Is Smart Lock broken or is it just me?

SallyC

Reaction score
So I'm a little frustrated. I set up Android Pay which, as we all know, requires a lock screen. I set up Fingerprint and then, under Secure lock settings, Smart Lock, trusted devices and trusted places. But neither seem to work. No matter, where I am, or what devices I'm connected to (all trusted), the lock screen wants a fingerprint.

This is pretty annoying since who wants to mess with that at home or in your car? If I try and disable it at home, I get a message from Android Pay that it will remove my cards if I don't turn on my lock screen - seriously??? I've not tested it but I hope they don't mean I'd have to go through adding them all again (as I had to call my credit card issuer to get authorized) but just that they wouldn't be active until I turned on the lock screen.

Is anyone else having this?

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
I was going to use visa gift cards until I read that Android Pay won't work if it detects root access. I haven't tried it; and after reading the complaints on the google play store for Android Pay, not sure I want to either.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
To be fair, my problem isn't really with Android Pay. It's Smart Lock's trusted places. It doesn't work. I don't have any other lockscreen like Widget Locker active so it should work. Even if someone's not using Android Pay, I'm wondering if the trusted places part of Smart Lock is working for the lockscreen for anyone. Or if anyone has any ideas on why it's not working. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
Would trusted devices work better for you? You may end up feeling like the Borg but it works. Add Bluetooth in your car, home ie headset, smart watch (if applicable) Bluetooth speakers... seems silly but it does work. Not sure how well it works with Android Pay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I've done that too. Two trusted bt devices and smart lock ignores them both. It seems to just be broken for me.

I read somewhere that if, on your lock screen, the lock doesn't have a circle that pulses out from it, that your lock screen is being interfered with by another program. Mine does not do that but I have no idea what app would be interfering with my screen lock. I'm using stock screen lock and no other lock programs.

Maybe that's not even true. Other things I've read sound like play services has broken it, but that's for older versions. My play services version is 8.1.15 which is newer than the posts I've read. So I'm basically in the dark.

platypied50

Reaction score
Not working for me either, suddenly. I'm on a Droid Turbo. I wasn't using a lock of any sort until Android Pay mandated it when it installed yesterday. So I reluctantly enabled the PIN lock and found Smartlock so I wouldn't be bothered at home or in the car (BT in the car, location in the house). But it's a fail. I tried uninstalling updates in Google Play Services, restarting and updating it again, as was suggested in another forum. Then I reset Smartlock and restarted. No dice. I'm frustrated with it. I hope they address it, but my experience is they often let these problems fester for days, weeks or even eventually issue a statement that a problem is the intended result. I hope I'm wrong - it's super annoying to have to put a PIN in in my own home throughout the day. I work out of my home so I spend a ton of my time here. It should be safe to bypass a PIN while I'm here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm having similar issues for the same reason on my Note 4. Yesterday, my watch was connected & it gave me the prompt like I could unlock without fingerprint, but as soon as I did that, it wanted my fingerprint.

Today, my watch is off & I'm at home, which I have setup as a trusted place. I literally used my phone a couple minutes ago & just unlocked it now to check the forum & it wanted my fingerprint.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Well as sorry as I am that we're all having this problem, I'm happy that it's not just me. Hopefully it will get fixed. Thank you for your replies.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It was a new feature with Lollipop, so hopefully they'll continue to approve it.

It's twice as annoying when you think it's working, only to have to add a step & scan your fingerprint after already swiping to unlock.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I found out the solution!!! It's so unintuitive but apparently when you are in a trusted place, you want to swipe anywhere on the lock screen except the lock! By habit/training I swipe the lock and I guess that serves to lock it in a trusted place.That's why it asks for my fingerprint. If I swipe anywhere else on the screen, it opens! I found this on another forum, where it looks like others were having the same issue I was. Now it works fine! :D

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
It is weird! I have to train myself to avoid the lock. But the good news is, with security set to fingerprints, I guess I don't ever have to see the lock. If I'm in a place that is not a trusted place, it just shows me the prompt to use my fingerprint. So I need to be retrained, lol!