OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
-75 better than -100.

lacamastraveler

Reaction score
I just got my Nexus and last night noticed weaker reception than what I had on my Droid Incredible. After seeing this thread I put my wife's Incredible next to my Nexus to monitor the signal strength. The Nexus is about -10 to -20 dBm less than the Incredible in my short test. In this location the Incredible has never dropped below -100 while the Nexus has dropped to -120. I will be monitoring over time and contacting Verizon as appropriate. By the way, the Nexus signal strength is followed by "2 asu". What does that mean?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got my Nexus and last night noticed weaker reception than what I had on my Droid Incredible. After seeing this thread I put my wife's Incredible next to my Nexus to monitor the signal strength. The Nexus is about -10 to -20 dBm less than the Incredible in my short test. In this location the Incredible has never dropped below -100 while the Nexus has dropped to -120. I will be monitoring over time and contacting Verizon as appropriate. By the way, the Nexus signal strength is followed by "2 asu". What does that mean?

Are you testing the Nexus with 3G or 4G? If it's 4G then the comparison between the Nexus dBm and the Incredible isn't valid since 3G has much better coverage(and less bugs honestly) than their 4G network currently.

Just as a reference, on 3G my Nexus gets -75, with 4G it gets -83 through -94.

480Ruger

Reaction score
Big Red replaced my GNex today. Old phone was -101 dBm, replacement was -79 in the store. Bionic still beats it by -10 to -20 at the house.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had the best signal I've seen today on my Nexus with 4G:

View attachment 45045

Maybe the networks going down has Verizon on the move for improvements.

HTC1

Reaction score
I usually get -60 - -70

Sent from my HTC Rezound (galaxy nexus killer)

jerroedr

Reaction score
Ok, im real close to getting a phone, as my d1 is slowly crapping out on me. The only real thing holding me back is the radio issue. I dont use speakerphone or play music plus there are apps for the volume bug. The camera is going to be better than the d1, I can tell from the pics thread. But the radio thing is a killer. With the nexus it seems that 15-18 up/down on 4g is the max but on other phones they are getting 24-26. And the issue of the signal strength... they are -30dbm off their goal and what appears to be much worse strength than the other phones of this generation. I feel that If I am paying for 4g, I should be able to get every last little bit of speed that it can handle, and not be limited by a top of the line flagship signature device... What are people experiencing?

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I switched out my D1 for Nexus last night. Not bad so far, ICS takes a little getting used to. My biggest concern is the radio as well. I haven't really tested voice yet. stats-wise, I get -75dbm at home with the nexus, while my D1 got -59. I plan on trying it out in my elevator and my lab. I have 2 weeks to switch out to RAZR, and VZW can't charge a re-stocking fee in Honolulu.

jerroedr

Reaction score
ok, let me ask you this steveky, where do I look for the dbm reading?

jerroedr

Reaction score
on the couch at home im in the high 70's up to 90

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I switched out my D1 for Nexus last night. Not bad so far, ICS takes a little getting used to. My biggest concern is the radio as well. I haven't really tested voice yet. stats-wise, I get -75dbm at home with the nexus, while my D1 got -59. I plan on trying it out in my elevator and my lab. I have 2 weeks to switch out to RAZR, and VZW can't charge a re-stocking fee in Honolulu.

Your D1 is reading 3G dBm, your Nexus is reading 4G dBm, the 3G network has been around forever, 4G not so much.