Verizon CFO: No rush for tiered data plans

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 23, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

[​IMG]

On July 25th, AT&T will be implementing its tiered-data smartphone plans. And rumors have been swirling as to the possibility that Verizon may do the same a few days thereafter. Engadget broke a story a few days back, that Verizon could be dropping unlimited data option from its plans as early as July 29th. And just the other day, Verizon sent a memo to its reps, informing them to remain silent on any customer inquiries about a switch to tiered data plans. So what's the latest development? I promise you, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

From Verizon's Thursday earnings call, Verizon CFO John Killian explains how his company is considering the move to tiered data plans, but is no rush to switch just yet:

So, as of now, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief, as Verizon's own CFO discounted the notion of an early switch to tiered data plans. However, when 4G is rolled out, Killian explains tiered pricing will be more than a likelihood:

As was had previously expected (up until the latest barrage of rumors), Verizon will probably hold off the switch to tiered data pricing while the network runs on 3G. However, when 4G is rolls out in November, that's a whole different ballgame.

Source ZDNet
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Good news for sure! Now maybe some of the blogger and blog readers can chill out and relax
  3. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Thanks for the laugh :)
  4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

We could only hope...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. mcsinfl

mcsinfl New Member

corporate BS, dog and pony show....
  6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

glad i could provide you with a chuckle!
  7. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

haha... don't hold back, what are you really thinking?
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

One kind of hopes LTE would alleviate some of the building pressure on 3G. But as he says, it's a business and tiered pricing plans would, in theory, increase customer acquisition and maximize revenues.

I just wonder how beneficial LTE would be to me, ultimately, if I can't drop home broadband and tether. Such an option (unlimited) would be worth somewhere between $50-$80 a month for me.
  9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

None of my contacts within VZW are giving me any info about the tiered data, but they're not telling me it's imminent either.
  10. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Haha, you trying to get me banned or something! LMAO.. If I said what I really felt about the subject i would be bannished
  11. ljprevo

ljprevo New Member

Any idea of what the pricing will be?

I have two Droids in my house. I use mine heavily, however my wife, though she loves the Droid, barely uses the net, and if she does it is at home and she is connected to our own wifi!

I will be ready to switch her to the lowest plan, but don't want to loose my unlimited plan!!
  12. kodiak799

It sounds like VZW CEO made it pretty clear - no tiered pricing until LTE. Perhaps only LTE will offer tiered pricing. And that might make sense if you offer an unlimited package specifically designed for people looking for an alternative to home broadband.

I'm expecting a FIOS bundle at some point. Only makes sense to drive new FIOS subscriptions by enticing their smartphone users with discounted bundled services.
  13. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

Fios/smartphone bundles would be interesting and nifty IF Fios was offered where I live.
  14. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

I wonder how many more tiered pricing threads are going to pop up before it actually happens. I think he made it pretty clear that it will probably come but not until 4G at least. OK moving on....
  15. kodiak799

Same issue here. But hopefully the expansion will coincide with the LTE rollout and they might give us some nice plans. I pay like $115 a month for cable and internet, and FIOS has a comparable package for $80 ($70 first year).