The Official: I am having reception issues thread

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by pc747, Dec 23, 2011.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

My chat with Samsung tech support:

currently calling ill post remarks.
  2. pc747

My email to vzw

3. pc747

Called samsung really there is no need to make a ticket unless you just want to voice your concerns. Yes I realize google makes the software and in reality they are the ones who sends it to the carriers who sends it to us. But I talked to an informed tech rep who said they have a ticket on this issue. They expect their devices to be in the =90s dBm so they realize there is a reception issue. He said that its on Samsung and google to correct it, which we all knew from the beginning. Want to voice to all involved to make sure the update they send us fix the problem and not just be a placebo. Vzw rep said they are expecting that 4.03 with the new radios will fix the problem. I made it known that I am using 4.03 and that the radios as of right now isnt fixing anything. So hopefully they are doing some more tweaking or they might as well scrap that and go back to the drawing board.

To the community:
    Guys make sure you voice your issues to them and make they make notes about it. These notes are our friends. If after 14 days it turns out to still be an issue and they can not get it resolved vzw will have to allow you to exchange the device. Now the flip side is after 14 days you can not exchange if for a new device only a clnr. So before the 14 day period you can exchange for a new rezound or razr. After the 14 day you will have to exchange for a clnr rezound or razr. So keep this in mind if you going to wait it out. Do I think its fixable, yes. But I am going to make sure we have out bases covered just in case its turns into a "patch it the best you can and deny".
  4. mindmachine

mindmachine New Member

respone from VZ customer support

" I did get your message, but I unfortunately was not able to give you a call back last night. I did resubmit the trouble ticket and included that we swapped to another Nexus and emphasized the fact that the Thunderbolt never had issues. Unfortunately the network engineers are sticking to their resolution that the area is marginal coverage, despite the fact I did state it was happening everywhere. It may be possible that there are issues with the signal in that phone in general, which would explain why we have had two phones that have done the same thing.

In regards to your exchange period, you purchased the original phone on 12/15/11 and you typically have a 14-day period to return it. This is based on the purchase date of the first phone. However because you did buy the phone during the holiday season, you do have until 01/15/12 to return the phone. I know you really were looking forward to the Nexus, but if the phone’s radio is not working for us that may be the best solution.

Typically when there are issues like this with the phone it gets reported back to the manufacturer, so they may be in the process of coming up with software updates for the phone to correct the issues with it. As you stated, you have seen people posting online about the same thing. I would suggest calling Samsung (888-987-4357) and seeing if they may have a possible fix in place for the phone. That may help you in weighing your decision in keeping the phone or not.

If you have any more questions just let me know."

Looks like both sides are still in denial, if we hope to get a fix we need to turn op the volume with more reports on the issue so they can see it is a big problem. i think alot of us are also in denial getting used to a new phone that we waited so long for and there fore dont yet want to think about how bad this issue really is.
  5. ffactoryxx

ffactoryxx New Member

Does this 30 day policy apply to anyone who ordered at a 3rd party site such as lets talk? Also what is this $35 restocking fee? Does this apply to phones with problems.

6. pc747

You are going to have to talk to the 3rd party vendor.
  7. proangler

proangler New Member

I have less bars then my bolt ansnd charge. Alot of dropped call
  8. catfisher

catfisher New Member

I sent an email to VZW about an hour ago. I am generally a -90 dBm or worse...While I have only officially dropped one call, I have had issues connecting to Tango for a video call on a number of occassions and pretty frequent losses of data. This is all on 3G mind you.

Hopefully if enough of us contact Big Red, we might actually see some assistance. I mentioned, in my message, that I am not interested in their "Band-Aid" fix for fixing just the bars...not the radio issue. Basically, I was just curious about the response I would get. I will update everyone when I (if I...) hear anything.
  9. trebills

trebills New Member

I doubt you will hear anything. I just got off the phone with Big Reds tech support in hopes of getting some answers. Got nothing, not even confirmation that this is a known issue and a real fix is in the works.. I hate to say it but if this doesn't get fixed I am going to have to take this device back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  10. steveky

steveky Member

Does that mean this issue will be resolved with a software update AND new radios, meaning newly manufactured phones? So should I hold out until my local store sells out of their first batch? I'm pretty close to retiring my OG for the Nexus. However, the signal/reception issues are a major concern.
  11. catfisher

catfisher New Member

Oh believe me, I understand that I probably will get no assistance from Big Red. They already have my money, therefore, they no longer care. The only thing I really need them to do is extend the 14 day BS return policy, just in case.
  12. trebills

trebills New Member

It's my understanding that all phones purchased between thanksgiving and Christmas get the worry free guarantee til January 15th.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  13. Bucknell2013

Bucknell2013 New Member

I can confirm that this is indeed the case. When I was talking to the reps to get my GN, this was brought up at least three times.
  14. lfylove

lfylove New Member

I get good reception but sometimes on the top bar of 3g will show and I'll have no connection even though I'm in same spot

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  15. AspenSTi

AspenSTi New Member

Here's mine again, even with full 4g it was no where near my wife's DX which was at -66dbm. I have yet to drop any calls or not have signal whenever I needed it however.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  16. pc747

Yeah I would love to have those numbers. By the way vzw just want to get it in -90dBms so when they see that they gonna see that there is nothing wrong with your reception.
  17. MaCe

MaCe New Member

data issues

morning fellas ... just curious , my issue isnt as much of a recption issue as even tho it drops down to almost nothing I can still make calls my biggest problem is that my phone can never find a DATA connection ? should i assume this is the same problem ? or something completely different??
  18. michelle4439

michelle4439 New Member

I am having the exact same issues. My Galaxy would read -93 as its best but would average -100 and -120 most of the time. I love the phone but can't deal with that. I returned mine and I am waiting for my Razr to get here. My sister has the razr and it is much better. Also the number of times the data would drop is unacceptable. I am so disappointed. I am one of those people like most of you that waited and waited on the Galaxy.
  19. pc747

I say again make sure you email or call vzw and voice you anger and disappointment. Vzw do care about the customers. Yes they care about money but you cant make money with angry customers and they will do what needs to be done to keep you paying that monthly statement and to renew. Trust me if their email boxes and complaints are full from high end customers they are going to have to make sure it is right. Especially if every one who calls and emails let them know we saw the press release about them raising bars and not fixing the issue and we know what the dBm range should be.
  20. AspenSTi

AspenSTi New Member

I guess what i was trying to say, is that even though that was with the best reception i have ever seen on this phone, it still didnt compare to another phone with "correct" bars and better dbs.

On a side note, are the bars and dbs readings directly connected? I rarley see a difference between the two. Ex: with 1 bar at home i get -110dbs, and with no bars i get -120dbs, is it possible to have more bars and the same dbs readings? (aka the "verizon fix")
    -edit, never mind answered my own question, no they are not. You can have more bars and still a crappy dbs reading.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
Search tags for this page
-95dbm 2asu signal
are they going to fix verizon reception problems
fixing reception issues on page plus
galaxy nexus issues fixed

galaxy nexus reception fix

galaxy s3 antenna fix
galaxy s3 reception issues
internet paraphernalia for droids

samsung galaxy s3 reception fix

verizon signal strength 2asu