The Official: I am having reception issues thread

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this is an issue with ALL of the GNex phones and will be addressed. However it's only been out such a short time that who knows when it will be fixed.I

I get terrific phone reception and terrible internet and wi-fi.

bengalvfan

Reaction score
I am sitting here at my inlaws for Xmas in Lena, llinois (only 3g available) and I cannot even connect to 3g when my family have no problem at all connecting with an original Droid and a Droid pro.

If the problem was just how the bars/signal was displayed I should be able connect also.

mindmachine

Reaction score
VZ rep says, engineers deny any radio issues, says call samsung !

Hi guys,,

CALL SAMSUNG TECK! Verizon rep told me, i am on my second phone and still no better. I had OG Driod, Driod X, Thunderbolt, and no problems till the Nexus. So i am calling Samsung soon.

Would definitely not hurt to contact VZ teck too.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung tech....hmm I am curious about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

mindmachine

Reaction score
VZ rep says, engineers deny any radio issues, says call samsung !

Samsung tech....hmm I am curious about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Obvious, samsung is closer to google on this phone than they are with Old VZ i guess, you know riff over the wallet, and such. Who knows, but she said the samsung will probably be the first to know if they decide that they have an issue that needs fixed. Dont just be curios, call them if you have the issue on your phone.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My chat with Samsung tech support:

Sergio : Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: I have samsung galaxy nexus through verizon and I love this phone. My concern is the reception issue. I am averaging betwwn -110dBm to -130dBm which is pretty high considering other 4g phones in the same area averages -80 to -90. I love the product but I need it to be dependable so I ask that when you guys send a fix (well you and google) to verizon you send a real fix. Vxw put out a press release that all the update will do is add bars to ease those seeing 1 bar of service
Visitor: we need an update to actually fix the issue
Visitor: because if I can not make a call or stay on the web I will have to exchange it for a reliable device
Sergio : I understand that your facing the issue with the reception issue. Is that correct?
Visitor: I personally have been pushing for nexus for a year and I was happy when vzw released the nexus. This is one of the best phones I have ever used and I have used the iphone 3gs, droid, droid 2, droid x, samsung galxy s2 and hands down this is the best phone. But the reception issue is crippling this device and a real fix is needed to keep people from exchanging it for a htc rezound or motorola razr which currently is have much better signals

Visitor: vzw said they expect their devices to be in the -90s which both of those devices are where as the Nexus is no where near that

Sergio : Thank you for the information.

Sergio : May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .

Visitor: SCH-I515MSAVZW

Sergio : Thank you for the information.

Sergio : I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sergio : May I know from how long your facing this issue?

Visitor: Since day 1. I bought it on 12/15 then took it back. Bought it back when I was told by vzw tech it was a bad device

Sergio : I am sorry to hear that.

Visitor: It is a big issue because vzw is getting flooded with emails and calls about it

Visitor: and its all over the web

Sergio : I will forward your request to particular department.

Visitor: can that department email me with updates to when we will see a fix @ [email protected] I have 14 days with this device

Visitor: I dont want to be stuck and its a hardware flaw :(

Sergio : And please check back for the updates in the Samsung official website.

Sergio : I am sorry we don't have the access to send E-mail from our end.

Visitor: Check back.... I cant get any updates or information. I mean I am being told be vzw I can exchange it for a motorola or a htc product I am trying to stick it out with samsung.

Visitor: ok

Visitor: can you guys atleast put out a press release or something maybe to ease the minds of customers on the verge of taking their phones back

Visitor: This is a good phone but dropped calls and the ability to not hold a signal makes the thing useless and I paid full retail for my phone 799.99

Sergio : I can understand your concern.

Sergio : understand how frustrating this must be.

Visitor: can I put in a ticket then on this device

Sergio : Yes.

Visitor: will you be able to place a ticket or do i have to contact some one else

Sergio : To raise the Ticket you need contact our voice support team.

Visitor: ok number please

Sergio : I will provide you with the contact details for you.

Sergio : You can contact our dedicated Nexus S phones voice support team at +1 (888) 987-4357 .They are available 24/7.

Visitor: i have the galaxy nexus they are 2 different phones

Visitor: is that the same contact info

Sergio : Not a problem.

Sergio : You can reach with the number.

Visitor: ok thank you. calling now and have a good day

Sergio : Thank you.

Sergio : It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

rt_arrow.gif
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

currently calling ill post remarks.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My email to vzw

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is Shekena, and I will be happy to assist you with your feedback regarding the Nexus device. Mr. xxxx, I apologize if you are experiencing issues with the device. At this time, we have not received any reports that the Nexus is a bad product. However, Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to better meet the needs of our customers. Your comments have been forwarded for review and consideration. Your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future.
Additionally, Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs. I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless! Happy HolidaysSincerely, ShekenaVerizon WirelessCustomer Service

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Called samsung really there is no need to make a ticket unless you just want to voice your concerns. Yes I realize google makes the software and in reality they are the ones who sends it to the carriers who sends it to us. But I talked to an informed tech rep who said they have a ticket on this issue. They expect their devices to be in the =90s dBm so they realize there is a reception issue. He said that its on Samsung and google to correct it, which we all knew from the beginning. Want to voice to all involved to make sure the update they send us fix the problem and not just be a placebo. Vzw rep said they are expecting that 4.03 with the new radios will fix the problem. I made it known that I am using 4.03 and that the radios as of right now isnt fixing anything. So hopefully they are doing some more tweaking or they might as well scrap that and go back to the drawing board.

To the community:
Guys make sure you voice your issues to them and make they make notes about it. These notes are our friends. If after 14 days it turns out to still be an issue and they can not get it resolved vzw will have to allow you to exchange the device. Now the flip side is after 14 days you can not exchange if for a new device only a clnr. So before the 14 day period you can exchange for a new rezound or razr. After the 14 day you will have to exchange for a clnr rezound or razr. So keep this in mind if you going to wait it out. Do I think its fixable, yes. But I am going to make sure we have out bases covered just in case its turns into a "patch it the best you can and deny".

mindmachine

Reaction score
respone from VZ customer support

" I did get your message, but I unfortunately was not able to give you a call back last night. I did resubmit the trouble ticket and included that we swapped to another Nexus and emphasized the fact that the Thunderbolt never had issues. Unfortunately the network engineers are sticking to their resolution that the area is marginal coverage, despite the fact I did state it was happening everywhere. It may be possible that there are issues with the signal in that phone in general, which would explain why we have had two phones that have done the same thing.

In regards to your exchange period, you purchased the original phone on 12/15/11 and you typically have a 14-day period to return it. This is based on the purchase date of the first phone. However because you did buy the phone during the holiday season, you do have until 01/15/12 to return the phone. I know you really were looking forward to the Nexus, but if the phone’s radio is not working for us that may be the best solution.

Typically when there are issues like this with the phone it gets reported back to the manufacturer, so they may be in the process of coming up with software updates for the phone to correct the issues with it. As you stated, you have seen people posting online about the same thing. I would suggest calling Samsung (888-987-4357) and seeing if they may have a possible fix in place for the phone. That may help you in weighing your decision in keeping the phone or not.

If you have any more questions just let me know."

Looks like both sides are still in denial, if we hope to get a fix we need to turn op the volume with more reports on the issue so they can see it is a big problem. i think alot of us are also in denial getting used to a new phone that we waited so long for and there fore dont yet want to think about how bad this issue really is.

ffactoryxx

Reaction score
Does this 30 day policy apply to anyone who ordered at a 3rd party site such as lets talk? Also what is this $35 restocking fee? Does this apply to phones with problems.

" I did get your message, but I unfortunately was not able to give you a call back last night. I did resubmit the trouble ticket and included that we swapped to another Nexus and emphasized the fact that the Thunderbolt never had issues. Unfortunately the network engineers are sticking to their resolution that the area is marginal coverage, despite the fact I did state it was happening everywhere. It may be possible that there are issues with the signal in that phone in general, which would explain why we have had two phones that have done the same thing.

In regards to your exchange period, you purchased the original phone on 12/15/11 and you typically have a 14-day period to return it. This is based on the purchase date of the first phone. However because you did buy the phone during the holiday season, you do have until 01/15/12 to return the phone. I know you really were looking forward to the Nexus, but if the phone’s radio is not working for us that may be the best solution.

Typically when there are issues like this with the phone it gets reported back to the manufacturer, so they may be in the process of coming up with software updates for the phone to correct the issues with it. As you stated, you have seen people posting online about the same thing. I would suggest calling Samsung (888-987-4357) and seeing if they may have a possible fix in place for the phone. That may help you in weighing your decision in keeping the phone or not.

If you have any more questions just let me know."

Looks like both sides are still in denial, if we hope to get a fix we need to turn op the volume with more reports on the issue so they can see it is a big problem. i think alot of us are also in denial getting used to a new phone that we waited so long for and there fore dont yet want to think about how bad this issue really is.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does this 30 day policy apply to anyone who ordered at a 3rd party site such as lets talk? Also what is this $35 restocking fee? Does this apply to phones with problems.
You are going to have to talk to the 3rd party vendor.

catfisher

Reaction score
I sent an email to VZW about an hour ago. I am generally a -90 dBm or worse...While I have only officially dropped one call, I have had issues connecting to Tango for a video call on a number of occassions and pretty frequent losses of data. This is all on 3G mind you.

Hopefully if enough of us contact Big Red, we might actually see some assistance. I mentioned, in my message, that I am not interested in their "Band-Aid" fix for fixing just the bars...not the radio issue. Basically, I was just curious about the response I would get. I will update everyone when I (if I...) hear anything.

trebills

Reaction score
I sent an email to VZW about an hour ago. I am generally a -90 dBm or worse...While I have only officially dropped one call, I have had issues connecting to Tango for a video call on a number of occassions and pretty frequent losses of data. This is all on 3G mind you.

Hopefully if enough of us contact Big Red, we might actually see some assistance. I mentioned, in my message, that I am not interested in their "Band-Aid" fix for fixing just the bars...not the radio issue. Basically, I was just curious about the response I would get. I will update everyone when I (if I...) hear anything.

I doubt you will hear anything. I just got off the phone with Big Reds tech support in hopes of getting some answers. Got nothing, not even confirmation that this is a known issue and a real fix is in the works.. I hate to say it but if this doesn't get fixed I am going to have to take this device back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
. He said that its on Samsung and google to correct it, which we all knew from the beginning. Want to voice to all involved to make sure the update they send us fix the problem and not just be a placebo. Vzw rep said they are expecting that 4.03 with the new radios will fix the problem. I made it known that I am using 4.03 and that the radios as of right now isnt fixing anything. So hopefully they are doing some more tweaking or they might as well scrap that and go back to the drawing board.

Does that mean this issue will be resolved with a software update AND new radios, meaning newly manufactured phones? So should I hold out until my local store sells out of their first batch? I'm pretty close to retiring my OG for the Nexus. However, the signal/reception issues are a major concern.