Official "Unimpressed/Skeptical " Thread

TC_Mits

Reaction score
If the droid 4 is indeed delayed, I still need to get a new phone next week. Any suggestions on that? ... I know I may sound picky but any help would be welcome... Thanks! :D

My guess is: delayed. So, this thread's going cold, for now.

If you need 4G & a KB on vzw a "crappy Stratosphere" is about it. I refuse to do that, if only 'cuz then it wins, so...

To twiddle my thumbs in comfort, I'm looking for a cheap used Tbolt - for me 4G trumps KB.
If a KB is your #1 then the D3 is a no-brainer.

Btw, what to do about being stood up again by the lady in red is not at all off-topic here to me.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

HavoC

Reaction score
My guess is: delayed. So, this thread's going cold, for now.

If you need 4G & a KB on vzw a "crappy Stratosphere" is about it. I refuse to do that, if only 'cuz then it wins, so...

I'm looking 4a cheap used Tbolt ...

( By DX w/DF app. )

cowboom.com has a lot of good phones for decent prices (recently), specifically I think the Thunderbolt was on there for $150 (refurbished). I also saw refurbished Droid Bionics for $300 or so. If the Droid 4 is indeed delayed, I'll probably grab something off there and continue waiting.

I'm currently on a Droid 2 with a partially busted screen, but I've had my upgrade waiting for a while now since the last phone I bought on contract was the Droid 1. The Droid 4 is exactly what all the people hanging onto the OG all this time have been saving their upgrades for (at least in my mind). Its finally got everything, dual core processor, 4G, HDMI out, oh and a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD lol.

Sorry for the caps, but I really want this phone to come out in the next week or so. I also totally agree with what you said about the Stratosphere. I understand that its cheaper than the better 4G phones, but still, I just dont see the point in releasing any more single core phones at this point, we have enough of those slightly lacking models to choose from.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
cowboom.com has a lot of good phones for decent prices (recently), specifically I think the Thunderbolt was on there for $150 ...

Thanks! Will check it out.

( By DX w/DF app. )

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Twenty days later...

I see the CES official announcement didn't hype the new and innovative D4 lithium polymer hybrid battery. And no big spec upgrades either... quarter old tech for CES.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Reaction score
OK. I think I'm starting to be able to piece together this battery puzzle. True polymer batteries are super, except they have to stay really hot to work well. The RAZR & D4 will use a foil pouch Lithium-hybrid polymer design. As such it has no significant performance advantage over regular Lithium ion batteries. What makes it useful in a handheld device is that it can be made really skinny. Since the hybrid battery is soft, you can break it. That's one reason to lock it away. Another reason is that polymer hybrid Li-ion batteries are more prone to gassing, so Motorola may have felt that double covers would better resist its ballooning tendencies. However, nobody wants a battery you can't replace yourself, especially since Lithium batteries are known to start to degrade after a year or so, even if not in use. So we get a key and instructions on how to - carefully! - install a new battery when the original gets too weak. That new battery may be expensive since it's a new technology in low production.
Essentially, this is all being done just to make the phone a tad (0.2mm or 1.55% v. D3) skinnier. There is no other performance benefit to the user. And you lose the ability to "just pull the battery" to reset the phone when it freezes,up, gets loopy aftet a minor spill, or if you're stuck trying to root it.

This is mostly supposition but it is consistent with what we know.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
My opinion is that theyre doing this to increase their profit margin. Period. Its really simple. Release device, knowing that some of your customers want an extended battery. But instead of giving them the option of simply purchasing an extended battery and door, you wait a month and release the same phone with the extended battery. You know, after your customers cant return the device anymore. So now they;ll have to buy a whole new phone. At full retail price of course, since most of these people probably used their upgrade to get the original device. It disgusts me if this is the case. I really hope i'm wrong, but i doubt it. But then again, i'm highly cynical hahaha

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread. i just bought a D4, and I gotta say: I'm officially unimpressed by the screen. i was nervous that i would be, but didn't know what everyone was talking about (pentile), so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, and figured maybe i wouldn't notice it. But I do notice it. a lot. i'm not sure if i can stare at this screen for the next two years.
I'll have to weight my love for keyboards against the annoyance of the screen, to see whether i'll return it or not...

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread. i just bought a D4, and I gotta say: I'm officially unimpressed by the screen. i was nervous that i would be, but didn't know what everyone was talking about (pentile), so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, and figured maybe i wouldn't notice it. But I do notice it. a lot. i'm not sure if i can stare at this screen for the next two years.
I'll have to weight my love for keyboards against the annoyance of the screen, to see whether i'll return it or not...
The screen is not the same technology as what is available with the Razr. LCD on the D4 vs. Super AMOLED on the Razr. Looks like Moto decided to cheap out on the specs of the D4. May have to wait for the D5 to get the better specs. Kinda sucks.

greenmile

Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and wait another year for a phantom D5 which may never be released while the rest of us enjoy this tremendously upgraded hardware in comparison to the D1.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and wait another year for a phantom D5 which may never be released while the rest of us enjoy this tremendously upgraded hardware in comparison to the D1.
If you are upgrading from a D1, then, yes it is a tremendous upgrade. There will be other products that will ship in the next 10 months that will likely make the D4 dated before even one year has passed. Moto might even be supplying one of them. How much time passed between when the D3 shipped and today?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
True. Coming from the D3 or even the D2 you wont be impressed. But those coming from the D1 (like me) are. Greatly impressed. I'm glad i didn't wait any longer.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
But those coming from the D1 (like me) are. Greatly impressed. I'm glad i didn't wait any longer.
I'm still on my D1. I've heard terrible things about pentile screens. Is the screen better than the D1 screen?

r314bd

Reaction score
The screen is not the same technology as what is available with the Razr. LCD on the D4 vs. Super AMOLED on the Razr. Looks like Moto decided to cheap out on the specs of the D4. May have to wait for the D5 to get the better specs. Kinda sucks.
This. I may end up springing for the D4 later but only after it gets ICS and once the price drops. Not worth $200 IMHO.

MistaMean

Reaction score
This. I may end up springing for the D4 later but only after it gets ICS and once the price drops. Not worth $200 IMHO.

I don't know how soon the D4 will see ICS through an OTA update or even with a custom ROM but Amazon is selling the D4 for 149.99 :D.

greenmile

Reaction score

Just for the record, Best Buy matched Amazon's price of 149.99 for me PLUS I got the 50 giftcard promo. $100 bucks for this phone is pretty epic.

MistaMean

Reaction score
Just for the record, Best Buy matched Amazon's price of 149.99 for me PLUS I got the 50 giftcard promo. $100 bucks for this phone is pretty epic.

Nice. So is this $149.99 with tax? I guess that even with tax this deal beats Amazon and Wirefly best price for existing customers upgrade. Might have to go down to my local Best Buy today for that deal. Thanks for the info.