Official "Unimpressed/Skeptical " Thread

greenmile

Reaction score
Nice. So is this $149.99 with tax? I guess that even with tax this deal beats Amazon and Wirefly best price for existing customers upgrade. Might have to go down to my local Best Buy today for that deal. Thanks for the info.

Yes, with tax. It was a no brainer at 150 without the gift card because going with Verizon directly even with the $30 new-every-two deal it was going to be 169.99.

I thought about going with Amazon to save the $5 in tax but I couldn't wait a few days to get it. But, then getting the 50 promo gift card on top is a steal.

For people getting a brand new contract, that may get the price down to 50 bucks total ($99 price match from amazon + 50 giftcard).

Note: The best buy reps might argue that they can't match amazon's price AND give you the gift card deal. But I got lucky and the rep I was working with had no problem with it. However, the system didn't recognize the promo by default and he had to call "The Bridge" (Best buy's internal support desk) to get the gift card emailed to me

r314bd

Reaction score
Just went to play with it at the Verizon store. The keyboard is amazing but the screen is a huge disappointment. Way worse than the screen on the D1.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
Just went to play with it at the Verizon store. The keyboard is amazing but the screen is a huge disappointment. Way worse than the screen on the D1.
+1. What a huge disappointment the screen is. I was hoping for something like the Razr with a keyboard. What a letdown.

r314bd

Reaction score
Just for the record, Best Buy matched Amazon's price of 149.99 for me PLUS I got the 50 giftcard promo. $100 bucks for this phone is pretty epic.
Well I'm a little embarrassed about this since I've been complaining about this phone so much, but after I saw your post I called around to my local Best Buy stores and found one who was willing to do this for me as well...so I just gave in and bought it.

I wouldn't have bought it for $230, but I think $115 is a reasonable price for an upgrade to 4G, a better camera, faster processor, and better keyboard. I suppose I can learn to live with the lousier screen.

My receipt if anyone else wants to do this before the $50 promo expires tomorrow and needs proof: http://i.imgur.com/Gr48V.jpg

Oh and as great as the price is, I really wish I could've done this online. They take forever at the store, hassle you to buy protection plans and accessories, have to activate it in-store (which means they have to take the phone out of the box and handle it, which I know seems silly to be bothered by, but it is an annoyance)

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score

The D4 is an otherwise beautiful device. Where does MOTO get off putting a screen like that on a 2012 4G device? I was fed up with them before, and now this.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

RoninX

Reaction score
True. Coming from the D3 or even the D2 you wont be impressed. But those coming from the D1 (like me) are. Greatly impressed. I'm glad i didn't wait any longer.

Even coming from the D2, I'm very impressed. The keyboard is much better, the CPU is much faster, and 4G LTE is lightning fast. If you like physical keyboards and live in an area with good LTE coverage, it's definitely worth the upgrade -- assuming you don't absolutely hate pentile screens.

MistaMean

Reaction score
Well I'm a little embarrassed about this since I've been complaining about this phone so much, but after I saw your post I called around to my local Best Buy stores and found one who was willing to do this for me as well...so I just gave in and bought it.

I wouldn't have bought it for $230, but I think $115 is a reasonable price for an upgrade to 4G, a better camera, faster processor, and better keyboard. I suppose I can learn to live with the lousier screen.

My receipt if anyone else wants to do this before the $50 promo expires tomorrow and needs proof: http://i.imgur.com/Gr48V.jpg

Oh and as great as the price is, I really wish I could've done this online. They take forever at the store, hassle you to buy protection plans and accessories, have to activate it in-store (which means they have to take the phone out of the box and handle it, which I know seems silly to be bothered by, but it is an annoyance)

Your lucky man, I tried the same thing today and got denied after waiting in line and briefly having the phone in my hands to set it up. Manager said no "double dipping". Now I spent $149.99 online at Wirefly and it won't be at my house until mid week. So now I'm really angry with my BB, cost me $35.76 extra that I could have used toward a D4 accessory. Wish I had a copy of the receipt you posted to show them. Oh well, I just need to calm down and take a chill pill. For that low of a price I was willing to settle also, now after all my troubles I don't care about the screen quality or if it doesn't have ICS, I just need a new phone because my D1 is on life support. Congrats.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Since October, following this phone I've learned that the D4 is a pretty good phone overall. I could live with one very happily for a couple of years or more --

IF ... it had the GNex ICS & bootloader, the same D4 keyboard but laid out just like the D3, the same 4.3" display as this DX, and any regular old 2amp removable metal case lithium battery -- oh, and it would be nice if the GSM radio it already has could be turned on.

That would be enough to satisfy me for a good little while -- and all of it, including the D4 itself, is existing, off-the-shelf stuff now. No R&D required.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
The D4 is an otherwise beautiful device. Where does MOTO get off putting a screen like that on a 2012 4G device? I was fed up with them before, and now this.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

They shot their was on the expensive new polymer hybrid battery tech, had to cut back somewhere.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Im a sad panda. I got this phone for the wife and I love every aspect of this phone exept the screen. It does ghost noticably and its faily pixelated. It kinda stinks. So far this is the phone for me come October when Im due. I love every else though. The keyboard is orgrasmic. Its also snappy as hell. It makes my D2 look like a turd performance wise.

podspi

Reaction score
Im a sad panda. I got this phone for the wife and I love every aspect of this phone exept the screen. It does ghost noticably and its faily pixelated. It kinda stinks. So far this is the phone for me come October when Im due. I love every else though. The keyboard is orgrasmic. Its also snappy as hell. It makes my D2 look like a turd performance wise.

Everyone complains about the screen on this thing, but it looks awesome in the sun, and is more energy efficient. IMHO, well worth the hit in image quality (that I usually can't notice anyway).

TeeKay1

Reaction score
Voice quality when making calls is pretty bad because it always sounds like the person you're talking to is on speaker phone. It was a major downgrade when I went from Droid 1 to Droid 4. It's kinda disheartening. Everything else about the D4 makes me happy.

ikari

Reaction score
The screen is both crappy and ghosty, as you pointed out, and yesterday I learned that it's easily scratchable too... don't know how to fix is now.
And yes, I love everything else.
Except lack of GSM.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I've been considering the D4 ever since VZW sent me that flyer with $100 off the 2yr contract price of an LTE phone even though I got a D3 back in September. The two things that have me hesitating are the battery life and the keyboard layout.

I've got the D3 with the extended battery. Right now, battery life on the D3 is what I'm looking for and I know I can't do what I do now with the D4 and sometimes charging in the middle of the day just isn't an option. I do need to charge my D3 once a day to give you an idea how much I use my phone. I just think it's absurd they put such a small battery in a phone that can eat through it pretty quickly. If they put the battery from the MAXX in there, this wouldn't be a concern for me. I enjoy not having to struggle with battery savings.

I use ConnectBot to SSH into servers quite a bit and the easy access to the `~<>[]{}|\ characters has been great. I appreciate that they're trying to make the D4 keyboard closer to a standard QWERTY keyboard, but they just missed the mark. Double hitting the shift key was sufficient in lieu of a dedicated CapsLock key and really I don't type in BILLY MAYS that often. Why they put the key for the apostrophe and quote on the left side is beyond me.

I'm still considering it since I'd like to stay grandfathered on my unlimited data. If they'd be willing to let me pay full price for a LTE phone and let me keep the unlimited data, I may just want to wait. I may consider the new data plans if it would cost me the same or less for my projected data usage, but I doubt that would be the case and probably a nice cash grab for their CFO.