When will the reception issue get better?

Reaction score
I just got my Galaxy Nexus today and I have 1 3G bar. I ran a speedtest and I only get .3Mbps down. I was aware that there was some 4G reception issues but where I live 4G is spotty so on my Droid RAZR sometimes I would have 2 4G bars and other time I would just have full bars on 3G (between 75-80dB). With my RAZR on 3G I would get between 1 and 1.5Mbps down on Speedtest. 4G speed tests ranged from 6Mbps to 10.

When I got my Galaxy Nexus today I noticed I only had 1 bar of 3G service. I thought maybe it's wrong, so I went into "Status" under "About Phone" and I had -100dB signal. I haven't even seen a 4G signal on my Galaxy Nexus yet, the difference between signal strength on RAZR vs. the Nexus is night and day. The Nexus is a much cooler phone though.

Would a baseband update fix this? If so, is there any ETA on it?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There is an OTA on the way. If you root you can grab the 4.0.3 update and install it. There are other threads about this:)

nbucko

Reaction score
A lot of people have said flashing a new rom with 4.0.3 has corrected their reception issues. I haven't yet so I have no way to tell. The 4G in my area is spotty because I'm on the edge of coverage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
skatingrocker17
Reaction score
There is an OTA on the way. If you root you can grab the 4.0.3 update and install it. There are other threads about this:)

I looked on the first page but didn't see one but I should probably dig a little deeper.

I'm running GummyNex .4.2 which is on 4.0.3 and I have been running this ROM since about an hour after I got the phone this morning.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I looked on the first page but didn't see one but I should probably dig a little deeper.

I'm running GummyNex .4.2 which is on 4.0.3 and I have been running this ROM since about an hour after I got the phone this morning.
Then the update won't have any affect as you're already running 4.0.3 unless there are a few differences.

OP
skatingrocker17
Reaction score
Wow... I really like this phone and everything but this is kind of ridiculous.

Isn't the baseband like the radio firmware? Couldn't they fix it with an update to the baseband?

ænyoc

Reaction score
Check your baseband version under settings -> about phone. The latest is I515.09 V.EK06 / I515.EK04

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I had the signal issues but it is fixed. I did install a 1.0.3 rom (Axiom) along with the new radio...

I don't know if the software or radio resolved my issues or if Verizon did something with their network, but all I can say is that my signal issues have been fixed.

Stick with the phone for a while and I think it will work out for you as it did for me.

hydro556

Reaction score
Check your baseband version under settings -> about phone. The latest is I515.09 V.EK06 / I515.EK04

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

Mine is not the most current then. I have EK05/....EK02

ETA- I like my GNex a lot, but I am contemplating returning it before the 15th if there is not something concrete from VZW/Google/Samsung about a fix for the signal strength at a minimum.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not running the latest then. I'll flash the newest baseband and yet you guys know. Thanks.
View attachment 45452

Yeah flash the new radios, but i haven't a stronger signal. Seems like the radios are locking on better, but the strength is still the same. I'm probably a bad subject though b/c I'm in like a dead zone and had trouble with my D1 getting service here.

When I visits family outside of Philly I get full 4g service and never have problems while there.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I am on stock with unlocked bootloader only and flashed the new radios in fastboot and haven't seen any difference in fact I did some 3G speedtests at home on the old radios and new radios and they were essentially the same readings..

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I am on stock with unlocked bootloader only and flashed the new radios in fastboot and haven't seen any difference in fact I did some 3G speedtests at home on the old radios and new radios and they were essentially the same readings..

Yes this is pretty much the consensus. No one has reported solid evidence saying they got faster and strong signals. Like I said before the radio update did seem to allow your radios to lock on better and stay locked on better.

Maybe Verizon and Google know these radios didn't do anything thus why they haven't released an update yet.