Galaxy Nexus' true reception

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have created a couple of threads with similar topics and I have done lots of comparing (and I have been comparing 3g to 3g so I can compare apples to apples)

I have to come to the conclusion that its not that the Nexus CAN'T get a good signal its just that it (mine) doesn't keep the signal as consistent as my other phones do.. it will fluctuate quite drastically in the same area while it is sitting still.. Mine will fluctuate as much as 10dBm either way where my other comparison phones really do a better job of maintaining that good signal..

Since the phone has the ability to get a good signal maybe software updates to the radio will allow it be more consistent..

Here is one of the problems that I see is that the signal bars reflect the 4g signal which isn't always the same as the 3g/voice signal strength so you could have bad 4g coverage but since voice calls don't utilize 4g you might think that you cant make calls which may or not be the case..

I downloaded an app called CDMA field test and since it doesn't support 4g you can open it and compare your 4g signal (in the about phone menu) and the 3g/voice signal. I had a couple of times that the 4g was in the -90s and the 3g was in the -70s, but the signal bars were low b/c they were reflecting the 4g data connection.

I think if vzw/samsung/Google change the signal bars it will be so they reflect the 3g voice signal instead of the 4g data connection since it makes sense to display the phones ability to make a call as much that is becoming a secondary feature with smartphones. :)

And I am not comparing signal bars

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

That's really what Verizon's statement was saying as well, they were just going to have Google change the dBm to show 3G as all the other phones do so people compare them accordingly.

I think that's a step backwards and that they should just put the 3G signal in phone info as well as 4G, the more info the better IMO.

I've tested my OG's signal a bit just to see if it fluctuates like the Nexus and it seems to go from -75 through -83 and stick around there, while like you said my Nexus can go from -72 to -97 in a matter of 30 seconds. If I set the Nexus to CDMA, it is much steadier at -73 through-85 so that's obviously a good sign. I think it's quite possible that you're right in saying since the Nexus can receive a good signal, it can probably be stabilized through software updates.

If I had the data issues that other people have, I would be a bit more worried, but since I don't, any improvement I see in signal stability is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
Are you using a PC/usb charger? Could explain the slow charging as it's been found that the Nexus takes around 23% longer to charge from 0 to 100% compared to using the wall charger.

Ye I opened a topic about it. I do charge it through the wall outlet. I expected it to take longer due to a larger battery but more than three hours is ridiculous.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ye I opened a topic about it. I do charge it through the wall outlet. I expected it to take longer due to a larger battery but more than three hours is ridiculous.

I charge mine over night and I'm never at 0% so sadly I don't have any data to go off of. I'm sure you've tried swapping cords/chargers.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My .0057 cents...

The lg revolution is the first phone to show the true signals. It shows both lte and phone reception in the settings.

The g nex shows the true lte signal. Other lte phones show the true phone signal.

After having it for 3 days... I think it doesn't do well for data reception in bad reception areas as some other lte phones.

This is me comparing it to my razr. Out side they both are about even. Neither can do over 10 mbps. In my apt.. I am able to get lte on my razr, which is a rarity. I have yet to see lte on my g nex in my apt. I normally see download speeds of 100-200 kbps...lol. When I say I live n work in a bad reception area.... Its a bad reception area. Wild part is phone reception is about even. Which is a plus for the g nex. A plus that has me seriously considering keeping it.

Verizon did do some upgrades to the network. I finally see over 20 Mbps on my razr in some areas I did tests. Never saw that before the outages.

I might have posted this in another thread, but the g nex in very bad reception areas I tested speeds in was picking servers in PA and MA. I live in the DC, md, va area. That never happened on my droid1, dx1, or razr. I don't really have data drop issues with either phone. Like just know, I left my apt, turned off wifi and the switch from wifi to 3g to 4g was fast. But inside my apt... The razr does better.

The phone reception on the g nex taught me we have to at least try these phones out... And not keep going by past experiences.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

x25064

Reaction score
The nexus issues are a mixed bag which is why we have "kool aid sippers" and "nexus *****ers".

-some phones work great stock out of the box
-some phones work great once running a rom (my category)
-some phones have terrible reception no matter what
-some phones READ poor reception yet function normally

Verizon would never admit to releasing a heavily delayed phone with literal hardware issues, so they went with he plausible excuse of the data display error which gives them just enough credibility to run with that problem alone. (Those of us owners know otherwise).

Personally I had horrid reception til I ran axiom with its new radios and 4.0.3 build. Runs like a boss now.

Don't expect to get 3 bars of 4g in a black hole though, it just won't happen.

samiusmc

Reaction score
It wasn't an issue with bars with me. My calls would go into voicemail in strong 4G areas and it would constantly drop 4G and switch to 3G, even in strong 4G areas. I went through two phones and both did this. I switched to the Rezound and I haven't had a single issue.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It wasn't an issue with bars with me. My calls would go into voicemail in strong 4G areas and it would constantly drop 4G and switch to 3G, even in strong 4G areas. I went through two phones and both did this. I switched to the Rezound and I haven't had a single issue.

We understand, your last 20 posts are the same thing, you took your Nexus back and now love the Rezound.

If everyone had the same problem it would be relevant and helpful to inform us of this.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

We understand, your last 20 posts are the same thing, you took your Nexus back and now love the Rezound.

If everyone had the same problem it would be relevant and helpful to inform us of this.

We aren't going to start this road again are we?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I do think it is safe to say the nexus doesn't pick up signal as well as Motorola phones as proved by many comparisons, but I think that is more of a Samsung thing than anything else.. for the most part my nexus is close to my og Droid as I type my nexus is at -93 and my og Droid is at -87 so it is worse but I am at a family gathering in a restaurant and my 4g and 3g signal on my nexus are identical at the moment... I have no other smartphones here to compare it too..as I am clearly the only "cool" person here lol..

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
for my case, a baseband update could help. The fact they see similar results outside and similar phone reception tells me my g nex isn't defective. I really don't think it is.

I use wifi in my apt anyway so for me it isn't too big an issue. For folks that travel, spend lots of time in bad reception areas or don't have wifi thats another story.

So to me its either a baseband update away from better reception, or it is what it is.

And no i'm not editing the forum app. lol. I'm switching phones. Charging the g nex up right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

lazarus2297

Reaction score
just for any of those that are interested there is an app in the market called Sensorly and it will give you both your 3G and 4G signals in -dBms like pictured below..
View attachment 45660

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
just for any of those that are interested there is an app in the market called Sensorly and it will give you both your 3G and 4G signals in -dBms like pictured below..
View attachment 45660
nice find, lazarus! I'm reporting -90dBm for 3G and unavailable for 4G here at my lab. thats pretty typical, reception is terrible out here. ill have to check it at home where i get decent reception, or on campus where reception is outstanding.

Htown315

Reaction score
This is kinda depressing...I did five speed tests against my D3(I was on 3g) and it beat my nexus every time :( ...BUT pages load faster on the nexus so idk lol. I did smoke a razr on 4g tho so its all good I guess :icon_ lala:

Nealius

Reaction score
Just d/l'd sensorly on my phone and my daughters razor.

I was happy with my -90 until I checked her phone -34

So how is my nexus only showing a low reading? I think its more than just an issue of showing lower bars.

ænyoc

Reaction score
Nexus is the first phone to show 4g reception. All other phones only show 3g. So you're comparing apples to oranges.