Verizon CFO: No rush for tiered data plans

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2mn2opk.jpg

On July 25th, AT&T will be implementing its tiered-data smartphone plans. And rumors have been swirling as to the possibility that Verizon may do the same a few days thereafter. Engadget broke a story a few days back, that Verizon could be dropping unlimited data option from its plans as early as July 29th. And just the other day, Verizon sent a memo to its reps, informing them to remain silent on any customer inquiries about a switch to tiered data plans. So what's the latest development? I promise you, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

From Verizon's Thursday earnings call, Verizon CFO John Killian explains how his company is considering the move to tiered data plans, but is no rush to switch just yet:

Our business is continuing to perform extremely well. You have not seen us rush out to make any kind of a change. We will continue to monitor the situation, of course, and look at opportunities that will say what is the best equation for us to drive long-term shareholder value, and we will be very focused on that. I cannot say enough, though, about the opportunity we see ahead given where we are today with smart phone penetration. I mean I think 20% of our base today, where is that number going ultimately? Is it 80%? Some people could argue everyone is going to have a smartphone ultimately because that is the kind of device it is going to be. So I think there is tremendous opportunity to continue to drive and create value through Verizon Wireless.
So, as of now, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief, as Verizon's own CFO discounted the notion of an early switch to tiered data plans. However, when 4G is rolled out, Killian explains tiered pricing will be more than a likelihood:

We have indicated in the past, as we move to an LTE world and LTE pricing, we will probably look very hard at tiered pricing, and that continues to be our thinking right now. So more to come on that. By the way, I should say that all of our efforts, all of our plans on getting LTE launched in the fourth quarter are on schedule.

As was had previously expected (up until the latest barrage of rumors), Verizon will probably hold off the switch to tiered data pricing while the network runs on 3G. However, when 4G is rolls out in November, that's a whole different ballgame.

Source ZDNet

Mojo

Reaction score
Good news for sure! Now maybe some of the blogger and blog readers can chill out and relax

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news for sure! Now maybe some of the blogger and blog readers can chill out and relax

haha... don't hold back, what are you really thinking?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One kind of hopes LTE would alleviate some of the building pressure on 3G. But as he says, it's a business and tiered pricing plans would, in theory, increase customer acquisition and maximize revenues.

I just wonder how beneficial LTE would be to me, ultimately, if I can't drop home broadband and tether. Such an option (unlimited) would be worth somewhere between $50-$80 a month for me.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
None of my contacts within VZW are giving me any info about the tiered data, but they're not telling me it's imminent either.

ljprevo

Reaction score
Any idea of what the pricing will be?

I have two Droids in my house. I use mine heavily, however my wife, though she loves the Droid, barely uses the net, and if she does it is at home and she is connected to our own wifi!

I will be ready to switch her to the lowest plan, but don't want to loose my unlimited plan!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like VZW CEO made it pretty clear - no tiered pricing until LTE. Perhaps only LTE will offer tiered pricing. And that might make sense if you offer an unlimited package specifically designed for people looking for an alternative to home broadband.

I'm expecting a FIOS bundle at some point. Only makes sense to drive new FIOS subscriptions by enticing their smartphone users with discounted bundled services.

azules9780

Reaction score
Fios/smartphone bundles would be interesting and nifty IF Fios was offered where I live.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I wonder how many more tiered pricing threads are going to pop up before it actually happens. I think he made it pretty clear that it will probably come but not until 4G at least. OK moving on....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Fios/smartphone bundles would be interesting and nifty IF Fios was offered where I live.

Same issue here. But hopefully the expansion will coincide with the LTE rollout and they might give us some nice plans. I pay like $115 a month for cable and internet, and FIOS has a comparable package for $80 ($70 first year).