The official "I got it" thread

diablo85

Reaction score
Question, does the OS show the battery in smaller chunks than 10% intervals? Thats one of the things that annoys me about the D2. Its not a deal break, Im just curious.

not that i've noticed, even after accidentally installing a 1% increment battery icon, still only registered every 10%.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
not that i've noticed, even after accidentally installing a 1% increment battery icon, still only registered every 10%.

Thanks. Do you if the notification icons are still in framework-res\res\drawable-hdpi or is there a different location with Gingerbread?

diablo85

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you if the notification icons are still in framework-res\res\drawable-hdpi or is there a different location with Gingerbread?

yes, the notification icons are still in framwork-res\res\drawable-hdpi. i wound up using ninjamorph to revert back to the stock battery icons. @_@ scary as !@#$ with no sbf available.

system dump located here

Last edited:

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. Im not too worried about chaning icons. Those are just pngs. Youre not really chaning anything. I used Metamorph to change everything about my notication bar and pull down. A nandroid backup would fix anything you might mess up, but Ive done a couple phones and changed mine countless times. Ive even pulled out some apps to change icons. They wont update anymore because the signature changes, but I tweeked messaging, gmail, clock, email, and a few others. All I did though was change Icons

diablo85

Reaction score
it was my first time messing around with ninjamorph, or any form of the /system files that didnt come in the form of a new rom .zip, which made it kind of nerve racking.

bishoy

Reaction score
so my droid2 decided to take a dive in my fish tank this morning. I was going to wait for the Droid4 MAXX if there is one, but i had no choice and bought the droid4 today

LadyHottShott

Reaction score
so my droid2 decided to take a dive in my fish tank this morning. I was going to wait for the Droid4 MAXX if there is one, but i had no choice and bought the droid4 today

You made a great choice!!! My phone can go a day and a half and still have 30% battery on it! And this is after spending hours playing on and it getting new apps. But I have been really utilizing the smart actions, so I think those have helped out a lot in terms of battery life.

RJT185

Reaction score
Last night I upgraded from my DROID2 to the LG SPECTRUM. This morning I went right back in and go the DROID4.

I'm SO psyched to have the Droid 4. :)

dsw1519

Reaction score
Got the d4 last night, coming from the d1. Got the d1 on release day in 2009 so it was barely limping along. So far i am really liking this phone. With no real complaints yet. I took the time to set up smart actions, and also turned off wifi and switching back and forth from 3g to 4 g. Battery life is better than expected.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

mfendley

Reaction score
Ordered 4 through Verizon online for my corporate account on the day they became available. 3 for my employees worked fine, but mine would not go into 4G. Verizon sent a replacement to my hotel (was on business travel by then) and it worked fine until last night - screen went away as I was looking at it. Power, Power+ down volume, Power + up and down volume, nothing gets this thing to power up. Even tried charging and the above steps, but it is still dead. Going to Verizon store to swap out today.

Trying really hard to lie this phone!

SunsNut

Reaction score
I'm coming from a LG Ally which I liked at first but turned into a major POS. The speed differences between the two phones is like coming from riding a bike to driving a sports car. Can't believe how much faster it is and I don't even have 4G in my area. Pressing the screen is SO much easier than my Ally which took almost brute force to get the back key to work. The keyboard is the bomb!! Love it! Downloaded all the apps I had on the Ally, got them all set back up and then proceeded to assign all the special ringtones I had for my contacts. That info didn't transfer over. I am absolutely loving this phone. I paid a bit more than a lot of you because I wasn't due for an upgrade yet but I was tired of people telling me my voice was garbled or voice kept going in and out. Trying to carry on a conversation on the Ally was getting close to impossible. I don't regret paying a little extra but getting an awesome phone. The only reason I didn't get it right at release was still on the fence about the non-removable battery. That still bothers me a little but keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be an issue.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this phone!! Vickie:icon_ banana:

techdean

Reaction score
4th day on the D4.

Had the OG droid, then the R2D2 droid 2... gave the r2d2 to my wife cause her palm pre was falling apart (hardware and software) Thought I would try something different and got the ReZound.

2 days later took the ReZound back, cut my loss on the restock fee and got the D4... After looking at the rezounds screen for 2 days and snapping photos with it, I must say I'm a little disappointed with the D4 in this area. The screen makes me dizzy sometimes when scrolling through webpages, settings, music, etc...
everything gets all choppy looking. Those are my main gripes with it so far... and the "1080 video recording" ugh...

The Droid 4 has just enough WOW to keep me interested but I'm not overly impressed. I'm not trying to take anything away from the droid 4 but I do wish it had more added to it. Bloatware excluded of course, there's enough of that to choke a horse...

That being said, the keyboard is AWESOME and is probably THE number 1 reason I got it. After having previous physical keyboarded droids, I found I could not live without it and this one is amazing. Also, Motorola seems to have some of the best call clarity and signal reception on a cell (per my exp.) The ReZound didn't quite stack up in this dept. and that is one of the main things a mobile phone should do IMO.

So far, battery life is pretty decent after some tweeks, low brightness settings, task killer and other options. I attribute this to the screen quality being rather mediocre compared to other phones with super LCD, AMOLED, etc... The rather low MaH of the battery doesn't have to work so hard to give you its Qhd goodness.

The earpiece speaker is loud and clear and the external speaker does equally well.

Has anyone noticed the charging LED light is missing on this one? Just something I got used to and now I miss it...

Moto went cheap in other areas too...(everyone has to make cuts in an economy such as this) Single LED for camera flash (perhaps 2 would have drained the small non-removable battery?) , Camera lens and software.... Probably just a verizon thing but NO pre-installed SD card(however, there is sufficient space on the phone itself for the casual user)

That's the other thing... non-removable battery. Things are becoming more disposable everyday I guess.

I've noticed some lag when exiting an app and going to home screen, app icons take 2 to 3 seconds to load sometimes but that's trivial as it's really fast in other areas...

So far I have gotten excellent signal almost everywhere I go. Even places where my Droid 2 and ReZound would struggle for signal, no problem on the D4...

Swype function is excellent, even better than on the R2D2 which was good...

Overall, I would give the D4 a big D4 out of 5... It has a nice, fit in my hand feel to it. Solid. Excellent keyboard. Good sound quality, Good reception, Mostly snappy(probably bloat choking it at some point) Lower quality screen has it's advantages with battery life. "Blur" isn't all that bad, just install a custom free launcher if you don't like it.

This is already exceedingly long and just the opinion of one. Take from it what you will, I'm keeping the droid 4 until my other line is eligible in 10 months. I think there should be something more suitable by then even if it costs a little more, I want the total package without having to settle for less over this option or that....

kijutsu

Reaction score
Just picked up mine on 2-21-2012. Verizon called me and offered me the phone for $130 off cause I was like.. 8 months overdue for an upgrade. I had a D2G and the poor thing was just dying. Keyboard was randomly smashing keys and whatnot.

Thus far I'm pleased with the phone. If Moto/VZW didn't put so much bloatware and useless crap on this phone it'd be badass. But as it is, there's only about 90 meg of ram free upon initial bootup (out of 1 gig, thats a bunch of horses@!# in my opinon). I broke out root and Titanium Backup -- and now there's 500+ meg free on initial startup and DAMN is it snappy fast when it doesn't have all that crap installed.

I can confirm the wierd ghosting issue that others have reported -- but it goes away after about a day. It's just the screen breaking in. It still seems to have this weird red tint to it, I'll have to see about tweaking that at some point.

4G reception is good, but then this is the first 4g device I've had. Consistant 15 down/12 up.

One big complaint -- There's no freaking SDCard included. Talk about cheaping out in my opinion.

mackt

Reaction score
I got a Droid Razr Saturday and took it back Monday and got a Droid 4. I love the 4 so far. Im coming from Droid 1 and 2. Its excellent. I really like the weight, it feels solid and durable. Keyboard is a big improvement. Battery life seems exceptional. I like this phone a lot

Last edited: