Sapphire 1.0 and FRG22

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It's an interesting take ... I was on FRG22, bu if the compiled sources wer only different in one file, I decided that I could jump on the possile advantages Sapphire may provide on the whole vs the stock FRG22 ...

If that isn't the case, then I can go back hehehe ...

Sapphire 1.0 is more "up to date" with respect to AOSP code than FRG22.

can you explain this please, maybe using a car analogy? :biggrin:

So, FRG22 is like a stock Mustang with a V6. Sapphire 1.0 is the same Mustang with a custom built V8. In the end, Sapphire still wins. :D

wingdo

Reaction score
It's an interesting take ... I was on FRG22, bu if the compiled sources wer only different in one file, I decided that I could jump on the possile advantages Sapphire may provide on the whole vs the stock FRG22 ...

If that isn't the case, then I can go back hehehe ...

OK, will try.

1) we get a large heavy car. Something like a '76 Lincoln.

2) we run down jntdroid with the car.

3) Profit

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

OK, will try.

3) Profit

I like my car analogy better. LOL!

Oh, FRG22 does have a custom steering wheel accessory that Sapphire 1.0 doesn't have (cough cough an updated keyboard file. WOO HOO). That's about it. :D

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

brochaos

Reaction score
whats different about the frg22 keyboard?:icon_eek:

OK, will try.

3) Profit

I like my car analogy better. LOL!

Oh, FRG22 does have a custom steering wheel accessory that Sapphire 1.0 doesn't have (cough cough an updated keyboard file. WOO HOO). That's about it. :D

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
whats different about the frg22 keyboard?:icon_eek:

I have no idea. According to CVPCS that's one of the differences between Sapphire 1.0 and FRG22. The FRG22 keyboard has been updated, I guess. He said earlier in this thread that it wasn't a significant enough change to worry about. My comment was...."People still use the stock keyboard??? Weird!" :D Also, people need to remember, Verizon started pushing out the "old" update again so they did not in fact go with FRG22 for OTA updates. Just something to consider. :)

brochaos

Reaction score
you know i just used the stock keyboard for the first time in a long time, and it was actually pretty nice. swiftkey was getting laggy. i typed super fast and sloppy and it still got 99% of the words right.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm using a hacked HTC IME keyboard. LOVE it.

jimholcomb

Reaction score
RE: the launchers, ADW (and apparently LP now as well) have backup/restore capabilities, so that when doing a clean install you can restore your desktop configuration and launcher settings.

Is there a way to save and restore the desktop configuration without a launcher replacement? I was looking for a folder along the lines of /home/root/.Desktop (?) using Root Explorer but a quick look didn't show anything like that.

Jim

captdroid

Reaction score
RE: the launchers, ADW (and apparently LP now as well) have backup/restore capabilities, so that when doing a clean install you can restore your desktop configuration and launcher settings.

Is there a way to save and restore the desktop configuration without a launcher replacement? I was looking for a folder along the lines of /home/root/.Desktop (?) using Root Explorer but a quick look didn't show anything like that.

Jim

Try using Titanium backup and restore data for 'Launcher'

jimholcomb

Reaction score

Jim

Try using Titanium backup and restore data for 'Launcher'

Awesome! Just tried this and except for the widgets (expected that) everything popped right back up - thanks!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Jim

MyBackup Pro will save the config for the stock launcher as well, just as an FYI - it just doesn't do well with other launchers.

Omnipharious

Reaction score
FRF84B to FRG01B

Is there a way to switch from one build to the next without losing my current theme and kernel?
I've tried Sapphire1.0, and I've had some issues with it not being stable @1.2ghz, apps not loading and my current theme hasn't been ported to 1.0 yet.
So, via clockwork I've flashed back to Sapphire8.4 with a 1.2ghz kernel & Roderj13's Redline theme. I love this setup. Despite, the music player starting sometimes when I end a call while using my bluetooth earpiece. I have not has the same issues as Sapphire1.0.
However, I would like to know if there is a way for me to switch from FRF84B to FRG01B without losing my current theme and kernel?
dancedroid

kevev99

Reaction score
Sapphire 1.0 Install Issue

Hi All. I'm having some issues getting Sapphire 1.0 to install right. First, I rooted my Droid 1 with Virtual Androot. Installed ROM Manager, downloaded, and tried installing it via ROM Manager/ClockworkMod. It didn't work and I had to restore back. I then tried to do it manually via Clockwork Recovery. This time the install went through, the phone booted up, but it just hung with the Sapphire logo for almost an hour. I know it said that the dalvik-cache needs to be re-built, but it should only take at most 10 minutes. So again I pulled the battery and did a restore.

I flashed the recovery over to SPRecovery and figured I'd try it that way. So I downloaded the files (ROM, kernel, theme) direct from the website, renamed the ROM update.zip, copied it to the sdcard, ran it, said it installed, and then upon reboot it just hangs with the Sapphire logo for 15-20 minutes. Once again I pulled the battery and did a reboot to recovery and restore.

At this point I unrooted my phone. I followed MotoCahce1's instructions to flash SPRecovery and root my Droid. Worked flawlessly. I still have ROM manager installed, but have not granted it superuser rights, and have SetCPU installed (but not "Set at Boot") with superuser privileges. Does it matter if I have these installed? Just wondering if I have a conflict somewhere giving me issues to install the ROM. Trying to do it all through SPRecovery. Any help is appreciated before I venture again.