The "Official" Waiting for an Update Thread

davidwar

Reaction score
So for those of us who are not rooted and are not unlocked, I am guessing that the link to this file will not let us upgrade to 4.0.4. Right?

I am not familiar with how to move files to cache and provide permissions, but I would really like to upgrade. Are there some easy instructions to do this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
So for those of us who are not rooted and are not unlocked, I am guessing that the link to this file will not let us upgrade to 4.0.4. Right?

I am not familiar with how to move files to cache and provide permissions, but I would really like to upgrade. Are there some easy instructions to do this?

If you aren't already unlocked, I wouldn't suggest doing so unless you REALLY want to upgrade. It wipes your internal storage when you unlock. If you still want to do it, I'd be happy to help. Just want you to understand what will happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

davidwar

Reaction score
If you aren't already unlocked, I wouldn't suggest doing so unless you REALLY want to upgrade. It wipes your internal storage when you unlock. If you still want to do it, I'd be happy to help. Just want you to understand what will happen.

Got it. Thanks for your offer, but in that case I think I will just have to wait. It is really frustrating to have to wait for this. If you blame Verizon, they blame Google and/or Samsung and vice versa.

sethm1

Reaction score
I have a stock ( not rooted) Gal Nexus. When might I get 4.0.5 ?

sethm1

Reaction score
Before or after 12/21/12 ?

Borrowing my wife's iPhone : "Siri, remind me to install 4.0.5, Dec21st".

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

WookieClaws

Reaction score
That's some good info right there. I'm assuming that doesn't wipe the internal storage? If not, all non rooted users need to follow Jnt's link.

I've been doing some reading on how to do this, what I've seen so far makes it look like your data gets wiped (which is why they say to do a backup). Backup will take longer than I want to spend right now but seems like the way to go. I will look at this more next week, but honestly I'm considering making that backup (apps and all) and rooting/unlocking my phone. There's some really nice looking ROM's out there and with VZW being so slow that seems more and more the way to go.

Reaction score
You have to unlock the bootloader to install the update. As soon as you unlock the bootloader the phone does a factory data reset and cleans itself out and starts like a brand new phone out of the box.

There is no way to apply the update without loosing all your settings and data on the phone. That is the one thing holding me back right now from updating, I don't want to start fresh and loose everything.

I'm giving Verizon until June 1st, then I just might have to bite the bullet and do it.

Steve

Reaction score
I found on another forum, a process that allows you to root without unlocking the bootloader. I'm giving Verizon until next weekend, and if nothing happens I'll be following those instructions to install 4.0.4.

Steve

jerroedr

Reaction score
i was the ill wait for the ota guy on the d1.
Honestly, just root it. update the bootloader, update the radios, ****, load a custom rom. they are awesome.
All that stuff where your like dang I wish my phone did this, or that, custom roms do.... Not to mention free wifi tethering
I rooted my gnex the day I got it. Its easy breazy to do and well worth it