[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_logo_grey.jpg

Update June 21st: Big Red’s executive director of corporate communications, Brenda Raney made the following email comment to AllThingsD confirming the July time-frame of this article, "We will move to a more usage based model in July. We’ll share more later." There is still no word yet on whether the leaked pricing plans are accurate, but there have been no denials either, which does not bode well.

This story just broke over at Droid-Life. Tiered data plans from Verizon has been one of the hottest and most controversial conversation topics over the last couple of months. After several stories it looks like we will finally get the full picture officially from VZW on or about July 7th. But, in the meantime, we can already be informed because the plans have been leaked. Here is the breakdown from the Droid-Life story quoted below:
Data plans:

2GB – $30/month
5GB – $50/month
10GB – $80/month

If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

Data plans w/ tethering:

4GB – $50/month
7GB – $70/month
12GB – $100/month

If you go over your purchased amount of data, it will cost you $10 per 1GB.

Tablet data plans will now go to $30 for 2GB of data as well instead of $20 for 1GB of data that is currently available.

We have also been told that this is for both 3G and 4G smartphones and that there are not separate plans depending on device.
From the looks of this pricing it is about $5 bucks more per month than AT&T's plans. It's entirely possible that this could change before it is officially announced July 7th, but at least we have an idea now.

Source: Droid-Life

Last edited:

barski

Reaction score
This is garbage. I hope anonymous and lulz hack the crap out of Verizon wireless.:icon_evil:

aayoo

Reaction score
Looks like wifi is going to be my best friend when i upgrade to 4g device. For now i'll be enjoying my grandfathered unlimited data with my DX on 3G, streaming music and movies until my heart is content.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
i'm sorry but i'm looking for a little clarification. Are these the per line rates, or are these going to be the shared data rates for use on all accounts in the household? If these are per line rates they're going to have to pull my $29.99 data rate from my cold dead hands. I'll go buy two Charges the day before and tell em to chew bricks.

Steeeler

Reaction score
I guess Im going to have to take advantage of the "grandfather" clause for awhile. Once I have no choice but to get new phones, I might be forced to look somewhere else.

Hate to go there but Vzw is getting too expensive.

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok, so i know this is leaked info as of now, but by this i am to understand that a 3g device that i have now which i pay 25$ a month (i think, i do get a discount due to where i work) for unlimited data, that the next contract i sign will cost me 30$ a month for 2gb of data? that seems like a pretty steep increase, i was prepared to pay more for data, and not be able to have unlimited anymore, but come on this is insane! If thats the way VZW wants to play ball then im switching teams no doubt about it, and depending upon other prices i may no longer have a smartphone at that point. I know my single account cancellation will not effect VZW in the grand scheme of things, but i just wont be taken advantage of like that. Ive been a customer for close to a decade, and im sure many of you have too..in my opinion we deserve better than this, including new customers for that matter..

i really hope that the official plans are better priced, but im not holding my breath, as the news i find here at DF is usually pretty close to actuality.

If i am reading the provided information wrong, then i apologize, and please disregard this rant.

thanks

Beardface

Reaction score
This is garbage. I hope anonymous and lulz hack the crap out of Verizon wireless.:icon_evil:
Yeah, that would be TOTALLY AWESOME

Man, I can't wait till they cripple Verizon's service, bringing down the abilities of millions of paying subscribers because some hackers aren't happy. Man, that would be totally sweet to completely ruin those services for their own personal gain.

Let me guess, you're one of the people who tethers 20GB a month while using their PS3, laptop, and other various devices through their phone.

Beardface

Reaction score
To anyone who is royally peeved about this leaked announcement, don't voice your anger at Verizon.

Voice your anger towards the thousands of rooters who illegally tethered hundreds of thousands of GBs a month by running their home network through the Verizon data plan. Verizon didn't have to do this, but the incessant selfishness of the idiotic few completely forced their hands, and now we ALL have to pay for it.

So to you, the idiot abuser who streamed 200GB per month in data while using their phone as a router, PS3/XBox server, while downloading and uploading countless amounts of Torrents, I want to personally thank you for gouging our pockets in the future. You are awesome! Hope the Torrents of SpongeBob and the blazing speeds while playing Halo or Modern Warfare were totally worth it.

Diab210

Reaction score
Wow those are awful. I guess it encourages you to take advantage of the lte network since its not priced more but... $30 for 2gb of data? Ugh... thats absurd.

Chocula78

Reaction score
This sucks. I regularly stream Netflix and Pandora. I go through about 2-3 gb's a month no problem. Guess I'm stucking buying phone full price. What should I buy on July 6th as my last with-contract-priced phone?

wireless providers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sileem

Reaction score
$30 for 2GB? That's absurd, it should at least be 5GB for that much. Looks like I'll be looking somewhere else once I need a new phone.

matt2783

Reaction score
Well that sucks. I wonder what they're going to charge if you go over.

Reaction score
Can I get a little help understanding all this?

How does this affect family plans?

Does this only apply to phones purchased after vzw officially sets these into stone?

Grandfather clause?

Thanks in advance.