and change this new line phone to an old basic phone I have, so this new line costs me $9.99 per Month. Then activate the S4 on my line preserving my unlimited. Math: 2 years at $9.99=$240 plus $199 upgrade price or whatever it will be is certainly lower than a full $699 full retail price. Don't forget to go back to Verizon for a new SIM card! Do this on your own. I don't think Verizon can do this for you in the store anymore. You can order on line and pick up in store when it's released or maybe Verizon will have pre-order or something.

nalgon

Reaction score
Scenario 1: I have grandma's basic phone line eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade that line and get the S4. I will need to activate the S4 phone on this line (grandma's basic phone no longer works now). Go home and the very next day log in to My Verizon and put grandma's basic phone back on, using the switch and activate button. Then put the S4 to my line, therefore preserving my Unlimited! Go back to Verizon for a new SIM card.
Scenario 2: instead of paying full price of $699 or whatever, I would add a line (if you don't have five lines) and get the S4. The very next day, log on to My Verizon using the switch or activate button and change this new line phone to an old basic phone I have, so this new line costs me $9.99 per Month. Then activate the S4 on my line preserving my unlimited. Math: 2 years at $9.99=$240 plus $199 upgrade price or whatever it will be is certainly lower than a full $699 full retail price. Don't forget to go back to Verizon for a new SIM card! Do this on your own. I don't think Verizon can do this for you in the store anymore. You can order on line and pick up in store when it's released or maybe Verizon will have pre-order or something.

On scenario 2, what happens when im out of contract? Can I get the additional line do swap and cancel my original line?

ms4teacher

Reaction score
When the upgrade on your phone is available on your phone in October, you can transfer your upgrade to her line and then you can use it to buy the S4 at a subsidized price on her line. After you buy the S4 on her line, you have to make sure you first activate it on her line (which will renew her contract and prompt to choose a data tier package for her line). Once it has been activated on her line, you will be free to move it to your line without losing your unlimited data.

In addition, after activating it on her line, then moving it to your line, you can actually put a dumb phone back on her line and then cancel the tier data package on her line.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Did it for my wife's phone close to 6 months ago.That is the only way to go to keep your unlimited.Most reps won't tell you this but it works like a charm! ( That is, until they decide to force everyone onto the tiered plan.)

Sent from my RAZR MAXX with faulty speaker!!

wvdroidman

Reaction score
no when you get the phone on the out of contract line it attaches itself to that line using that line's upgrade. So even though you switched it to another line the line you bought it on is NOW in a new 2 year contract.

MakoSDV

Reaction score
Probably going to switch to T-Mobile and pay full retail. I have Unlimited data (don't need it though), but no texting and only 450 minutes. T-Mobile will be cheaper than my current VZW plan, but with unlimited voice and texting with 2GB data. Just concerned about the coverage... Wish VZW was more competitively priced.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I figure that as soon as the S4 is released, prices on used S3's will drop substantially. Since I can get a very gently used, in box, S3 on Craigs List for $300-$325 now, I'm hoping to pick one up in a few weeks for under $250.

lisalisa13

Reaction score
I figure that as soon as the S4 is released, prices on used S3's will drop substantially. Since I can get a very gently used, in box, S3 on Craigs List for $300-$325 now, I'm hoping to pick one up in a few weeks for under $250.

Just saw on Verizon website the gs3 is marked down to $99. Very tempting but think I'm still gonna have to go for s4. I still have a month to decide