[ROM] MIUI.us-Sholes-1.7.1.0

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have used miui ever since it came out and think it is the best rom by far. But....the last few builds for me have been incredibly laggy so I have not tried this release, I downloaded it but switched to cyanogen and it is running so much better on my og Droid. I keep checking this forum to see how many issues there are but seemsa ok so I might switch back to this because it is wayyyyyy better lol. Magiman and everyone else involved is doing a great job on miui and many thanks to you guys. Oh heck, I think ill give it a go right now lol...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Try using a faster peter Alphonso (bugless) kernel- they work pretty well on here
I'm running 1.25 GHz standard voltage and no lag :) (wouldn't recommended going that high at first though lol)

jchammer123

Reaction score
As I posted in the 1.6.24 thread. That was my first time on MIUI and it was very laggy. Installing a faster kernel (Chevy's 1ghz lv for me) and running the supercharger script made it amazing. It was great even without the supercharger, but the supercharger help dramatically with the memory management!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fyi the original supercharger multitasking setting is built into this rom lol

jchammer123

Reaction score
Well I used the update 5 and it made a dramatic difference. I was averaging 12 to 20 mb of ram and having to kill my apps before. Now its between 30 and 50 at any given time and haven't had to kill apps since. Plus, I wasn't receiving texts before, and now it locked the messaging app in memory and haven't missed any. So for me......it helped!

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well I used the update 5 and it made a dramatic difference. I was averaging 12 to 20 mb of ram and having to kill my apps before. Now its between 30 and 50 at any given time and haven't had to kill apps since. Plus, I wasn't receiving texts before, and now it locked the messaging app in memory and haven't missed any. So for me......it helped!

When you ran version 5, what selection did you make? (Multitasking, balanced, etc)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used balanced 3 and I usually have about 30-40 MB free...actually I have 37 MB free right now

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I tried that on the last build to no avail...btw is it me or did compcache get broken? I flashed deprimed kernel (which should work, right?) And I got some weird error using the handle_compcache script and using compcache start it said mkswap error: image too small
Also tried corcors PE kernel which worked on last build
Full data/cache wipe before flashing the rom

Edit: Nevermind...apparently it was the deprimed kernel that messed it up...odd, I thought that one worked before

I have changed the handle_compache script because there is no compcache setting in MIUI like there is in CM7 to try to make the build more compatible w/ other kernels. The Deprimed kernel has its own handle_compcache and compcache scripts which overwrites the stock one and no longer detects the setting for enabling compache.

All of that to say, the deprimed kernel will work, you just need to delete the handle_compcache and compcache scripts from the zip file (/system/bin). Once you delete them from the zip, you can flash the zip as normal.

Or you could copy the stock scripts from MIUI before flashing, flash the unedited deprimed zip and copy the stock scripts back.

Either method will work and you should be able to use the deprimed kernel on any of the MIUI.us D1 builds.

jchammer123

Reaction score

When you ran version 5, what selection did you make? (Multitasking, balanced, etc)

Magiman7,
I used option 6, which I believe was balanced 3. Just before I posted this I was sitting at 47mb's of ram.

DROOIID

Reaction score
How do I change the state or whatever of the kernel I am looking for a terminal command preferably. I don't care about multitasking I want performance. Thanks

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about what they were saying above, look for Zeppelinrox supercharger script in Droid hacks

Reaction score
I like your ideas Droidlovinyogi, but I wish there was one stable build with all issues fixed. This does not even exist on the Froyo builds. How do we get one stable build for every 10 or so beta builds for the OG Droid?

Thus far I don’t think there is one stable D1 build with all issues fixed. This comes with the process and where we are with respect to the process; that is we, as users who are not in China and specifically D1 users.

The Miui rollercoaster (as I affectionately call it) is a beta ride, which we who are not in China, are taking via the grace of ports by extremely talented developers. The rom originates in China and is ported to various devices, some of which are officially supported and some not. The D1 port has been done by zenulator, Jamezelle, metiCkOne, TP4bama, magiman7 and others.

My understanding is that the D1 ports initially challenged the hardware of the device, as well as the skills of developers working on porting it to the D1. These challenges continued on another level as the reality of porting Gingerbread builds approached. Initially, I think there was speculation about the GB port being successfully executed, or whether the OG hardware could even support GB.

It is my understanding that the builds come from China as is, and the developers here in America and other countries have to work with what they get. I don’t think porting developers have any or at least very little say or influence on the build that comes from China. The Chinese developers and their financial backers have their own agenda(s) – speculation about what these are has been the topic of much discussion.

Also, though the rom is based on CM it is not open source, which means the job of developers porting it is much harder, because they can’t address bugs on the level of code. This speaks to the talent, ingenuity, creativity, passion and collaborative spirit of the porting developers, as they have done an amazing job of coming up with ways to make it work as well as it does on the OG (There are a plethora of politicians that could learn much from these developers, but that’s a topic for another thread).

Factor all of this into the reality of the unpredictable way individual phones play with various builds, kernels, work-a-rounds, fixes and other stuff, and we end up with a situation where there’s not a one-size-fits-all solution that might lead to one stable build with all issues fixed.

However if you find a build where AMAP of what you need is in good working order, make sure you keep a nandroid of it. That way if the current build doesn’t play well with your phone you can revert back. Then try again on the next build. There are a lot of people who are running past builds while they wait for the next build that works for them.

Off the top of my head this is my recollection of the overall process. There may be some other D1 Miui elders out there who can correct my mistakes and fill in the gaps.

cowsquad

Reaction score
I'm using 1.7.1 with no issues at all, is going super fast for me. I've noticed that maps, stock launcher and facebook use a lot of memmory on my phone, which make my phone laggy. I uninstalled facebook and maps; I replaced miui stock launcher with launcher pro then I untoggled miui.us launcher keep and memory optionn and my phone is been running fast. I also keep launcher pro locked in memory, which keeps my ram in 66mb free, sometimes 40. FYI, I've always used stock kernel, stock theme. I think themes make my phone laggy, so I don't like them. Battery lasts 11 to 12 hours with moderate use. Thank you magiman and tb4bama :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anathema

Reaction score
I'm guessing this will be in the next release (I haven't flashed miui in a few releases so I don't know if it's already done) BUT...TreyM over at miuiandroid says thank you....

Changes made by me:
* MIUI Cam FC is fixed now (HUGE credit to magiman7 for nailing down the issue.)

:D

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thus far I don’t think there is one stable D1 build with all issues fixed. This comes with the process and where we are with respect to the process; that is we, as users who are not in China and specifically D1 users.

Also, though the rom is based on CM it is not open source, which means the job of developers porting it is much harder, because they can’t address bugs on the level of code.

Factor all of this into the reality of the unpredictable way individual phones play with various builds, kernels, work-a-rounds, fixes and other stuff, and we end up with a situation where there’s not a one-size-fits-all solution that might lead to one stable build with all issues fixed.

So are you saying that it is not possible to get a stable MIUI build for the OG Droid? I mean, with all the issues that the Team D1 folks have already fixed, it seems as if it is possible.

Even if 90% of issues were addressed and fixed, that would be huge in my book. I'm not saying the Rom must be perfect, I'm saying give the D1 MIUI community something that could be called "stable", based upon one iteration of the Rom, where most issues have been addressed per a bug reporting thread, that all newer beta Roms are compared against.