SK Hynix announces 8Gb LPDDR3 Memory Chips

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jun 10, 2013.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    [​IMG]

Move over Samsung (4Gb LPDDR3), SK Hynix is about to run right by you with it's blazing fast 8Gb LPDDR3 memory chips. SK Hynix appears to be one-upping the smartphone giant, as the company has been working on its own 20nm eight gigabit (the equivalent of 1GB) memory chips, which can be stacked together to provide a whopping 4GB RAM in a single package.

2014 should bring us some smartphones/tablets packing a monstrous 4GB of RAM, that will be able to handle anything that's thrown at it. For more details please read the full press release below:

Via: AndroidAuthority

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    4gigs of ram in a smartphone or tablet is definitely exciting. Combined with the quad-core (and those weird octa-core) chips you've got some serious power. I'm waiting for the phone/tablet that can dual-boot Android AND Windows, or maybe at least Linux so I have an option to plug in a monitor and BT keyboard for a real desktop experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +339
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    Makes my nerd senses tingle! :p

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Seriously. Remains to be seen when we'll actually see this in a phone, though. 2gigs will remain the standard for some time, with the occasional oddball 3gigs (you know someone will do it)....and pitchforks will come out.

Maybe Google does something amazing with Chrome OS in the next Android version or two and releases a Nexus phone with 4gigs to maximize the potential. Otherwise I'm not holding my breath.