[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

Snow02

Reaction score
Right, it clearly states 3G and 4G use the same plan, and anyone with a current data plan can upgrade and not lose it. Everyone can stop freaking out, and just feel sorry for those that get stuck with the tiers because they didn't sign up in time.

Beka27

Reaction score

This is INTERESTING, from the above link:

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

So you will no longer be able to use your company discount on data, UNLESS you have the 5GB plan... I wonder how that affects grandfathered people?

Artimis

Reaction score
Right, it clearly states 3G and 4G use the same plan, and anyone with a current data plan can upgrade and not lose it. Everyone can stop freaking out, and just feel sorry for those that get stuck with the tiers because they didn't sign up in time.

See, I'm still skeptical of this. It states that 3G and 4G is the same in the context of the TIERED plans.

I'm still concerned there is a difference between a $29.99 unlimited 3G and $29.99 unlimited 3G/4G as far as VZW's system is concerned.

Come July 7th, I don't want to find out that I'm limited to 3G phones only in order to keep my unlimited plan since the old plan codes are removed from the system and I can keep my current plan which is geared for 3G.

Does anyone who works for VZW or recently upgraded to a TB, Charge, or Revolution know if plan changes were needed when upgrading?

Snow02

Reaction score

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

So you will no longer be able to use your company discount on data, UNLESS you have the 5GB plan... I wonder how that affects grandfathered people?

Yeah, that didn't specify how it will work. If you just look at what's said, the grandfathered plan is only $30, so the discount would not apply - which would suck.

Snow02

Reaction score

See, I'm still skeptical of this. It states that 3G and 4G is the same in the context of the TIERED plans.

I'm still concerned there is a difference between a $29.99 unlimited 3G and $29.99 unlimited 3G/4G as far as VZW's system is concerned.

Come July 7th, I don't want to find out that I'm limited to 3G phones only in order to keep my unlimited plan since the old plan codes are removed from the system and I can keep my current plan which is geared for 3G.

Does anyone who works for VZW or recently upgraded to a TB, Charge, or Revolution know if plan changes were needed when upgrading?

Learn to interpret english better? There's no ambivalence there. A data plan is a data plan. Grandfathered plans can upgrade without losing their unlimited plan. Since there is no distinction billing-wise between 3G and 4G, there's nothing to worry about.

jseah

Reaction score
i dont know, i hope for the sake of the people who want (not need) unlimited that its true. but i remember a couple of years back verizon voice plan switched from America's choice to Nationwide calling or some crap (pretty much the same voice plan, just a different name that cost more) and would tell you "your phone is not compatible with the old plan" and force you to switch to the new one. They could just do the same thing here.

In other words, grandfathering is not some privilege or something guaranteed. They can just say that your new device is incompatible with the new plan or something. They've done it before, so they could do it again.

I believe they only did that with the Voyager (and one or two other phone). So they didn't require everyone to switch.

I remember when they did that too. It wasnt just for the Voyager either, becasue it happend to me and my GF at the time and neither of us were getting a voyager, it was for any new phone.

Yes, however, if you were upgrading to a smartphone at the time, that did not require a plan change. It only required you adding the data feature. There are many people that did just that, although why they wanted to stay on ACII I don't know. Under ACII, you were not allowed to get data while roaming while Nationwide you did.

jseah

Reaction score

When I got the $20 per line Talk Text and Data discount, it removed the 20% corporate discount on data on my line anyways. Getting $100 off of the $150 price for 5 unlimited data plans versus getting $6 off for a 20% discount on 1 data plan.....no brainer.

Artimis

Reaction score

Learn to interpret english better? There's no ambivalence there. A data plan is a data plan. Grandfathered plans can upgrade without losing their unlimited plan. Since there is no distinction billing-wise between 3G and 4G, there's nothing to worry about.

Has nothing to do with english.....it has to do with the codes stored in the system. Don't get me wrong, I sure hope you are right and there is nothing to be concerned about.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Yes, however, if you were upgrading to a smartphone at the time, that did not require a plan change. It only required you adding the data feature. There are many people that did just that, although why they wanted to stay on ACII I don't know. Under ACII, you were not allowed to get data while roaming while Nationwide you did.

Easy. Why pay $10 more to go from 500 minutes to 700 minutes when you have never used even 400 minutes in any 1 month for 10 years. That is where we were and are still on the 500 minute plan with 2 smartphones.

Cmking76

Reaction score
just a ¿ three of my phones are dumb phones but after words got great deal so i added unlimited data to all their not able to upgrade till next but i do have the plan already what are your thoughts

jseah

Reaction score
just a ¿ three of my phones are dumb phones but after words got great deal so i added unlimited data to all their not able to upgrade till next but i do have the plan already what are your thoughts

Going by the slides that were leaked, it seems to say that upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone, you do not have the option for unlimited data, if the upgrade happens after July 7th.

cynnar

Reaction score
Just want to put this out there for everyone to think about. I started out as alltel customer with phone and mobile broadband (unlimited). Verizon bought alltel and I kept my alltel modem and plan until last month. They didn't really force me to upgrade, but slowed my service down to worse than dialup. Told me it was because they could no longer push prl to device. It was no longer supported and had to be done in store. Take it to store they say has to be corporate store they can't do it there. Head to corporate store and guess what they can no longer service the device. Asked about just buying a new modem and the lame excuse I got was because they were 2 different carriers and could not simply put a Verizon modem on alltel network (are the not one company now?) I could buy the modem out right if o wanted to but they could not honor unlimited because Verizon does not have that option.

All in all I feel like I was forced into an tiered broadband plan.

Just don't expect Verizon to hold up to unlimited. I mean why get rid of it if everyone is going to grandfather in and get to keep it.

Sent from my. OG Droid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What better way for Vzw to launch their 3rd generation Droid then with signing the new d3 owner with a nice new shiny tier data plan right out of the box.

sent from droidforums app