Samsung To Unleash 2GB RAM Chip on The Masses

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sammy2gb.jpeg

Samsung continues to push all the latest and greatest tech into the Android mobile space. From flexible screens to 4 gigabit 20 nanometer low power DDR2 memory. Wait, what was that? A 4GB gobble gobble choo choo train? Essentially yes. The new chip would be a small, low power, screaming fast 2GB RAM chip for mobile phones. Most high end smartphones today are running with 1GB RAM and the question "how will it impact battery life?" will inevitably come up. According to the South Korean Company that will not be an issue, quite the opposite actually. Samsung claims the next crop of devices will have even better battery life. When asked what the extra memory will do, they responded "it will help the market to deliver advanced devices that are faster, lighter and provide longer battery life than today's mobile devices."

Sounds good to us. Faster, lighter, better battery life? We're sold. The new chip is reportedly 20% thinner than previous 2GB offerings, which in turn will allow handset manufacturers to continue producing very sleek and slender devices. Samsung says the new chip will begin shipping later this year, which means we could potentially see handsets sporting the new RAM by the end of the year, but you shouldn't hold your breath. Getting the chip into hardware and testing takes some time, so a more realistic timeframe would be early 2013, but we sure would like to be proven wrong.

Source and image: Endgadget

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
4 gigabit would be 512MB or 0.5GB

I assume they are saying that these are small enough and use a small enough amount of power to stack 4 of them in a device?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
2gigs of ram is overkill, unless you're a gamer I suppose.

2gigs will be nice/needed when they have something like Webtop ready for primetime. Attach a monitor with USB and then a BT keyboard and dual-boot windows and you have my attention. But by that time, you probably need more like 4gigs ram and at least dual-core 2ghz processors. Wouldn't seem to be a problem a few years from now.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Kinda sucks I won't be around to see this happen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Just remember when your on your death bed that you heard it on Droidforums first and you can pass this knowledge onto your grandchildren and they can pass it onto theirs.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The Japanese GS3 will have 2GB of RAM