[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

bplewis24

Reaction score
I'd say they (Thunderbolt owners) probably believe the fact that their bills are the exact same and haven't changed.

Brandon

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Tiered plans

I have read that the new tiered plans are going to be implemented on July 7th. Well, my wife has been waiting until her upgrade to get a smart phone, but that is not until July 19th. That is just TOO close to loose out on the unlimited data for 30$! I could understand buying into the new system if her upgrade was months away, but 12 days!?!?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Verizon to let us upgrade not at full price in order to grab unlimited data for 30$? Could I buy a smart phone off of ebay or craigslist and change her line to unlimited data and then when her upgrade was available go in and pick out the phone that she really wants? To piggy-back that question, would a used blackberry work or are they still on a separate BB data plan?

Thank you in advance.
B

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have read that the new tiered plans are going to be implemented on July 7th. Well, my wife has been waiting until her upgrade to get a smart phone, but that is not until July 19th. That is just TOO close to loose out on the unlimited data for 30$! I could understand buying into the new system if her upgrade was months away, but 12 days!?!?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Verizon to let us upgrade not at full price in order to grab unlimited data for 30$? Could I buy a smart phone off of ebay or craigslist and change her line to unlimited data and then when her upgrade was available go in and pick out the phone that she really wants? To piggy-back that question, would a used blackberry work or are they still on a separate BB data plan?

Thank you in advance.
B

Thread merged. We have a few active threads right now on the tiered data, and your thread is not specific to the X. Please search before starting a new thread.

jseah

Reaction score

Thank you in advance.
B

You could do that (get a smartphone off of ebay and put it on so you can get unlimited data now) or you could also try contacting Verizon (go through the Verizon website and send an email through the "Contact Us" page, stores are not very helpful) and ask if they will move your upgrade eligibility date so you can get the phone now.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
thank you for the reply! I might try and do that...I wish I had my storm now...I sold it to help pay for my X. I wonder if I can dig out my old Samsung windows phone out of my daughters toy box!!! HA HA

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

Thank you in advance.
B

You could do that (get a smartphone off of ebay and put it on so you can get unlimited data now) or you could also try contacting Verizon (go through the Verizon website and send an email through the "Contact Us" page, stores are not very helpful) and ask if they will move your upgrade eligibility date so you can get the phone now.

Why couldn't you just add the data plan to the existing phone, even if you don't have a smart phone. What do they care or will they just not let you do it unless you have a smart phone ?
My old Motorola clam shell had a data plan for surfing the web.

Psykho

Reaction score
A smartphone data plan is different

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score

Thank you in advance.
B

Why couldn't you just add the data plan to the existing phone, even if you don't have a smart phone. What do they care or will they just not let you do it unless you have a smart phone ?
My old Motorola clam shell had a data plan for surfing the web.

Do you have any friends or family on Verizon who might have upgraded smartphones recently? I'll bet you know at least a few people with smartphones sitting in their junk drawer. Maybe someone could let you borrow one for a few weeks?

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Yup...I have a friend with an old blackberry...as long as the "smartphone plan" is still the same...I think when I had my storm it was a different kind of smartphone plan only for blackberries. Surprisingly, all of my friends have blackberries and not droids or any other smart phones.

Beka27

Reaction score
Yup...I have a friend with an old blackberry...as long as the "smartphone plan" is still the same...I think when I had my storm it was a different kind of smartphone plan only for blackberries. Surprisingly, all of my friends have blackberries and not droids or any other smart phones.

I've never had a BB, but from what I've gathered, the BB plan is different than the regular smartphone plan. So that leaves Ebay or Craigslist, get something cheap and activate it.

Psykho

Reaction score
A blackberry plan is different then a smartphone plan at the moment I wonder what they will do with the new plans a lot of people still have BBs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

UNC

Reaction score
I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but 4g and 3g are not the same data plan.... It clearly says on my bill 4g internet access, 4g app access, etc. I can put the pic up here again...

I asked and got to keep my 4g on the bill even though I returned the TB.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but 4g and 3g are not the same data plan.... It clearly says on my bill 4g internet access, 4g app access, etc. I can put the pic up here again...

I asked and got to keep my 4g on the bill even though I returned the TB.

Alright... well to clarify the situation:

When the tiered data rates take effect on july 7th............. both unlimited 3g and 4g will make no difference.. A data plan will be a data plan. It will probably continue to say 3g or 4g data on your bill because there has to be some sort of means to track 3g and 4g usage by the company as well as the consumer to differentiate the two in their statistics.

Walker231T

Reaction score
I went to my local Verizon store today and SPECIFICALLY asked that if switching from a 3G phone to a 4G phone after the 7/7 cut off date...."will I be able to keep my unlimited data??" And they said YES! He sited the employee email that Verizon sent out, that he had in his hand.

He specifically pointed to these 2 points in the memo:

1. If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.

2. You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)

So I asked him about the difference about different sku #'s in the system for 3G & 4G and he said that would make NO difference. As of right now Verizon does not make any distinction between their data other than the different sku's. I then asked if he could call Corporate to confirm this and also log to my account that I was here and asked about it just to CMA. He didn't seem really happy about doing it but he did. He even handed me the phone to talk with the person on the other end and confirm what he was saying. I told him I didn't think he was lying or anything but I wanted it on the record so if Verizon tried to pull anything when I upgrade in 2012, I had it noted. He said I was about the 100th person that had been in today asking that same exact question with the same exact scenario. I told him Verizon needs to make a public statement about this so people will know exactly what is going on.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You will most likely lose the unlimited data plan if you change your phone minutes, although there has been no word on that. Its all my opinion and speculation based on my experience with Verizon over the last 16 years. The only times I have lose the calling plan or features of a calling plan was when I switched to a smartphone but that was because I HAD to change to a data plan, but I have gone from the moto q to the bb storm, to the og Droid, Droid 2, and now to the x and the ONLY thing I have had to change in that time frame was the type of data plan but that's because bb's had (not sure if they still do) their own specific email & web plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums