Verizon Finally Confirms Usage-Based Data Plans Coming July 7th

bplewis24

Reaction score
Picking up a craigslist omnia 2 today.. to hold me till the bionic comes out

My business rep sent this to me earlier today:

Your existing smart phone plan/feature will be grandfathered.

If you need to add any phones to your account. The tiered pricing will apply to them after 7/7/11

I interpret his reply as: as long as I keep my current phone/plan (Droid/unlimited) I will not move to the new tiered structure. However, once I get a new phone I will be subject to the new tired structure.

Your phone plan is grandfathered for that particular line of service. So if you upgrade to a new phone on THAT plan, it will remain unlimited.

However, if you add phones to your account, that is a reference to adding a new line of service. In that case they would be on a tiered plan.

Brandon

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure folks really will go buck wild on 4G. I know some people who watch HBO or Netflix on their phones but I'd think most would prefer to watch it on a TV or computer screen. Of course I could be wrong, as I think of all those who ride the train for an hour or so one way to work.

I know there was the whole Hulu thing. It worked on phones. It did not work. It worked again, then it did not again. I would think a viewer would be a viewer, no matter how small.

Toss tablets in the mix and now maybe there is more cause for concern.

Except, I can get myself a 30-40/month internet connection that is just as fast as 3G. It is stuck at my house but the point is the providers are not going broke selling me that feed at that price.

Like a car that can go 210 MPH but sucks down the entire tank of gas in 10 minutes I don't see how 4G will work out if it lets us consume huge amounts of data but costs 10 bucks a GB to do so. I'm fine if my Netflix movie takes 30 minutes to buffer. It still is quicker than driving to the rental outlet. It is what it is though. Now we get to see how it plays out.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
We can sit and discuss this to death, but ultimately by Verizon's denial and unwillingness to talk about this has damaged their credibility. I don't trust what they say after customer service called me 3 weeks ago denying the changes. Let me tell you how I deal with issues like this, Cox kept jacking their rates up and tomorrow DirecTV comes for an install. Alternate services may not rival the quality of Verizon, but if enough people leave them they will eventually... FACT!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is why I had my wife come to Verizon with me (she was on ATT) two weeks ago. She got a Thunderbolt and is now grandfathered in for unlimited. But wow...2gb for $30 a month. Correct me if I'm worng, but isn't that more than ATT's pricing?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I own a droid X does this mean when I do eventually get a 4G phone I will no longer have unlimited?

As I just said in my previous post, my wife got a Thunderbolt two weeks ago and is grandfathered in for 3G and 4G as unlimited. I asked if I were to upgrade next year to a 4G phone if it would be grandfathered and 4G and he said yes. He said "unlimited data is unlimited data. It doesn't matter if its 3G or 4G. You're grandfathered in". Lets see if that still rings true next march.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So... which wireless providers have unlimited data? For future reference... I think my dad is getting pretty fed up with Verizon and wants to switch later down the road.

grannynancy

Reaction score
Ungh I tried upgrading online this am from an env touch to a droid (I am eligible) and it told me I would have to put the smartphone on a separate (non family) plan. So I am picking up the phone at 8am to figure out what the heck is going on. I wanted to change two of our lines to smartphones.

It could be the env Touch we have on the other lines is complexifying things.

Trying to do this TO-DAY because that is the day we got eligibility status.

virtaclesmile

Reaction score
I have nothing really constructive to add only that I feel bad for all the poor saps that want to come over to the big red 'cause of the superior 4g speeds only to have to spend an unbelievable amount in data. I know I have used a sh!t ton in a weekend at my work. Then add in the $20 extra a month for mobile hotspot feature to take advantage of the 4g and it could get ridiculous. I'm also aware that one could root the phone and get wifi tether......I'm just lamenting for those that do not want to and are not technically inclined to root.

jseah

Reaction score
So... which wireless providers have unlimited data? For future reference... I think my dad is getting pretty fed up with Verizon and wants to switch later down the road.

As of tomorrow, the only "Tier 1" carriers with unlimited data is Sprint, and T-Mobile. One caveat is that T-Mobile really isn't unlimited though since once you go over 2 GB, then they cap you at EDGE speeds instead of billing you overages. And if T-Mobile does get bought by AT&T, then unlimited may be a thing of the past for them. Sprint has also said that they are keeping their options open as to whether they will tier in the future.

Some MVNO's like Metro PCS also offer unlimited data, but that will probably be a thing of the past two, once they see data usage go up and the Tier 1 carriers they are buying their service from start charging them more.

grannynancy

Reaction score
Just got in on the old plan. Only difference from last time is 14 days, not 30 to return a phone if we don't like it. I now have a usage limit on the 2 env touches we are keeping on the family plan but we just don't use those phones that much for data - it is so slowwwwwww......So now entering the world of droids. Me with the thunderbolt and my daughter with the droid 2 global (she really really really wanted that physical keyboard even though it is not a 4G phone and she is in a 4G market)

Phew. I am probably one that won't hit the 2GB limit but want the speeds. My daughter, however....I can only imagine.

jseah

Reaction score
Just got in on the old plan. Only difference from last time is 14 days, not 30 to return a phone if we don't like it. I now have a usage limit on the 2 env touches we are keeping on the family plan but we just don't use those phones that much for data - it is so slowwwwwww......So now entering the world of droids. Me with the thunderbolt and my daughter with the droid 2 global (she really really really wanted that physical keyboard even though it is not a 4G phone and she is in a 4G market)

Phew. I am probably one that won't hit the 2GB limit but want the speeds. My daughter, however....I can only imagine.

FYI, the Droid 3 launches tomorrow, so your daughter can always return the Droid 2 Global and exchange it for the Droid 3 (she has 14 days), although Verizon will charge her $35 for a restocking fee. FWIW, I think it will be worth it.

grannynancy

Reaction score
That is a great suggestion. We will keep our eyes open. I was told the 14 days started when the phone was actually activated [hope that is true]. IT is being shipped to me and I have to send it to her (insured for full value of course)

If we bought online do we have to swap out online or can she go to a store - Assume the difference in price would play in as well? Well I can research that. Don't want to dereail the thread which was about the July 7 date.