Verizon's Galaxy Nexus Press Shot

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So what do you think the main factor was on VZW ageeing to the Nexus? I'd guess pressure from Google or maybe the Nexus phones have had very high sales numbers? Again, I wish sales numbers were published by phone model!

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This little demon is what I know as the reason I decided to root in the first place. Darn thing was always running.

+ 1 on this but for me is was just because it was there and I did not want it there. I was pissed it could not be uninstalled.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what do you think the main factor was on VZW ageeing to the Nexus? I'd guess pressure from Google or maybe the Nexus phones have had very high sales numbers? Again, I wish sales numbers were published by phone model!

Not really sure. As a whole, I don't think the previous Nexus devices sold that well actually. However, I do think Android's continual rise to the top has given Google more power with the carriers. Google could have laid an ultimatum of sorts with Verizon. Either they carry the Nexus, or Google pulls their Android lineup. Highly doubtful, but you get where I'm going. Android is more than popular enough on other carriers and around the world. Verizon has no choice but to follow suit.

sb1831

Reaction score
Not really sure. As a whole, I don't think the previous Nexus devices sold that well actually. However, I do think Android's continual rise to the top has given Google more power with the carriers. Google could have laid an ultimatum of sorts with Verizon. Either they carry the Nexus, or Google pulls their Android lineup. Highly doubtful, but you get where I'm going. Android is more than popular enough on other carriers and around the world. Verizon has no choice but to follow suit.

Google doesn't have the stroke to threaten VZW with that sort of ultimatum. No one is going to make any demands to a company that has that much market share and the biggest LTE network in the U.S. Google isn't going to buy the phones that companies wouldn't sell on VZW. No manufacturer is simply going to make a conscious decision to stop building devices for google. It would be CEO suicide

otmlb1128

Reaction score
So what's the deal with pre-ordering? When I got my OG Droid, I went into the store the day before release and someone just put one aside for me. I came in the next morning at open and picked it up and paid for it. Is it typical now for every phone in stock on the first day to be taken by a pre-order? I'm tentative to pre-order just because I want to see it first, but if that's the only way to get it within the first week or so, I might just do that.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google doesn't have the stroke to threaten VZW with that sort of ultimatum. No one is going to make any demands to a company that has that much market share and the biggest LTE network in the U.S. Google isn't going to buy the phones that companies wouldn't sell on VZW. No manufacturer is simply going to make a conscious decision to stop building devices for google. It would be CEO suicide

What good does it do for Verizon to carry the Nexus then?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Good point, if they cant pack it with bloat then what good is it to them?! Maybe they will EOL the Charge and push the big HD screen and ICS and hope for decent sales numbers that way. I just hope it doesnt become the red headed step child!

Jonas

Reaction score
I think that when you have the name google on a phone, and you have a large company like verizon, they have to be combined at some point. Its growth for business. The more toys you have, the more kids you attract.

sb1831

Reaction score
Careful with that, Apple did and they were successful. Not one bit of bloat on the iPhone at all. So yes, it can be done.

The Apple iPhone is one phone. Apple had far more stroke in their situation that Google does. Apple produces 1 new device a year. How many devices in a year are put out by manufacturers with Android on them? How many manufacturers are really going to say that they're just going to stop producing android devices for VZW? None or else they'll be the next Nokia. No CEO is stupid enough to think that they can stop producing for VZW and survive. Google isn't stupid enough to think Android's market share won't plummet without phones on VZW.

A carrier misses one Android device and lets a leak out that they passed up a device because something better was about to be released on the network. Not like that hasn't happened before

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
What I'm saying is that Google did flex their muscle with the Nexus. I don't think Google cares overall what the carriers do with their individual phones, but I believe Google views their Nexus as Apple views their iPhone and puts very specific requirements on it that must be adhered to. And I absolutely believe they made this known to Verizon and conditioned this specific phone.

Jonas

Reaction score
Honestly, I think most people buy phones like my parents do. They decide they hate their current phone, go storming into verizon, and whatever the sales rep points them at they go ahead and buy it. I think that 80% of phone users don't even care what a nexus is or what it does. I think they just want a cool phone that makes calls. Of course I may be wrong, but that's what I have seen.

sb1831

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that Google did flex their muscle with the Nexus. I don't think Google cares overall what the carriers do with their individual phones, but I believe Google views their Nexus as Apple views their iPhone and puts very specific requirements on it that must be adhered to. And I absolutely believe they made this known to Verizon and conditioned this specific phone.

That interpretation, I would be more open to. I could see it as a take it or leave it situation. I believe that there were still last minute doubts over the new iPhone bc of facetime. VZW was forced to cave there bc of there being only one iPhone. I'd actually be more likely to believe that google is caving to VZW though seeing as neither of the previous Nexus devices have exactly sold well.

sb1831

Reaction score
Honestly, I think most people buy phones like my parents do. They decide they hate their current phone, go storming into verizon, and whatever the sales rep points them at they go ahead and buy it. I think that 80% of phone users don't even care what a nexus is or what it does. I think they just want a cool phone that makes calls. Of course I may be wrong, but that's what I have seen.

Pretty much this. 95% of people I know won't even buy a phone from VZW online bc they don't want to deal with the hassle of being home to sign for a pack, potential backorders, etc. Older people will pay more for the convenience of going into a store and seeing something hands on and getting it 5 minutes later because it's worth it to them.

mikeinctown

Reaction score

More like 95% or higher, except that people do research and still don't care about rooting or anything else. they just want something that works.

And I find it funny how people have no clue what is going to come on the new phone, yet everyone seems sure it will be how they want it to be.

Bottom line, if it is fast, has decent battery life, and does what it is supposed to do, people will buy it and in droves.