Smart Lock>Trusted Places Stopped Working At Home

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I haven't checked in a long time, but have you checked the Google product Forum / support site to see if others are having similar problems and any response from the Google team?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
too lazy to recheck all the postings and my mind is too old to remember so if it's already been mention, sorry.

you do have your location set for high accuracy?

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
too lazy to recheck all the postings and my mind is too old to remember so if it's already been mention, sorry.

you do have your location set for high accuracy?
Funny you ask.
Yes I do, and always have, but get this....I opened the Maps app (Google) a few minutes ago, and it asked me to turn location services on! (See pic below)

Edit:
Looked at my location history for today.
My timeline shows my morning trip, and returning home after that trip.
Then it shows me home for the remainder of the day, but I ran the identical route this afternoon, and it's not recorded.

There is something up with location services I guess......
95690cd1ac15a553ef1523f260874a98.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked in a long time, but have you checked the Google product Forum / support site to see if others are having similar problems and any response from the Google team?

No, I have not. Good idea!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Funny you ask.
Yes I do, and always have, but get this....I opened the Maps app (Google) a few minutes ago, and it asked me to turn location services on! (See pic below)

Edit:
Looked at my location history for today.
My timeline shows my morning trip, and returning home after that trip.
Then it shows me home for the remainder of the day, but I ran the identical route this afternoon, and it's not recorded.

There is something up with location services I guess......
95690cd1ac15a553ef1523f260874a98.jpg

Looks like you're in a bad service area..... Do you have any battery saving settings on or apps that are killing location services?

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're in a bad service area..... Do you have any battery saving settings on or apps that are killing location services?

Yes, I am in a very bad service area.
Before Vzw implemented WiFi calling, we could not use cell phones at home. Texting was terrible too before WiFi was added to their messages app.

However, that has not changed. Been here for 9+ yrs., and this Trusted Location has been working on this Note8 since I got it in Sept '17.
As far as apps being put to sleep, I looked through the list, and there are no "system" apps in there.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Yes, I am in a very bad service area.
Before Vzw implemented WiFi calling, we could not use cell phones at home. Texting was terrible too before WiFi was added to their messages app.

However, that has not changed. Been here for 9+ yrs., and this Trusted Location has been working on this Note8 since I got it in Sept '17.
As far as apps being put to sleep, I looked through the list, and there are no "system" apps in there.

Interesting...... I'll keep thinking

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
There was a problem with Android Trusted Location smart Lock a few years ago, where Maps started to "drift" your saves trusted location away from where it really is located. We had to go into Trusted Location Settings and re-establish the current trusted location by moving the "I'm here" pin to the current location, and then re-save. I wonder if something similar is happening?

This seems to fit the issue that I'm having.
When I looked at the saved Trusted Place, (when Smart Lock is NOT working), the phone's location has drifted outside the circle.
Once I adjust it, Smart Lock works again.
Even in Maps, my location is off more than usual.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This seems to fit the issue that I'm having.
When I looked at the saved Trusted Place, (when Smart Lock is NOT working), the phone's location has drifted outside the circle.
Once I adjust it, Smart Lock works again.
Even in Maps, my location is off more than usual.

That sounds oh so familiar.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well, today it was temperamental. It's working now, but all day it didn't work. Thought it might be that I was downstairs, but went outside and no luck there either.
It has worked since owning the phone, can't imagine why it's moody now.

EDIT 15 minutes after posting above that it was working at that time, now it is not working again.

I am having the same problem, Miklb. Stated a couple weeks ago. Cleared cache, worked for a bit then stopped. Updated location, worked for a day then stopped. Just reset location again. I'm wondering if it has to do problems with the gps, location accuracy and not the smart unlock feature. It seems it works until I leave home and when I come back, it stops but I'll have to pay more attention to see if that is truly the case. The smart unlock feature works for all other instances I have set up (car, watch) but not for home.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oops, posted this not realizing I hadn't read all the posts. Now that I have, I see we seem to know it is a problem wth location services.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, trying something different. Google maps high accuracy is not very accurate. Had me located at my neighbors. Doesn't seem to matter if I set wifi & Bluetooth accuracy on. I moved to different perimeters of my home (center, far north and far south) and placed all those locations as trusted locations. We'll see if that works any better.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, trying something different. Google maps high accuracy is not very accurate. Had me located at my neighbors. Doesn't seem to matter if I set wifi & Bluetooth accuracy on. I moved to different perimeters of my home (center, far north and far south) and placed all those locations as trusted locations. We'll see if that works any better.

Dang it. I hate it when someone else thinks of my idea before I do....
Great idea!
Mine has worked well all day today. Next time it's not, I may try that too.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

It's a shame we have to do things like this in this day & age, but I'll be interested to see how it works for you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk