Verizon's Version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Revealed to Be Thicker than GSM Version

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-galaxy-nexus2.png

Although this shouldn't really come as a surprise because of the LTE radio squeezed in there, but Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Nexus has been shown to be a bit thicker than the GSM version of the phone. As you can see in the picture above, Verizon's LTE version on the right is 9.47 mm, but the GSM version on the left is 8.94 mm thick. To give you a good comparison & contrast, the Droid Bionic is about 10.16 mm, and the Droid RAZR is 7.1 mm.

Also of note is that the Verizon version will have an 1850mAh battery instead of the 1750mAh on the GSM version, which also makes the Verizon version weigh in about 150 grams more. If you want to see the updated full specs on Google's Nexus page, along with a 360 degree view of the phone, you can check it out here: Google - Galaxy Nexus.

Source: AndroidCentral

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I don't mind a slightly thicker phone, and maybe it's just the illustration, but why does the thicker Nexus seem to not have the more silver-ish look of the thinner one? I hope it's not just matte gray plastic.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't mind a slightly thicker phone, and maybe it's just the illustration, but why does the thicker Nexus seem to not have the more silver-ish look of the thinner one? I hope it's not just matte gray plastic.

Bad picture. It will look exactly like the phone on the left.

konsciousk

Reaction score
Since it had to be a little thicker because of the LTE radio anyway, I'm glad they put in the 1850mAh battery.

MickeyG

Reaction score
<rant>I love everything I'm hearing about the Nexus except its size. What is with this trend toward ginormous phones? I want to put it in my pocket, not hang it on the wall...</rant>

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
<rant>I love everything I'm hearing about the Nexus except its size. What is with this trend toward ginormous phones? I want to put it in my pocket, not hang it on the wall...</rant>

Maybe call middle earth and ask some of the hobbits what small phones they use?! ;)

King_Bean

Reaction score
I'm not a phone expert like you guys...that being said, I don't understand how they were able to stuff LTE into the Razr's thin form factor but can't do the same for the Galaxy Nexus

Masshole

Reaction score
My wife works for a Verizon retailer and received an updated road map for phone releases today which indicates the
Galaxy Nexus has been pushed back to the beginning/mid December. :icon_evil:

Trapper31

Reaction score
150 grams is a little over 5 ounces, which is more than the Razr... Should this be 150 grams total, and not additional to the GSM version?

Black C5 Z06

Reaction score
You must have really tight pockets lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not a phone expert like you guys...that being said, I don't understand how they were able to stuff LTE into the Razr's thin form factor but can't do the same for the Galaxy Nexus

I'm guessing it has to do with Moto and their radio be slimmer for the sole purpose of fitting into the Razr.

At least the Nexus has a removable battery. It's not that much thicker, but I see why you want it to be thinner especially if the Razr is so thin. When not comparing it to the Razr, it's one of the thinner smartphones out there.