The official "I got it" thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by pc747, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mfendley

mfendley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered 4 through Verizon online for my corporate account on the day they became available. 3 for my employees worked fine, but mine would not go into 4G. Verizon sent a replacement to my hotel (was on business travel by then) and it worked fine until last night - screen went away as I was looking at it. Power, Power+ down volume, Power + up and down volume, nothing gets this thing to power up. Even tried charging and the above steps, but it is still dead. Going to Verizon store to swap out today.

Trying really hard to lie this phone!

2. SunsNut

SunsNut New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm coming from a LG Ally which I liked at first but turned into a major POS. The speed differences between the two phones is like coming from riding a bike to driving a sports car. Can't believe how much faster it is and I don't even have 4G in my area. Pressing the screen is SO much easier than my Ally which took almost brute force to get the back key to work. The keyboard is the bomb!! Love it! Downloaded all the apps I had on the Ally, got them all set back up and then proceeded to assign all the special ringtones I had for my contacts. That info didn't transfer over. I am absolutely loving this phone. I paid a bit more than a lot of you because I wasn't due for an upgrade yet but I was tired of people telling me my voice was garbled or voice kept going in and out. Trying to carry on a conversation on the Ally was getting close to impossible. I don't regret paying a little extra but getting an awesome phone. The only reason I didn't get it right at release was still on the fence about the non-removable battery. That still bothers me a little but keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be an issue.
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this phone!! Vickie:icon_ banana:

3. techdean

techdean New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    4th day on the D4.

Had the OG droid, then the R2D2 droid 2... gave the r2d2 to my wife cause her palm pre was falling apart (hardware and software) Thought I would try something different and got the ReZound.

2 days later took the ReZound back, cut my loss on the restock fee and got the D4... After looking at the rezounds screen for 2 days and snapping photos with it, I must say I'm a little disappointed with the D4 in this area. The screen makes me dizzy sometimes when scrolling through webpages, settings, music, etc...
    everything gets all choppy looking. Those are my main gripes with it so far... and the "1080 video recording" ugh...

The Droid 4 has just enough WOW to keep me interested but I'm not overly impressed. I'm not trying to take anything away from the droid 4 but I do wish it had more added to it. Bloatware excluded of course, there's enough of that to choke a horse...

That being said, the keyboard is AWESOME and is probably THE number 1 reason I got it. After having previous physical keyboarded droids, I found I could not live without it and this one is amazing. Also, Motorola seems to have some of the best call clarity and signal reception on a cell (per my exp.) The ReZound didn't quite stack up in this dept. and that is one of the main things a mobile phone should do IMO.

So far, battery life is pretty decent after some tweeks, low brightness settings, task killer and other options. I attribute this to the screen quality being rather mediocre compared to other phones with super LCD, AMOLED, etc... The rather low MaH of the battery doesn't have to work so hard to give you its Qhd goodness.

The earpiece speaker is loud and clear and the external speaker does equally well.

Has anyone noticed the charging LED light is missing on this one? Just something I got used to and now I miss it...

Moto went cheap in other areas too...(everyone has to make cuts in an economy such as this) Single LED for camera flash (perhaps 2 would have drained the small non-removable battery?) , Camera lens and software.... Probably just a verizon thing but NO pre-installed SD card(however, there is sufficient space on the phone itself for the casual user)

That's the other thing... non-removable battery. Things are becoming more disposable everyday I guess.

I've noticed some lag when exiting an app and going to home screen, app icons take 2 to 3 seconds to load sometimes but that's trivial as it's really fast in other areas...

So far I have gotten excellent signal almost everywhere I go. Even places where my Droid 2 and ReZound would struggle for signal, no problem on the D4...

Swype function is excellent, even better than on the R2D2 which was good...

Overall, I would give the D4 a big D4 out of 5... It has a nice, fit in my hand feel to it. Solid. Excellent keyboard. Good sound quality, Good reception, Mostly snappy(probably bloat choking it at some point) Lower quality screen has it's advantages with battery life. "Blur" isn't all that bad, just install a custom free launcher if you don't like it.

This is already exceedingly long and just the opinion of one. Take from it what you will, I'm keeping the droid 4 until my other line is eligible in 10 months. I think there should be something more suitable by then even if it costs a little more, I want the total package without having to settle for less over this option or that....

4. kijutsu

kijutsu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up mine on 2-21-2012. Verizon called me and offered me the phone for $130 off cause I was like.. 8 months overdue for an upgrade. I had a D2G and the poor thing was just dying. Keyboard was randomly smashing keys and whatnot.

Thus far I'm pleased with the phone. If Moto/VZW didn't put so much bloatware and useless crap on this phone it'd be badass. But as it is, there's only about 90 meg of ram free upon initial bootup (out of 1 gig, thats a bunch of horses@!# in my opinon). I broke out root and Titanium Backup -- and now there's 500+ meg free on initial startup and DAMN is it snappy fast when it doesn't have all that crap installed.

I can confirm the wierd ghosting issue that others have reported -- but it goes away after about a day. It's just the screen breaking in. It still seems to have this weird red tint to it, I'll have to see about tweaking that at some point.

4G reception is good, but then this is the first 4g device I've had. Consistant 15 down/12 up.

One big complaint -- There's no freaking SDCard included. Talk about cheaping out in my opinion.

5. dsw1519

dsw1519 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. mackt

mackt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Droid Razr Saturday and took it back Monday and got a Droid 4. I love the 4 so far. Im coming from Droid 1 and 2. Its excellent. I really like the weight, it feels solid and durable. Keyboard is a big improvement. Battery life seems exceptional. I like this phone a lot

#90 mackt, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. Forcedbyhatred

Ratings:
    +0
    i got mine last night. so far very happy. just bestbuy is hella slow and someone cut me off in line and got helped about 20 mins before i got to be helped and i still got out of there before him and his precious iphone 4s. but i like the phnoe so far. the status bar and fonts are a bit small but that is it

8. sargentmajord

sargentmajord Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    i just got mine yesterday verizon replaced my bionic that i bought back on September 22 with the droid 4 an i am loving it

9. norskejan

norskejan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I received my D4 a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with my choice. I had the original Droid (until it went for a swim in the ocean), then the DX for about a year and a half, and now the D4. The camera shutter is stuck closed on my DX, hence I upgraded, otherwise it still works fine. That said, the D4 is noticeably faster than my DX, as it should be, even in our 3G area. When I travel to 4G I notice the faster speed loading pages, and look forward to using it in 4G areas. I do like the slide out keyboard very much, and the backlit feature is very cool. I hesitated about this added bulk, but it is worth it. The keyboard feels good and solid under the fingers. The phone is a tad hefty, but again, I got the features I wanted and don't mind this. I like having this power-packed device for personal and business use. I purchased the car dock and enjoy this feature also, although it limits function automatically. I like the added security features and have enabled encryption. Not sure exactly how this will affect video, since decreased funtion is mentioned during activation, and would like to read more detail on the encryption features, but have not found this information anywhere, not on motorola website or other. Battery life is fine, honestly, if you do a lot on any phone you are going to eat up battery. On a couple of days of particularly heavy use, my battery went low and I had to charge before the day was up. I keep a charger in my car and a spare at the office, if I need it. The camera and video are great, I use the HDMI cable and it's awesome to view my videos and pictures and use mirror mode on our flatscreen HD TV. On the phone, the display is crisp and colorful. I am very happy with my purchase!

10. BlockMaker

BlockMaker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine a little over a week ago and I'm glad I upgraded. I will say that any phone I get from now on will have to have a physical keyboard it's way easier to use than the virtual one. I'm coming from a Droid Eris and while I don't have 4G in my area, 3G with the dual core 1.2 Ghz is blazing speed compared to what I was getting on my Eris. My phone is more for productivity so I may watch an occasional YouTube video but I won't be using it for watching movies. One feature I like is the Smart Actions app but dislike the fact you have to turn on wifi to use the location settings. We don't use wifi where I work and the surrounding area is sketchy at best. My battery life so far is great. Since I don't stream music and video, but I do use Dropbox and Evernote, my battery will last all day without a problem although I did buy a portable charger just in case. The phone is definately bigger than my Eris but I've gotten used to that and I'm very happy with it.

11. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Are you referring to the Car Home app that pops up? Because you can exit that if you press the Menu button, or you can freeze it with Titanium Backup if you are rooted so it won't pop up at all.

12. Rubenk

Rubenk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine last weekend. Walked in the verizon store, asked where it was, handled it for a second then went to the counter to do the deal. Ended up paying 65 bucks for my upgrade!! 50$ off for loyalty, then 100$ for 4g upgrade!! Stoked!!

So far it has been a great phone, battery life kind sucks if I use 4g constantly, but it is screaming fast. Upgraded from a rooted/rommed droid 1 and couldnt be happier! :icon_ banana:

Search tags for this page
android keyboard asterisk
certificates that disable screen lock options droid razr

firm up the slide action droid3

get it now media center
what is zumo service on android
where is asterisk on android keyboard

where is the asterisk on android keyboard

where is the asterisk on galaxy s3 keyboard
where is the asterisk on my droid razor keyboard
where is the asterisk on the android keyboard#gsc.tab