Ram

dtdlurch

Reaction score
I haven't seen this really discussed in the new Bionic section yet. But, is anyone else bothered that Verizon is getting the short end of the stick in regards to RAM? I like everything about the Bionic better than the version AT&T is getting....but half the RAM? I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference but, considering the strides we are seeing in smartphone or "superphones", I think anything less than 1GB of RAM is going to be subpar, in terms of high end mobile phones, before the Summer.

Is it just me?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
No others are bothered by it but people are not aware yet that the Atrix is running another OS on top with their webtop application. It will be very memory intensive.

OP
dtdlurch

dtdlurch

Reaction score
Interesting. Guess I don't fully understand the webtop. Wouldn't have thought it would be such a drain on resources.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Interesting. Guess I don't fully understand the webtop. Wouldn't have thought it would be such a drain on resources.

It's going to be using up resources for sure. Add to that Blur, apps etc etc and you will see that it could really end up being a resource hog. All these "fancy" options they add to devices require memory so as we see more of these things implemented we'll see higher demands for more memory.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No others are bothered by it but people are not aware yet that the Atrix is running another OS on top with their webtop application. It will be very memory intensive.

That explains the extra ram. Thanks CK.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Raptor007

Reaction score
I guess as Android makes advances in memory management then 512MB will work just fine. I also had not noticed the additional Webtop was an OS, I thought it was an app. I guess that phone will have lots to deal with.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will take 512 with the other specs the Bionic is sportin' :D

creaky

Reaction score
Interesting. Guess I don't fully understand the webtop.

I don't understand the webtop, either. Is it like have two OS systems running together (and therefore requiring the extra RAM)?

rage151

Reaction score
I read that the 512mb of Bionic RAM is not the typical mobile RAM. It is DDR2-667 or LPDDR2-600, which I think is a lot faster, maybe more efficient too. I was disappointed that it didn't 1ghz, but this different type of memory may be a good thing.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i was pretty set on getting a bionic back when we though it had 1 gb. even if it is 'better' ram, i still would feel better having 1 gb considering how quickly phones get outdated these days.

fichdak

Reaction score
i was pretty set on getting a bionic back when we though it had 1 gb. even if it is 'better' ram, i still would feel better having 1 gb considering how quickly phones get outdated these days.

what do you mean 'better'?

and i'd also much rather have the atrix than the bionic on verizon.

it's more than 20% thinner, has a (imo) better screen size at 4" and therefore a higher pixel density and battery life, twice as much ram, webtop, the entertainment dock, etc.. plus, it's going to be available sooner.

screw you verizon :icon_evil: