The Official: I am having reception issues thread

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by pc747, Dec 23, 2011.

1. catfisher

catfisher New Member

So are you still reading 4g signal when you have it turned off? Because I don't use 4g and I am getting less then stellar signal readings...-93 or worse is the norm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  2. Liderc

Liderc New Member

No I get a normal 3G signal when forced to 3G:

View attachment 45135

OG sitting beside it is at -79 on 3G.
  3. catfisher

catfisher New Member

I guess I can't complain too much overall. Even though it is always two bars...at least it is always two bars. Not great signal but signal nonetheless. Trying to be positive...

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Well, I'm sorry pilotcharles, but IMHO for the purposes of this thread, your video has less than any relevance since it is obvious that you have rooted and modified your phone (shown by the fact that there is a dedicated search soft button in your video) and therefore there could be possibly way too many things you might have also done to your phone to give an un-biased review.

I say this because this thread should be relevant to those who have NOT modified their phone at all.

I'm just saying . . . . .
  5. steveky

steveky Member

ooohhh...

6. Olderslower

Olderslower New Member

I called Verizon regarding the poor signal strength and dropped calls and got kicked up to second tier tech support. As others have noted, the tech denied that this is a common problem and in fact said that my call was the first he had heard of. He was quite polite and seemed genuiniely interested in addressing the issue. He asked me to send him notification of all dropped calls so that he can see if there are any trends and also be able to track the location of calls. It may be corporate doublespeak, but lets hope not... Is it reasonable to believe that this is a software issue that can be fixed or is it more likely a hardware problem that isn't likely to go away?
  7. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

thats what I want to know before I buy it... im not getting stellar 3g with my d1 at home (-76) but I would want that same quality out of the nexus, or is that asking too much? also, what are peoples up/down speeds? are you getting 20's or teens?
  8. Liderc

Liderc New Member

Speeds depend greatly on location. I only get 10-12 at my house, but in town I get 30+.

My 3G dBm on my OG is within +/-5dBm on my Nexus.

The 4g is usually 10-15dBm higher than 3G. I don't have another 4G device to directly compare the two.
  9. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

Thanks, most people only post when something goes wrong, so its nice to see those with working devices commenting, otherwise id never get this thing. But some phones do seem to have an issue switching connectivity right?
  10. Liderc

Liderc New Member

Some people definitely have issues with switching from 3G to 4G or 4G to 3G, I luckily haven't had this issue.

This has happened with all 4G phones on Verizon's network, so we're assuming it's just a problem with their network dealing with 3g-4g switches.

My guess is this is only happening in certain cell locations since some of us don't have the issue.

I've been trying to get a list of people having the issue to post their locations but it's difficult as many people usually post once or don't respond, but I think it would be very beneficial for us to see if we could pin point certain states or even certain cities that the issue seems to plague the most. We could end up helping Verizon actually correct this issue if we pooled enough data.

Despite our community being small, we're actually a good sample size because we're spread out all over the US and we're aware enough of the situation to make use of the complaints. We also aren't going to tell people to do a battery pull and expect it to fix a network issue like a low level Verizon technician would.

With the recent 4G outages, I believe Verizon will start to do their own research luckily because enough people are going to complain or bring 4G phones back and it will start costing them money. Once they start losing money, they're bound to get to work and fix the 4G issues.
  11. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

Ill take the plunge. i dont know if anyone is open today, but tomorrow is an option too. Know of any deals/packages with the phone? Ive seen people in the dallas texas area post good things about service and being the 5th largest metroplex in the country I would assume good coverage... Ive certainly got a lot of catching up to do...Good thing im off until thursday...
  12. baldybill

baldybill Member

Looking to replace my OG Droid. I'm still torn between the Razr and the Galaxy Nexus.

My OG has barely decent reception where I live. It's generally in the -88 to -98 range.

I compared my droid in a store with these two phones. Mind you the store had a repeater, so even my DROID got decent reception tHere. But the razr was actually about 5 or 10 better than mine aNd the gnex was about 5 or so worse.

So here is what I am looking at possibly
    OG Droid -88 to -98
    Razr -78 (at best) to -93
    Gnex -93 to -105 (at worst?)

I love the fact that the Gnex is stock ICS, will be updated quicker, is easier to root/customize, seems to be supported by the droid community better.

But what are your thoughts on the reception?
    Are these numbers decent enough to get the gnex? Or go safer with the razr?
    Will these numbers improve with updates or anything?

Sent from my OG Droid
  13. CdzNutz

CdzNutz New Member

14. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

i just unrooted and locked the bootloader. im going to the verizon store tomorrow to attempt (and succeed) at exchanging devices. This is because i was in the same place (very very 4g strong area) as my friend, who also has the gnexus on the same 4g network (different roms though but shouldnt make much of a difference) with the same leaked new radios and we both did a speed test. he got 26000kbps while i got around 17000 kbps. i also lose 4g every once in a while and get thrown to 3g or no data. If they say that they will fix it in the next update, i will say this story and say it has faulty hardware.

we did many speed tests, both on 4g and 3g, and his beat me everrryyy time.
  15. Liderc

Liderc New Member

Did you make sure you were set to the same server as him each time?
  16. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Let us know how that works out for you. It's the network.
  17. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

yea.
  18. TeeX

TeeX New Member

I've also heard that maybe exchanging the SIM card will help the phone. Not sure about this though. Anyone care to chime in with an opinion or anecdotal experience?
  19. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

well im going in today. im hoping to get a replacement phone, rather then a new sim card. i doubt a sim card will change anything. isnt a sim card just what allows the 4g?
  20. Liderc

Liderc New Member

The sim does interact with the 4G cells, so it would be smart to at least try a different one, even if they give you a new device I'd tell them to try a new sim just to rule it out.
Search tags for this page
-95dbm 2asu signal
are they going to fix verizon reception problems
fixing reception issues on page plus
galaxy nexus issues fixed

galaxy nexus reception fix

galaxy s3 antenna fix
galaxy s3 reception issues
internet paraphernalia for droids

samsung galaxy s3 reception fix

verizon signal strength 2asu
what does this mean -106 dbm 34 asu