Smart Lock>Trusted Places Stopped Working At Home

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the last 2 days, I have not been able to simply unlock my phone with the long press of the home button as usual.
If you are not familiar with this, it is a setting within Lock Screen and Security>Smart Lock>Trusted Places.
When set up, if you have a locked screen, when you are at a trusted place, you can unlock the phone with a long press of the home button without having to enter the unlock method that you have set up.

My home is set as a trusted place, and this feature has worked since I set it up in Sept. 17.
Now it doesn't.
I have tried rebooting, deleting and resetting the trusted place, but it's not working.

Anyone else use this feature, and has anyone who uses it had it stop working lately?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
might want to uninstall and reinstall the app. you may want to contact their tech support. it could be a common problem.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not an app though. It's a baked in feature of the Note8

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
sorry about that. don't know where my mind was. for whatever reason I was thinking about a smart door lock that unlocked via the phone...some days it don't pay to get out of bed.

try clearing the cache partition. it tends to fix a lot of problems and will not mess with your settings. see the following.

Wipe cache partition: Samsung Galaxy Note8

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
thinking about it, it could be faster to unlock your phone using your fingerpring. whenever I pick up my note 8, I just place the finger over the scanner. and by the time it is in position to use, it is unlocked. just something to consider :)

also, as far as your issue. if deleting cache does not help, might also want to check your location settings and make sure it had not changed for whatever reason.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.
Clearing the cache partition seems to have solved my issue!

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do use fingerprint unlock, who works perfect for when I pick up the phone, or take it out of my pocket. But a large portion of the day, my phone is laying face up on my desk, and it is much simpler during those times to long press the home button without picking the phone up.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's not an app though. It's a baked in feature of the Note8

Just FYI, that's a baked in feature of the Android OS, not just Samsung. I think most all modern Android phones have Smart Lock options.

Glad to hear a cache clear helped.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I do use fingerprint unlock, who works perfect for when I pick up the phone, or take it out of my pocket. But a large portion of the day, my phone is laying face up on my desk, and it is much simpler during those times to long press the home button without picking the phone up.

Very good point. glad deleting the cache helped and thanks for letting us know :)

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, today it was temperamental. It's working now, but all day it didn't work. Thought it might be that I was downstairs, but went outside and no luck there either.
It has worked since owning the phone, can't imagine why it's moody now.

EDIT 15 minutes after posting above that it was working at that time, now it is not working again.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There was a problem with Android Trusted Location smart Lock a few years ago, where Maps started to "drift" your saves trusted location away from where it really is located. We had to go into Trusted Location Settings and re-establish the current trusted location by moving the "I'm here" pin to the current location, and then re-save. I wonder if something similar is happening?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When it acts up, is it after you haven't rebooted the phone for a while? Seems like mine works better after a reboot.

Another thing that seems to affect mine is that I recently turned "on body detection" on. I feel like since I did that, sometimes when I set my phone down at home (trusted place) and then pick it back up, it wants my fingerprint or PIN.

With that said, I recently got an EcoBee smart thermostat. I put the app on my Pixel XL and the wife's S7 and we both had issues where our phones thought we had left the "geofence" I setup on them. (You leave the selected area, the thermostat automatically goes into Away mode, you enter the circle again, it goes to Home mode. Would be a nice feature if it worked properly right now. I've read the ITTT does a better job, but that's another discussion entirely). I guess I'm just wondering if there are some issues with location services or something on the server side? Stabbing in the dark here...

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hasn't worked right since right after I cleared cache and reboot, so I don't know if it was the cache clear, or the reboot.
I had checked the location numerous times, and it was always right on.
Today I've tried something different, I removed the Home location saved in Trusted Places, shut down cleared cache, restart, and set home again in Trusted Places.
Upon completion of that, it is working again.....but let's see if it lasts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hasn't worked right since right after I cleared cache and reboot, so I don't know if it was the cache clear, or the reboot.
I had checked the location numerous times, and it was always right on.
Today I've tried something different, I removed the Home location saved in Trusted Places, shut down cleared cache, restart, and set home again in Trusted Places.
Upon completion of that, it is working again.....but let's see if it lasts.

Mine's hit or miss today after joining this convo. Haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk