Smart Lock>Trusted Places Stopped Working At Home

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if something as simple as an update to Google Maps can have anything to do with it? Idk how much that effects your overall location info, but it's the only APP update I can think of that would make any sense outside of security patches or OS updates.
It seems to be the opposite. Read the small print below the map in my pic.
The screen shot is from where you set your home location in trusted places.

b7063be4bbb31459cf224418df65712b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't touch a thing today, and mid morning the phone started to unlock as it should for smart lock>trusted places.
It worked so well that it unlocked for me when I was miles away from home!
Then as soon as I got home, it won't unlock for me...sheesh.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Same here. Seems to be so random when it wants to work and when it doesn't. Definitely is related to the inaccuracy of Google maps. I checked it to see where it pinpointed me in relation to my selected trusted location. Google maps had me located at my neighbors.

aggreived

Reaction score
It's not clear at all to me that this is due to Google. It could be a complex issue with many causes, but I just made the mistake of buying a Samsung phone, and I've been having this issue. My location is always spot-on, every time I check. I also see, in other forums, plenty of other people complaining about the same issue, across many different kinds of Samsung devices.

Samsung has software that interacts closely with Android's native location and security features. It is completely feasible that their software is failing to work with the native Smart Lock functionality, and is the root of at least many of the issues we're all having with it. The bad news seems to be that this has been going on for a long time, so don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

But feel free to waste your time clearing cache partitions that have nothing to do with garbage code.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
It's not clear at all to me that this is due to Google. It could be a complex issue with many causes, but I just made the mistake of buying a Samsung phone, and I've been having this issue. My location is always spot-on, every time I check. I also see, in other forums, plenty of other people complaining about the same issue, across many different kinds of Samsung devices.

Samsung has software that interacts closely with Android's native location and security features. It is completely feasible that their software is failing to work with the native Smart Lock functionality, and is the root of at least many of the issues we're all having with it. The bad news seems to be that this has been going on for a long time, so don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

But feel free to waste your time clearing cache partitions that have nothing to do with garbage code.

It is never a waste of time clearing cache partitions. like anything else, it is a troubleshoot feature that gives a starting point for those of us who are actually trying to help. It is like calling your internet service provider, most of the time the first thing they tell you do is a power cycle. besides, sometimes it fixes the problem,

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Funny, my wife just told me the other night that her Smart Lock isn't working very well on her S7.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Funny, my wife just told me the other night that her Smart Lock isn't working very well on her S7.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

just about anything on my phone that requires location does not work or is too buggy to be consistent. drives me up the wall with the security cameras that uses location aware.

aggreived

Reaction score
me just sayin said:
It is never a waste of time clearing cache partitions. like anything else, it is a troubleshoot feature that gives a starting point for those of us who are actually trying to help. It is like calling your internet service provider, most of the time the first thing they tell you do is a power cycle. besides, sometimes it fixes the problem,
You defied your own statement by admitting it only sometimes helps. That means it's a waste of time all those other times someone spends time doing it and it doesn't help. The last time I went through the procedure, it was a hassle.

And I was also "actually trying to help" by adding a little clarity that Samsung is far from off the hook on this. There's just no way this is an Android bug. This is Samsung through-and-through.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
You defied your own statement by admitting it only sometimes helps. That means it's a waste of time all those other times someone spends time doing it and it doesn't help. The last time I went through the procedure, it was a hassle.

And I was also "actually trying to help" by adding a little clarity that Samsung is far from off the hook on this. There's just no way this is an Android bug. This is Samsung through-and-through.

just like reading your post in this thread, by your own definition, it is a waste of time if it does not help ;-P

the reality is, it is NEVER a waste of time since you don't know if it will work until you try it. Just like posting in a thread. If you don't post there is no way to know if your solution could help. Besides clearing the cache has other benefits.

aggreived

Reaction score
Oh no, a personal insult. What am I to do? :eek:

Keep copying/pasting advice from other forums, even if it helps no one. Don't change! ;)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Although clearing cache solves many problems and is my first, go-to solution because it is often a quick fix in many situations, we have established that in this instance that it does not help. Whether it's Samsung or it's Google is uncertain; quite possibly a combination of both. I'm guessing we may have to wait for some update to fix the problem.

In the meantime, we can continue to try to troubleshoot because someone might actually come up with a solution.... or we wait for a fix whichever comes first.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI...I have my new work phone (a Moto Droid Turbo 2) setup and running with Trusted Location set as my current work location. I will also set my home location tonight and see how it works. So far, I haven't noticed any issues with Trusted Location smart Lock this afternoon; but it hasn't been running long enough to really say anything for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
THIS IS YOUR (ONLY) FRIENDLY REMINDER TO KEEP THIS DISCUSSION CIVIL. (Caps/color used for attention, not because I feel anyone has crossed the line yet. We can agree to disagree, but please do so respectfully. Don't make things personal.)

While I've had enough Samsung phones over the years to understand where the comment comes from about their bad code, whether I've mentioned it in this thread or not, I have been having some issues with my Pixel XL and Smart Lock Trusted Locations as well. It's sporadic and maybe I should take on-body detection off for a while and see if that helps, but on-body has been handy while I'm working in the field and need to make a call or check something quickly with dirty, torn up hands that don't always pass the fingerprint test.

But, I'm pretty confident it's a Google issue. That's not to say that Samsung's code on top of Google's isn't making things worse, but while many of the posters in this thread are Samsung users, it's not limited to just them.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
something to consider, there are apps out there that could fix the gps location on your phone. might want to give one of them a try. there is one that seems to be popular - gps status and toolbox. I am not recommending it since I never used it but maybe it or a similar one could help.

also did you try to recalibrate the gps in google maps?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Side question...

Sorry if this has been addressed. I know the answer for myself is no. For those having "serious" issues with Smart Lock, have you opened maps immediately after your phone has asked for you to use your fingerprint/PIN/etc. to see if your location is good in there?