Verizon Plans to Move to Tiered Data Pricing in Summer

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL

The purpose of this thread is to discuss grandfathered plans and understanding how to keep them. If a grandfathered plan is no longer offered your "point corrections" are exactly things that would cause you forfeit a grandfathered plan. Please troll someone else.

2. shortsxit

shortsxit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you even know what a troll is? I'm giving correct information so you don't screw anyone over with your misinformation. The fact that you changed one of your arguments after the first post just proves that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    While it makes sense to me that you can't get a discounted phone because your "grandfathered plan" is no longer available to sign up for, I'm curious to how they will handle these cases:
    1) Changing minutes or adding texts, etc. Supposedly this takes away grandfathered status, I wonder how that works online since you can change features without touching the data plan portion.

2) Activating a new phone on an existing plan. Doesn't seem like you could just activate an LTE phone on an existing 3G plan and carry on business as usual. But I wonder what happens if you deactivate an old phone to put a new one (purchased retail) on an account.

I just can't imagine VZW sitting on their hands if even a small number of users are racking up huge LTE data usage on grandfathered $30 unlimited plans.

4. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    Ok I'll bite...

Your first point... sure you can buy a subsidized phone at a discounted price if you intend on paying for both your grandfathered plan AND your subsidized contract. The whole purpose of having a plan grandfathered is so you can keep it at the discontinued rates. What you're suggesting is that someone buy a phone at a discounted price and start a new two year contract... and then switch the subsidized phone over to the grandfathered plan? Why would anyone do that? You'd then be paying for two plans? Am I misunderstanding you?

Your second point... Yes, you are free to begin a new "contract" at any time BUT it has to be within the bounds of current plans offered. You can't make up a plan that your carrier has gotten rid of. For instance if you have a grandfathered 4G unlimited plan and you want to start a new term of service for another phone you can't get the grandfathered plan on ANOTHER phone. You have to use a pricing plans that they currently offer.

Third if you attempt to adjust a grandfathered plan (as an example I repeat THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE) let's say you have a 3GB 4G plan and you're grandfathered in... You can't change it to a 5GB 4G plan at the old rates. You'll have to change it to a 5GB plan that follows the CURRENT pricing model not the 5GB 4G plan that was offered with your grandfathered price model.

I don't know where I misspoke before but I apologize.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Is everything alright in here? I just saw an apology, lets be respectful ok people?

6. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone keep it civil.
    Thank you! :)

7. Carthach

Carthach New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    August 2012 - Bye Verizon. You SUCK!

8. shortsxit

shortsxit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said before, if you are on a grandfathered plan, you are (in most cases) allowed to keep that plan even if you sign a new contract. That's what a grandfathered plan is. Just look at all the people that have signed new contracts and gotten new subsidized Verizon phones even though they're still on old Alltel plans. There are tons of people that are on old single line and family plans that haven't been offered for over 5 years, yet they get new subsidized phones every 1-2 years.

There are even a very limited number of cases in which a new line can be added to a family plan with the terms of the grandfathered plan. This is very rare, obviously, but they do exist.

Anyway, I'm going to bed for a week. See you when the Thunderbolt comes out. dancedroid

9. piquat

piquat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of Alltel, I came from there.

I'm sooooo glad I didn't wait for them to switch and just started a new contract. I wouldn't have been able to get a 1 year and I'd now probably be subject to this.

Really, what's the point of 4g? It's just a faster way to reach your now impending data cap.

The more they do, the more inclined I am to just get a dumb phone next time and a tablet with wifi. Pffft, who would have guessed, I hate tablets. :)

10. DroidMastar2

DroidMastar2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As long as my unlimitted plan with unlimitted data that I shell out about $130 a month to verizon for is grandfathered with unlimited data.... Verizon and i will remain cool. I love Verizonwireless I love the service, I love that I always have service, and the customer service has ALWAYS been awesome for me. IMO... you get what you pay for. I have had nothing but a great experience with verizon wireless thus far.

11. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So in reading this does that mean if I, being already unlimited, would be good as long as I pick up better phones outside of Verizon? Meaning I pick up a Droid 3 from a private party or something to that effect?

12. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My opinion on 4g though.....to me....being always on wifi....4g is just another slow internet connection. Might as well be a dial up modem.

Sorry....but 4g doesn't compete with my 50 down and 25 up....nor the MPLS at work.

Search tags for this page

can verizon raise their prices if you dont sign a new contra