HTC Rep Indicates Official Gingerbread 2.3 Will be Coming to Thunderbolt in Q3

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-thunderbolt-official.jpg

Originally, we were supposed to see an official Gingerbread update come to the HTC Thunderbolt in the second quarter. That possibility is now gone, but according to an HTC rep statement, users have been given the "go ahead" to spread the word of an impending release of the Android 2.3 OS during Quarter 3. This gives them about an 8 week window. Here is the quote from the HTC rep,
…We will certainly pass along your concerns to the developers at HTC. We are working hard to address the issues you have mentioned with future updates for the device. We are excited to announce that the HTC Thunderbolt will receive the Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update in Q3 2011. Stay tuned for details as we get closer to the update availability…
Is it just me, or does it seem like smartphones are getting a bit like PC video games? They release the game or phone to early, then "patch" things later... I realize that an updated Android OS isn't quite the same thing, but they sure have dragged their feet on getting it to us. Better late than never, I suppose...

Source: ThunderboltForums.com via Droid-Life

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any effort that might have gone to GB development had to be re-routed to making sure the freaking phone stopped rebooting, so it put them way behind schedule. It's clear that the TB, for as much as I enjoy it, is definitely a "beta" device for VZW LTE. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming devices in the fall perform with respect to "lessons learned".

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any effort that might have gone to GB development had to be re-routed to making sure the freaking phone stopped rebooting, so it put them way behind schedule. It's clear that the TB, for as much as I enjoy it, is definitely a "beta" device for VZW LTE. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming devices in the fall perform with respect to "lessons learned".

+1 and we knew that when we got the phone.. but they now have the phone stable i have had 0 reboots in last week. i am running CyanogenMod with latest radio..i am extremely happy with the phone..