Trusted Devices on Lollipop

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
There was a lot of confusion about how to set this up on our phones.
Here's a post to try and head off a bunch of posts about it.
  • Make sure you already have a screen lock setup. You wouldn't believe how many people tried to set this up without that on first. You can't set up Trusted Devices if you have no screen lock.
  • Go to SETTINGS > SECURITY. Scroll way down under ADVANCED. Click TRUST AGENTS. Turn on SMART LOCK (GOOGLE)
  • Now the SMART LOCK setting will light up under that same SECURITY section. Go there to Configure Trusted Devices and/or Places.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good stuff Pere. If the Turbo version is like the Moto X 2014 (I upgraded the wife's phone to 5.1 last night) once that is enabled, as you add new Blue Tooth devices there will be a notification you can select to add it as a TD if you want to.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure about WiFi, will have to look into that, but I know it works pretty good by GPS. I have my wife's phone to stay unlocked when at our house. When she gets about 50 - 60 feet away from our house, the screen lock kicks in. She is happy with it!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
He was asking which it uses, Sajo, not can you use both?
It's GPS. There's no way to tell it to use WiFi instead.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
He was asking which it uses, Sajo, not can you use both?
It's GPS. There's no way to tell it to use WiFi instead.
My bad. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok. That's what I thought I remembered. I should really set this up again. Can't remember why I stopped using it, but I think it was a random day when I wasn't wearing my watch and was out and about. Small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Do you find that it works well when transitioning between places and devices? Ie, if I set it to trust my watch and my house, if I get home and it's been trusting the watch all day and then I decide to turn my watch off because I'm not going to wear it, will it require the PIN on the first unlock until it realizes I'm home, or is it seamless? Or do you know?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not really sure yet, but leaving the house / job seems to work real well as I noticed when my BT off yesterday and today. Not real sure though because I am usually near trusted devices. Watch, 2 cars....

TapaTurbo

Beer

Reaction score
Dangit, I've got some security certificates and other controls on my phone that won't allow me to take advantage of this.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm a late adopter of lollipop, but have a question regarding this topic. I started playing with with trusted devices, set up a pin screen lock, set up smart lock and set my home as a trusted place. All was good. I decided to go back and change the screen lock back to swipe to unlock, but can't. The option of 'none' and 'swipe' are no longer available (greyed out). Does anyone know how to allow swipe to unlock again?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm a late adopter of lollipop, but have a question regarding this topic. I started playing with with trusted devices, set up a pin screen lock, set up smart lock and set my home as a trusted place. All was good. I decided to go back and change the screen lock back to swipe to unlock, but can't. The option of 'none' and 'swipe' are no longer available (greyed out). Does anyone know how to allow swipe to unlock again?
Do you have a corporate email account on your phone, or any other app that requires a screen lock? I currently have a Pattern lock screen, with several trusted devices and have all of the options available: None, Patter, PIN, etc. Some apps and corporate email accounts require a lock screen at all times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
No corporate email. No other app required it previously. Only after I did the set up.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Swipe to Unlock is Greyed because you can't use it with Trusted Places.
It's not a secure method to lock a phone. You must use Password, PIN or Pattern with Google Smart Lock.

Tap'n Turbo

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Swipe to Unlock is Greyed because you can't use it with Trusted Places.
It's not a secure method to lock a phone. You must use Password, PIN or Pattern with Google Smart Lock.

Tap'n Turbo
Yes, I understand it's not secure. It's what I used before setting up this new feature. I'm wondering what I'd have to do or change to get back to swipe to unlock. Disabling smart lock did not work....