1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Update June 21st: Big Red’s executive director of corporate communications, Brenda Raney made the following email comment to AllThingsD confirming the July time-frame of this article, "We will move to a more usage based model in July. We’ll share more later." There is still no word yet on whether the leaked pricing plans are accurate, but there have been no denials either, which does not bode well.

This story just broke over at Droid-Life. Tiered data plans from Verizon has been one of the hottest and most controversial conversation topics over the last couple of months. After several stories it looks like we will finally get the full picture officially from VZW on or about July 7th. But, in the meantime, we can already be informed because the plans have been leaked. Here is the breakdown from the Droid-Life story quoted below:
    From the looks of this pricing it is about $5 bucks more per month than AT&T's plans. It's entirely possible that this could change before it is officially announced July 7th, but at least we have an idea now.

Source: Droid-Life
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. barski

barski New Member

This is garbage. I hope anonymous and lulz hack the crap out of Verizon wireless.:icon_evil:
  3. aayoo

aayoo New Member

Looks like wifi is going to be my best friend when i upgrade to 4g device. For now i'll be enjoying my grandfathered unlimited data with my DX on 3G, streaming music and movies until my heart is content.
  4. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Wow. Glad I just got my Thunderbolt now.
  5. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

i'm sorry but i'm looking for a little clarification. Are these the per line rates, or are these going to be the shared data rates for use on all accounts in the household? If these are per line rates they're going to have to pull my $29.99 data rate from my cold dead hands. I'll go buy two Charges the day before and tell em to chew bricks.
  6. Steeeler

Steeeler New Member

I guess Im going to have to take advantage of the "grandfather" clause for awhile. Once I have no choice but to get new phones, I might be forced to look somewhere else.

Hate to go there but Vzw is getting too expensive.
  7. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

ok, so i know this is leaked info as of now, but by this i am to understand that a 3g device that i have now which i pay 25$ a month (i think, i do get a discount due to where i work) for unlimited data, that the next contract i sign will cost me 30$ a month for 2gb of data? that seems like a pretty steep increase, i was prepared to pay more for data, and not be able to have unlimited anymore, but come on this is insane! If thats the way VZW wants to play ball then im switching teams no doubt about it, and depending upon other prices i may no longer have a smartphone at that point. I know my single account cancellation will not effect VZW in the grand scheme of things, but i just wont be taken advantage of like that. Ive been a customer for close to a decade, and im sure many of you have too..in my opinion we deserve better than this, including new customers for that matter..

i really hope that the official plans are better priced, but im not holding my breath, as the news i find here at DF is usually pretty close to actuality.

If i am reading the provided information wrong, then i apologize, and please disregard this rant.

thanks
  8. Beardface

Beardface New Member

Yeah, that would be TOTALLY AWESOME

Man, I can't wait till they cripple Verizon's service, bringing down the abilities of millions of paying subscribers because some hackers aren't happy. Man, that would be totally sweet to completely ruin those services for their own personal gain.

Let me guess, you're one of the people who tethers 20GB a month while using their PS3, laptop, and other various devices through their phone.
  9. Beardface

Beardface New Member

To anyone who is royally peeved about this leaked announcement, don't voice your anger at Verizon.

Voice your anger towards the thousands of rooters who illegally tethered hundreds of thousands of GBs a month by running their home network through the Verizon data plan. Verizon didn't have to do this, but the incessant selfishness of the idiotic few completely forced their hands, and now we ALL have to pay for it.

So to you, the idiot abuser who streamed 200GB per month in data while using their phone as a router, PS3/XBox server, while downloading and uploading countless amounts of Torrents, I want to personally thank you for gouging our pockets in the future. You are awesome! Hope the Torrents of SpongeBob and the blazing speeds while playing Halo or Modern Warfare were totally worth it.
  10. Diab210

Diab210 New Member

Wow those are awful. I guess it encourages you to take advantage of the lte network since its not priced more but... $30 for 2gb of data? Ugh... thats absurd.
  11. Chocula78

Chocula78 New Member

This sucks. I regularly stream Netflix and Pandora. I go through about 2-3 gb's a month no problem. Guess I'm stucking buying phone full price. What should I buy on July 6th as my last with-contract-priced phone?

wireless providers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  12. Sileem

Sileem New Member

$30 for 2GB? That's absurd, it should at least be 5GB for that much. Looks like I'll be looking somewhere else once I need a new phone.
  13. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

Well that sucks. I wonder what they're going to charge if you go over.
  14. steveninspokane

steveninspokane New Member

Can I get a little help understanding all this?

How does this affect family plans?

Does this only apply to phones purchased after vzw officially sets these into stone?

Grandfather clause?

Thanks in advance.
  15. Beardface

Beardface New Member

From everything I've read...
    $10 per GB if you go over.
  16. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

to be honest I saw this coming. But here is my take. Since I am on a tiered data plan then i should be able to use a wifi tethering app. I am paying for my data and I should not have to pay an extra 20 bucks to do it. So If i go tiered Ill get the 5gig plan and I will not feel guilty using a pdanet or wifi tethering because I am actually now paying for the data I am using and I should be able to use it how I want.

Ps: This is not a green light to start a back and forth bicker about the tos.
  17. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

I know you guys are emotional but please watch the language.
  18. JayR_

@beardface-- i totally understand your aggression towards the tetherers that most likely ruined this for everyone, and i am by no means trying to start a feud with you, but do you think this is the only way? i mean come on, those prices are ridiculously inflated.. do you agree?
  19. JayR_

agreed 100% percent with this and go niners!! woot
  20. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

Unless there is a family plan, where the family can buy 2GB for $30, everybody gets screwed. My wife uses less than 200MB a month and I have never used more than 600MB. If we can pay $30 for a shared 2GB then it is a big win for us. If we each have to pay $30 then we get no break at all and anyone who uses over 2GB a month has to pay more. I'm waiting to see the rumored family data plans, if they exist at all.
Search tags for this page

ipod mb1473

verizon tiered data backfire