The Official: I am having reception issues thread

loki993

Reaction score
Isnt the only thing the update is doing is adjusting the way the signal bar displays? Not actually fixing whatever signal issue the phones having?

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I bought my Nexus the day it was realesed, and haven't had a problem until last weekend. I lost all 3G signal, and wasn't able to get it back for almost 24 hours. Other Verizon phones had signal, so I know it wasn't the network. I rebooted several times, but never could get it back. I was still able to make calls, but couldn't get anything else. After it came back, it's been horrible. It's in and out every other time I turn my phone on. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I can't get anything. When it is on now, I have a real week signal. Can't get any more than 1 bar on 3G, where I used to get 3 bars. Hope they get this problem figured out.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I'll give it 7 days and if the problem persists I will give them an earful. This is a big concern I hope Samsung or VZW fixes immediately.

The amount of time you give it will likely not fix any issues. If you dropped ANY and ALL signal, as in your signal indicator was an empty gray with no bars or 3g/4g randomly for up to a minute, it is more than likely a hardware issue. I am almost positive that some of the Nexus's are wonky, and have faulty radios. I would just take it back and save yourself some time, just in case you pick up another defective one, as it seems to be quite a common issue. As people have stated though, the phone is amazing IF you manage to get a good one. Which should not be the circumstances, but unfortunately, that is how it is. :/

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I'm not positive, but ever sense mine's come back on Sunday night I've had 4G at home, and at my work where I didn't have it before. I'm wondering if they are turning on some of the 4G towers, and it's causing the signal to go out for a while. I had the problems for about a day and a half, but haven't had any issues sense. Yesterday, I lost it for about a minute, but it came right back on. So far today, I've had at least 3 bars on 4G, and haven't lost signal once. At least that I've seen.

tek112

Reaction score
I'm not positive, but ever sense mine's come back on Sunday night I've had 4G at home, and at my work where I didn't have it before. I'm wondering if they are turning on some of the 4G towers, and it's causing the signal to go out for a while. I had the problems for about a day and a half, but haven't had any issues sense. Yesterday, I lost it for about a minute, but it came right back on. So far today, I've had at least 3 bars on 4G, and haven't lost signal once. At least that I've seen.

Go into settings - battery and select cell standby. That will tell you how long you were without service. Sadly it won't tell you 3g vs 4g, but it should give you an idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Chubbydog

Reaction score
Go into settings - battery and select cell standby. That will tell you how long you were without service. Sadly it won't tell you 3g vs 4g, but it should give you an idea.

Thank you! Almost 14 hours, and 0% loss of signal. Seems to be working again. I hope it stays this way.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
A big red rep told me to report the drop calls/signals by pressing ###SEND immediately following a dropped call and that will mark for view later. I haven' tried the PRL update using *22899SEND. I hear this might help with getting stronger signals.

tek112

Reaction score
A big red rep told me to report the drop calls/signals by pressing ###SEND immediately following a dropped call and that will mark for view later. I haven' tried the PRL update using *22899SEND. I hear this might help with getting stronger signals.

This is bad and may damage the Sim card. *228 is provisioned for 3g only. Forcing this on a 4g phone may have bad side effects that only a new Sim will correct.

Fuchueson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 4
Twitter
mc_morris
You are unable to do a *228 on a 4g device. It automatically updates since we have SIM cards. When people at work ask me about how to reset their ATT towers it takes forever to explain that they can't.

Fuchueson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 4
Twitter
mc_morris
This is my story and I'm sticking to it. Have had gnexus for 45 days. Phone has been in heavy duty Defender case since purchase. Use phone primarily for internet and have been sorely disappointed by slooooow browsing and considered returning phone numerous times. Love phone, hate Long poor signal no better than 3g with prior Droid X (outstanding phone) Long story short, removed Defender case last night and suddenly have the phone I always wanted. Massive speed increase. Read all the forums and never saw discussion of provlems caused by case. Remarkable.

Is this legit about the case? I never noticed and difference when I went from a regular case to my defender?

catfisher

Reaction score
I cannot confirm this claim. Must be a localized issue as I have a Defender case and am typing this message right now without restraint from network issues caused from three pieces of plastic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Wadzii

Reaction score
I got my gnex on launch day at a verizon store. I never had any issues with that phone at all. Then I dropped it and smashed the screen. 6 phones later from asurion and I still dont have a phone that will maintain a 4g signal at all and it drops calls like crazy or does the whole thing where I can hear the other person but they cant hear me deal. I'll be on the phone w/asurion again tomorrow to get ANOTHER phone sent out.

Edit: thought i'd mention that all of the replacement phones have been brand new phones, not refurbs. I have had both korean and chinese phones, no difference.

Super Stu

Reaction score
My wife and I swapped our old Droids for GNs a week ago. For the last two nights, my wife's Nexus has experienced an odd bug whereby some time during the night (and it only happens at night), it suddenly has trouble picking up the cell signal (not 3/4G, she leaves it on wifi over night) and the battery gets absolutely caned as it presumably tries in vain to reestablish the signal.

Is this the reception issue? I don't believe she's had any trouble with wifi or calls dropping out.

meaker

Reaction score
I've had my phone since dec. and I have the drop data trouble and mic problem but I'm too lazy to switch when I hear must replacements still have those problems. So I going to asked if your phone had the same problems and you replaced it did that fix the problem??

MyDroid23

Reaction score
I've had my phone since dec. and I have the drop data trouble and mic problem but I'm too lazy to switch when I hear must replacements still have those problems. So I going to asked if your phone had the same problems and you replaced it did that fix the problem??

No, I'm on my 3rd device. First, file a complaint with the BBB. Second, call Verizon and ask them for a credit. Third, cross your fingers and hope for the ota this month like promised.
If the new radios that came with the leaked 4.0.4 fixes radio problems don't ya'll think we would've received it by now. :icon_evil: