Verizon Implementing Tiered Data Plans Soon

Reaction score
I kind of understand the caps but what I want is that when you go over the cap you are not paying a ridiculous price. Something like $25 for 2gb then $10 gets you another GB (automatically) would be great.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's widely known that Verizon's "unlimited" is NOT unlimited. Verizon is 5 gigs a month, beyond which Verizon charges a per megabyte rate. The consensus I recall from discussions on droidforums is that Android phones are given an extra 5 gigs a month, making them able to do 10 gigs a month, but they are still soft-capped, not unlimited.

So, introducing tiers gives people more options, not less. There IS already a tier on Verizon now for something ridiculously small like 100 or 250 megs/month. So anyway, I don't know what the fuss is about. Only Sprint and Clear have "unlimited" unlimited and even they have "fair use" clauses so you can't go crazy.

Unless Verizon gets really greedy with the higher tiers and charge more than the current price for the current cap, this is just more options for less money for people who don't need 5 gigs/mo.

And yes, someone mentioned 4G... With 4G you could download 5 gigs in a few hours; something HAS to change with 4G coming at us. I've had the pleasure of trying Sprint 4G and where it works it is pretty darned fast. My highest speedtest was 8mbit download speed, with an average around 3-5.

Sorry to tell you this but it's widely known that unlimited means unlimited. We've discussed this many, many times and I don't know where you get your information but you're dead wrong.

You are wrong i have been over 10 gig many times.. never charged more than normal (had 2 months where my broadband card was lost)

nerdkill

Reaction score
It's widely known that Verizon's "unlimited" is NOT unlimited. Verizon is 5 gigs a month, beyond which Verizon charges a per megabyte rate. The consensus I recall from discussions on droidforums is that Android phones are given an extra 5 gigs a month, making them able to do 10 gigs a month, but they are still soft-capped, not unlimited.

So, introducing tiers gives people more options, not less. There IS already a tier on Verizon now for something ridiculously small like 100 or 250 megs/month. So anyway, I don't know what the fuss is about. Only Sprint and Clear have "unlimited" unlimited and even they have "fair use" clauses so you can't go crazy.

Unless Verizon gets really greedy with the higher tiers and charge more than the current price for the current cap, this is just more options for less money for people who don't need 5 gigs/mo.

And yes, someone mentioned 4G... With 4G you could download 5 gigs in a few hours; something HAS to change with 4G coming at us. I've had the pleasure of trying Sprint 4G and where it works it is pretty darned fast. My highest speedtest was 8mbit download speed, with an average around 3-5.

stop spreading misinformation, verizon unlimited is unlimited and in order to activate a droid you have to be on a minimum $30 data plan.

here is what the fuss is about. what is the point of getting data quickly if you can't use it. it makes no sense in my opinion to get lte when you're never going to be able to enjoy it. hey look how great my sling box looks on my phone! and it's only costing me $100 a month in data! lte is not going to be financially useable on any kind of functional level. i'm sticking with my 3g unlimited and then going to sprint. i'd rather have slower 4g unlimited than tiered lte.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
579702 kb = 579.7 MB. 1000kb = 1 mb, thus 1000mb= 1 GB[/quote]

So 579702 kB = 579.7 MB = .580 GB. Just move the decimal 3 places (and round up) depending on which way you are converting. 5 Gigs would be a lot for you at this point. What plan do you have now?[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the info it is very onformative. I have the unlimited data package now. I normally will not use this much though I think it is just cause I just got the X this month and have been playing around with it alot to get used to it. As long as Verizon grandfathers in the unlimited data for those of us who already have it that will be cool. If not and we have to get a package I should be ok too, I think?

npro1464

Reaction score
I have about 10 months left on my current contract. I had an Env touch until recently, when I bought a Droid 1 off of Craigslist. I got it activated with unlimited 3G. If this goes into effect, will I be "grandfathered." Will I be able to keep unlimited 3G if I reup my contract in July? Or should I try to get into a new contract before they implement this (I'm due for an early upgrade, per the family plan)? Thanks.

Zarniwoop

Reaction score
So then, the word Unlimited is mentioned on the Android data plan page when you choose that phone.

Feature Detail

But in the Terms and Conditions at Terms & Conditions It states that:
Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect.

My apologies for confusing the Data CARD cap at 5GB with the Phone's "unlimited" plan. Tether users should be aware of the standard disclaimer regarding violation of Terms & Conditions when using any tether capability that isn't natively included with the phone :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
D'OH! ;)

My previous post was for the unlimited.

Until Verizon cracks down on 3rd party tether apps, though, the fact remains that tethering is frowned upon but not prohibited. Just tread lightly.

I got over 10GB routinely, but I've had several months where I've hovered around 5GB. No nastygram so far.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There is NO current 5gb cap on mobile web and never has been.
Before wifi I used more than that every month and never got an over charge. Broad band cards, yes. Mobile web no.
Before people start freaking out look at what he said and how vague it is. The only thing concrete is it will NOT be the same as ATT.
I posted this article on Howard forums yesterday morning and other than a capitalism debate it didn't make any waves.
Just chillax and lets see how it shakes out as far as tethering, grandfather, caps, tiers, etc. Right now its 4-6 months away according to the CEO and a lot will happen by then, possibly including concrete news of when the fruit phone is coming, as he seemed to change his tune on verizon not wanting or needing it

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk