If you are having weak signal issues...

grizcoach

Reaction score
Didn't Apple have the same problem with G3 when it came out. The signal strength was showing low so they recalibrated how # bars was calculated to show more bars.

pequannock

Reaction score
I have also been experiencing dropped calls on my GNex. Lost connection 4 or 5 times yesterday, in areas where in 2 years my Droid 1 NEVER dropped a call. I have not yet contacted VZW, but this is certainly disappointing performance. Otherwise, I love my new phone. Hoping there is some resolution to this problem, because I don't want to trade it in for something else.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
whose going first

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

These came out last night. I flashed them almost right away. They don't seem yo have fixed anything, but its kinda hard to tell with all the problems the network has been having since last night.

Nick D

Reaction score
These came out last night. I flashed them almost right away. They don't seem yo have fixed anything, but its kinda hard to tell with all the problems the network has been having since last night.

What problems were the networks having last night?

I had no service this morning for about an hour, I couldn't even make a phone call. Needless to say, I wasn't happy at all as this was during my commute to work. Fortunately the service came back &was fine the rest of the day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
There was a 5 hour outage of 3G and 4G networks on Verizon's Network this morning(Eastern).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this moment I am showing a -120 dBm

I am having the same issue. On my tbolt in the same location I am getting -80 where my gnexus is getting -108. And applying the radio fix did not help at all for me.

DroidOCD

Reaction score
My gnex cuts off my microphone during conversions..only happens in wraker signal areas...love the phone...wish it worked better inbregards to signal!

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I used to have a RAZR and then got the Nexus. In the town where I live, the RAZR got around 18mbps down and 10mbps up. My Nexus was getting around 6mbps down and 5mbps up.

I'm visiting family and just went into the VZW store to check out the phones they had there. Tested out the Rezound, Nexus, and RAZR. The Nexus was the fastest with less than 10mbps down, but my Nexus was slower, still getting around 6 down and 5 up.

Called tech support. They told me to just remove the SIM card and pop it back in. Same phone and coverage area, looks like this now:

View attachment 44517

I'm excited to see what happens when I get back home with the faster 4G.

Cliff Notes: If you're having slow 4G, try removing your SIM card and putting it back in.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Ok for the 1000000000 time let me post some facts about the Nexus vs other 4g devices...

ICS reports the DBM accurately for 4g service, Other phones such as the Razr, Bionic, Etc, do NOT display the 4g signal in DBM, what you are looking at is your 3g service. If anything, the signal of this device is a true representation of your network quality, I remember numerous times trying to make a call on my Droid X when it had 1-2 bars and I got nothing... Its a numerical algorithm that makes a text image display, don't put so much faith in it. If you cannot get 3g/4g and the network is online, your phone has an issue, if your TB or Razr or D3 or w/e get better signal side by side, all that means is you need to check your DBM and run a speed test. If it works fine, your phone is fine. You guys need to stop blowing things out of proportion, you are scaring the masses.

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Was that in response to me? I thought I was posting something constructive/positive :blink:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Was that in response to me? I thought I was posting something constructive/positive :blink:

Not at all, It was meant for the hype mongers who are throwing out information without knowing what theyre talking about. Your post was actually very informative and I just tried it. 10mb down before, 14mb down after. Same signal strength and location (sitting at my desk). Thanks for the tip ;)

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
I used to have a RAZR and then got the Nexus. In the town where I live, the RAZR got around 18mbps down and 10mbps up. My Nexus was getting around 6mbps down and 5mbps up.

I'm visiting family and just went into the VZW store to check out the phones they had there. Tested out the Rezound, Nexus, and RAZR. The Nexus was the fastest with less than 10mbps down, but my Nexus was slower, still getting around 6 down and 5 up.

Called tech support. They told me to just remove the SIM card and pop it back in. Same phone and coverage area, looks like this now:

View attachment 44517

I'm excited to see what happens when I get back home with the faster 4G.

Cliff Notes: If you're having slow 4G, try removing your SIM card and putting it back in.

That is download is okay considering your round trip time to that server is 174ms.. you ever trying playing a online multiple player game on your pc? i dont join a game unless its under 100ms.. 174 ms is equivalent to pinging from a pc in LA to NYC, even worse.. LA TO NY on most networks is 100ms..

Downloads rely on the Round trip time to the server your downloading from.. basically your running a download test to a server in Europe imo.

See if you can run a traceroute from your phone to the speed test server

Shaneathan

Reaction score
How do you do that? I mean, either way I saw improvement, but always willing to try to make it better.