Official "Which Device are You Coming From?" Thread

Edna566

Reaction score
D3 is still a great device... but I think I'm going to have to get the D4.
8.jpg

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
D3 is still a great device... but I think I'm going to have to get the D4.
8.jpg
Don't wait --- do it now! Did I not here somewhere that the D4 was going out of production?

Mike253

Reaction score
...that's bull. Oh well. People won't get to know the awesomeness of this device.

Pepperoni

Reaction score
Just bought a used Droid 4 off-contract in an attempt to keep my unlimited data plan as long as possible. Have not activated it yet. It will be replacing my 3+ year old BlackBerry Bold.

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
..... It will be replacing my 3+ year old BlackBerry Bold.
I came from a Blackberry Storm (and a Blackberry Curve prior to that -- my first smart phone). It is a big jump. This forum will be a lot of help to you. Don't be afraid to ask.

RVdroid

Reaction score
I just switched over to the Droid 4 because my Droid 2 Global just semi failed. I'd had the global since it was first released so I guess just about 4 years? Whatever, both me and my girl bought the global at the same time. About 3-4 months ago her screen started to fail. The lefthand side 1/4 no longer accepted any touch commands. I tried soft and hard reboots and of course cleaning the screen, nothing worked. I just kind of figured, "well you didn't really take good care of it."
But No. A few months later my global's screen failed. The Exact Same Thing. That's not coincidence, that is planned obsolescence and honestly kind of criminal IMHO. I really loved the global but I got the 4 for free so I guess that's cool. Hopefully motorola hasn't planted a time delay crap bomb in this version as well.
I'm fairly happy with it so far but there are a few simple things that are a bit different so please bear with me if I ask some simple stupid questions for awhile. That's the story!

MrCatPC

Reaction score
screens fail as all electronics do eventually

I just switched over to the Droid 4 because my Droid 2 Global just semi failed... (truncated) That's not coincidence, that is planned obsolescence and honestly kind of criminal IMHO...

Freaky timing with the double device screen failure, agreed, but not necessarily a timebomb conspiracy. I heavily used my Droid 2 R2-D2 (Star Wars Edition Moto A957) and allowed the kids (boys aged 6 & 7 at the time) to play occasional games, whom I then blamed for wearing out the touchscreen digitizer. I undertook the screen/digitizer transplant myself, having overconfidence from a career in PC repair, and I can definitely say that small Droid 2 digitizer cable & layers of plastic & miniature screws were NO FUN reassembling. Flash forward to autumn 2013 & my "free" R2-D2 upgrade (coming from prior Samsung "Robin" SCH-i760 WinMo phone at the time), acted like it was ready for screen replacement #2.

Did I say used heavily? I run my tech support biz on this device & netbook when I'm mobile (75% of my workday is out & about), and the slider keyboard is practically a must-have for using LogMeIn to view a remote computer without eclipsing the emulated PC's screen with an on-screen virtual keyboard ... imagine a 1600x900 remote client's PC screen scaled to Droid 2 resolution with then a chunk of screen dedicated to the alphabet "keys" & you may see where non-slider phone would be so much less convenient! And to the point, I've replaced the keyboard overlay (the buttons/skin) twice with plenty of typing between email/txt/LMI use. R2-D2 saw a lot of (ab)use... poor astromech.

Instead of replacing 2nd screen since D2 ownership, timed out perfectly to upgrade to Droid 4 at low price of free plus $30 fee, and I moved from unlimited data to 1GB share plan since I'm the family data hog & have WiFi nearly anywhere I need to really get work done. Spent what I would have budgeted for off-contract Droid 4 in accessories instead, which make this a "really useful engine."

...and I picked up 2 more Droid 4 busted units on eBay to experiment with repair for down the road when I'm sure to need to know how to DIY the real deal. Loving the D4 slider/keys & wishing new Droid Maxx would've had a slider built-in because I sure would benefit from the monster battery ... maybe a slider/battery keyboard case attachment would do it. Now that would be a heavy brick! :)K

Coincidentally: Looks like the poll shows overwhelming majority of D4 adopters have migrated up from the original Droid through D3 models. Too bad Motorola(/Google) doesn't seem interested in providing a solution for our demographic, "neanderthol physical caveboarders[SUP]TM[/SUP]," anymore (may I unofficially trademark that phrase?). "Fabled Droid 5" doesn't look like it will ever become reality. We are the minority.

*** gimme buttons & knobs over a touchscreen anyday! woot***

ROOTED & imported R2-D2 bootanimation.zip so the spiffy Star Wars ESB startup screen pops up instead of red eyeball "DRRRRROOOOIIIID!!" ...MINUS the R2-D2 squeee boop beep noise, of course. I know, right? "What a geek!"

kwyrt

Reaction score
Freaky timing with the double device screen failure, agreed, but not necessarily a timebomb conspiracy. I heavily used my Droid 2 R2-D2 (Star Wars Edition Moto A957) and allowed the kids (boys aged 6 & 7 at the time) to play occasional games, whom I then blamed for wearing out the touchscreen digitizer. I undertook the screen/digitizer transplant myself, having overconfidence from a career in PC repair, and I can definitely say that small Droid 2 digitizer cable & layers of plastic & miniature screws were NO FUN reassembling. Flash forward to autumn 2013 & my "free" R2-D2 upgrade (coming from prior Samsung "Robin" SCH-i760 WinMo phone at the time), acted like it was ready for screen replacement #2. Did I say used heavily? I run my tech support biz on this device & netbook when I'm mobile (75% of my workday is out & about), and the slider keyboard is practically a must-have for using LogMeIn to view a remote computer without eclipsing the emulated PC's screen with an on-screen virtual keyboard ... imagine a 1600x900 remote client's PC screen scaled to Droid 2 resolution with then a chunk of screen dedicated to the alphabet "keys" & you may see where non-slider phone would be so much less convenient! And to the point, I've replaced the keyboard overlay (the buttons/skin) twice with plenty of typing between email/txt/LMI use. R2-D2 saw a lot of (ab)use... poor astromech. Instead of replacing 2nd screen since D2 ownership, timed out perfectly to upgrade to Droid 4 at low price of free plus $30 fee, and I moved from unlimited data to 1GB share plan since I'm the family data hog & have WiFi nearly anywhere I need to really get work done. Spent what I would have budgeted for off-contract Droid 4 in accessories instead, which make this a "really useful engine." ...and I picked up 2 more Droid 4 busted units on eBay to experiment with repair for down the road when I'm sure to need to know how to DIY the real deal. Loving the D4 slider/keys & wishing new Droid Maxx would've had a slider built-in because I sure would benefit from the monster battery ... maybe a slider/battery keyboard case attachment would do it. Now that would be a heavy brick! :)K Coincidentally: Looks like the poll shows overwhelming majority of D4 adopters have migrated up from the original Droid through D3 models. Too bad Motorola(/Google) doesn't seem interested in providing a solution for our demographic, "neanderthol physical caveboarders[SUP]TM[/SUP]," anymore (may I unofficially trademark that phrase?). "Fabled Droid 5" doesn't look like it will ever become reality. We are the minority. *** gimme buttons & knobs over a touchscreen anyday! woot*** ROOTED & imported R2-D2 bootanimation.zip so the spiffy Star Wars ESB startup screen pops up instead of red eyeball "DRRRRROOOOIIIID!!" ...MINUS the R2-D2 squeee boop beep noise, of course. I know, right? "What a geek!"
With your talk wanting a Maxx with a keyboard you may be interested in this: Amazon.com: Mugen Power Extended Life Battery for Motorola Droid 4 XT894 Verizon 3800mah: Cell Phones & Accessories

MrCatPC

Reaction score
interesting!

Thanks, kwyrt ... I hadn't hunted for an extended battery since original purchase so that's a new option for me! It may negate all my dock & case accessories, though, so will have to consider this vs my current mode of always bringing a charger throughout the workday.

Sometime between breakfast & lunch today my D4 ate half his OEM battery charge. That's the 1735 mAh original where this Mugen item says 3800 mAh capacity. "Weighing the pros & cons now."