Verizon Finally Confirms Usage-Based Data Plans Coming July 7th

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It hasn't been a very well kept secret that Verizon was planning to change their Data Plans to a new tiered platform. Not only have we had hints of it for several months, but also, over the last couple of weeks we knew all the dirty details already. Now, Verizon has come forward themselves to confirm practically everything we already know, although their "official" plans come online on the 7th of July as previously reported.

This sure seems like a backwards step for the industry, and this kind of pricing will only get worse if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger goes through. At any rate, there's only a couple days left to jump on an unlimited data plan now.

Source: Engadget and FierceWireless
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This does indeed appear a backwards move. I guess it all depends on what each person uses their phone for. More phones seem to be coming out with HDMI connections. I guess I won't be using that to watch movies through if I was on such a plan. I don't know how big each Netflix movie is but if a HD movie adds up to a GB and you are over your limit then that is an extra 10 bucks per movie. Why sell a device that has all sorts of multimedia streaming capabilities and then put a cap on it.

While you'd have to take a 1000 1mb photos that auto-uploaded to the cloud to reach a gig that is another area to watch. I just signed up for Google+ and I've toggled on the setting to send all movies and pictures to the cloud. On a tiered plan I'd have to watch that.

Finally, for anyone really pinching their MB's, they sure wouldn't want advertisements sucking up extra bandwidth either. Making folks pay to see/watch ads makes no sense to me either.
  3. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

Enters Sprint and the Evo...
  4. pollardhimself

pollardhimself New Member

Picking up a craigslist omnia 2 today.. to hold me till the bionic comes out
  5. freezyfreaky

freezyfreaky New Member

LOL. Maybe someone can do a cost/benefit analysis to find out at what point purchasing an ad-free app would be cheaper than paying for the bandwidth use for the ads on an ad-supported free app.
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

My business rep sent this to me earlier today:

Your existing smart phone plan/feature will be grandfathered.

If you need to add any phones to your account. The tiered pricing will apply to them after 7/7/11

I interpret his reply as: as long as I keep my current phone/plan (Droid/unlimited) I will not move to the new tiered structure. However, once I get a new phone I will be subject to the new tired structure.
  7. christim

It makes sense that your existing plan, the one you have a signed contract for already, would be honored. Legally it should be. "grandfathered" typically means those already there get the old benefits. I see no favor in honoring a legally signed contract. I expected no less. I've also heard the rumors that for those already on an unlimited data plan they can renew and will be grandfathered under the old plan. That is definitely a favor. Which it is...I do not know.

My renew time is after the 7th. It might turn out to be I can get a new phone under the old plan, or keep my current phone until my 2 yr contract expires in November. I suspect we will know for sure in a couple of days.

Obviously it would be nice to be able to pick up any phone before my contract is up and get the unlimited plan extended for 2 more years.
  8. brad92

brad92 New Member

That is really expensive... and terrible. Makes me want Sprint even worse, especially if I am not grandfathered into unlimited if I upgrade to a 4G phone like everybody says I will be able to do...

sent from my ApeX
  9. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

And that is my dilemma! Do I go tonight or tomorrow and get a new phone?

UGH!!!!!!!!!! Sometime change is not good!
  10. Abadus

Abadus New Member

Adding phones would be like my wife upgrading to a smart phone. Which sucks big time. I would be grandfathered with my droid but she would not.

ATM not to worry for me, I don't stream anything but Pandora. Work just put the kibosh on headphones so I can't even do that anymore.

Sprint needs to get a better network before I think about switching.
  11. TayDee

TayDee Member

Ever since i got my router my data usage has gone down significantly. One month I had about 30gb of data, right now im 13 days into my cycle and I only used 60.31 mb so far.

With that said, I hate the fact that verizon is doing this, but when or if i get the droid 3 I guess I'll go with the 2gb package for only $30
  12. jerryq2

jerryq2 New Member

So if you dont have an unlimited 4g phone ?

I own a droid X does this mean when I do eventually get a 4G phone I will no longer have unlimited?
  13. christim

Remember too that wifi connections won't count. If you streamed Pandora at the local coffee shop that doesn't apply to the limited-bandwidth counter.

On the flip side...If I only get 2GB I should be able to suck down half of that via tethering without paying even more for that privilege.

And...are there rollover bytes? :)

Go today or tomorrow, see what the store says, and then get it in writing if they say you are allowed at least one additional renew of your existing contact under its original pricing scheme.

And then send me a copy [​IMG]
  14. cirtbrethren

cirtbrethren New Member

I'm in this exact same boat. We'll wait and see what happens.
  15. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Okay, so everything we already knew is confirmed. Cool.

But here's the real question now: at what point does Verizon start throttling for unlimited users?

Since the vast majority of their customer base will be grandfathered users for the short/mid-term future, I can see many of them going buck wild on 4G data where accessible. Are they going to start throttling at any point? Top 5%? >10GBs?

Brandon
  16. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Your phone plan is grandfathered for that particular line of service. So if you upgrade to a new phone on THAT plan, it will remain unlimited.

However, if you add phones to your account, that is a reference to adding a new line of service. In that case they would be on a tiered plan.

Brandon
  17. christim

I'm not sure folks really will go buck wild on 4G. I know some people who watch HBO or Netflix on their phones but I'd think most would prefer to watch it on a TV or computer screen. Of course I could be wrong, as I think of all those who ride the train for an hour or so one way to work.

I know there was the whole Hulu thing. It worked on phones. It did not work. It worked again, then it did not again. I would think a viewer would be a viewer, no matter how small.

Toss tablets in the mix and now maybe there is more cause for concern.

Except, I can get myself a 30-40/month internet connection that is just as fast as 3G. It is stuck at my house but the point is the providers are not going broke selling me that feed at that price.

Like a car that can go 210 MPH but sucks down the entire tank of gas in 10 minutes I don't see how 4G will work out if it lets us consume huge amounts of data but costs 10 bucks a GB to do so. I'm fine if my Netflix movie takes 30 minutes to buffer. It still is quicker than driving to the rental outlet. It is what it is though. Now we get to see how it plays out.
  18. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Leavin Sprint and the BBerryTour.......:icon_ banana:
  19. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

We can sit and discuss this to death, but ultimately by Verizon's denial and unwillingness to talk about this has damaged their credibility. I don't trust what they say after customer service called me 3 weeks ago denying the changes. Let me tell you how I deal with issues like this, Cox kept jacking their rates up and tomorrow DirecTV comes for an install. Alternate services may not rival the quality of Verizon, but if enough people leave them they will eventually... FACT!
  20. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

This is why I had my wife come to Verizon with me (she was on ATT) two weeks ago. She got a Thunderbolt and is now grandfathered in for unlimited. But wow...2gb for $30 a month. Correct me if I'm worng, but isn't that more than ATT's pricing?
Search tags for this page

verizon july grandfather unlimited