I'm returning my Bionic.

roach

Reaction score
Maybe you should just buy an Iphone! dancedroid

I just want a phone that will accept twin 64gb micro SD cards, a 300mAmp battery, night vision,stereoscopic 3-D gaming, and shoots laser beams. is that too much to ask for. geez.Thats it.

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
Actually Ice, i see that your 3+ hours was "on wifi the whole time". 40% isn't so terrible then. That would be 5 to 6 hours of CONSTANT USE. Keep in mind that those reporting 5 or 6 hours of use and still at 80% or 90% battery are on standby or light use.

I'm not aware of any smartphone that will last 10 to 12 hours of constant use. And no battery saver setting or application is going to help you during constant use (except shutting off 4G and dimming your screen). They're more for when the phone is in standby, or for how often it checks for email.

Did you get more than 7 or 8 hours of constant use out of your OG Droid? I know I didn't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
When I said it was on wifi, I meant that whenever I was using the phone I was on my home wifi network, not using 3g or 4g.

I have no idea why you think that a phone sitting mostly idle with a little web browsing for 3 hours is the same as being constantly used for 6 hours. Please explain, because that makes no sense to me.

stev3m

Reaction score
I love my bionic honestly no problems here. Of course I went from a bad free phone to a smart phone but still none of the issues you speak of

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
I'm sorry, what's that?

Any thread like this where someone is critical of a phone that people are in love with is bound to get trolled. Like the people who told me to get an iphone. I believe I was fair in my assessment of the phone, I was not overly critical or mean. It just doesn't meet my expectations. I really appreciate those of you who are trying to help me through these problems, and like I said I envy those of you who don't have these problems. I congratulate those of you who have found your perfect phone. My search continues though, unless these suggestions and fixes work. I am trying them all out by the way.

revelated

Reaction score
No I appreciate your help. Just telling you how bad it is.

The only things in the Moto task manager that were running that I didn't want running were all the bloatware: Bookmarks widget, IM, IM presence, and VZ navigator. Added them to the auto-end list. None of them were listed in my battery app as offenders.

The battery app won't show you every single application that's killing the battery. Some are bulked in under hidden services. That's why I asked.

Here's the deal: If you give me a full list of what's in your Task Manager as running, I can easily tell you what's killing the battery. You then need to keep an eye on it, and make sure the only stuff running is what you want running, not what decides to run itself (I assume you didn't execute VZ Nav, for example, but it loads on startup on its own). The IM stuff also are battery killers, and widgets make the problem worse.

As stated, constant usage will kill the battery. 6 hours of constant usage is not unreasonable, but if you're a constant user like that, you really do need the extended battery, and even then you're likely not to exceed 20-some hours.

Also contrary to some others that talk about the Li-Ion battery, I'm convinced that the Bionic's batteries, especially the extended, REQUIRE a full discharge and full charge before usage in order to maximize them. Beyond that it's got to be something running that is destroying the battery slowly. Hopefully people aren't running that stupid Blockbuster app aka Battery Killer.

Last edited:

BlueSami

Reaction score
Any thread like this where someone is critical of a phone that people are in love with is bound to get trolled. Like the people who told me to get an iphone. I believe I was fair in my assessment of the phone, I was not overly critical or mean. It just doesn't meet my expectations. I really appreciate those of you who are trying to help me through these problems, and like I said I envy those of you who don't have these problems. I congratulate those of you who have found your perfect phone. My search continues though, unless these suggestions and fixes work. I am trying them all out by the way.

I think you gave too high if expectations for a phone. That's the issue here.
All phones have the same "complaints " when they come out. Go back and look at the TB or the x2.

mikespe

Reaction score
This, change that data option.

Also I almost took my bionic back due to having like 6 hours of life when not even using it.. Then I read on this forum that it would improve after a full decharge (0% dead battery) and let it charge while off ( showing the battery and percent screen ) to 100%. I did this and my battery lasts soooooooo much longer. These two together make it fine.

Will this affect text messaging too? Or are texts not considered "data"? If it does affect them how do you push them to the phone? Thanks

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
The battery app won't show you every single application that's killing the battery. Some are bulked in under hidden services. That's why I asked.

Here's the deal: If you give me a full list of what's in your Task Manager as running, I can easily tell you what's killing the battery. You then need to keep an eye on it, and make sure the only stuff running is what you want running, not what decides to run itself (I assume you didn't execute VZ Nav, for example, but it loads on startup on its own). The IM stuff also are battery killers, and widgets make the problem worse.

As stated, constant usage will kill the battery. 6 hours of constant usage is not unreasonable, but if you're a constant user like that, you really do need the extended battery, and even then you're likely not to exceed 20-some hours.

Also contrary to some others that talk about the Li-Ion battery, I'm convinced that the Bionic's batteries, especially the extended, REQUIRE a full discharge and full charge before usage in order to maximize them. Beyond that it's got to be something running that is destroying the battery slowly. Hopefully people aren't running that stupid Blockbuster app aka Battery Killer.
One thing that is absolutely killing my battery is "Social Location". It is responsible for 14% of my battery usage, 40 minutes of Keep-awake and 30 minutes of Wi-fi. Keep in mind that's on only 2hrs 1m since a full charge. So it is basically keeping my phone awake 40% of the time just by itself and keeping wi-fi on 25% of the time just for itself. Since the OG doesn't have 'social location', I assume it is part of motoblur. Do you know if it's a function called by a bunch of apps (facebook, twitter, etc) or is it just moto's crappy program running in the background?

revelated

Reaction score
One thing that is absolutely killing my battery is "Social Location". It is responsible for 14% of my battery usage, 40 minutes of Keep-awake and 30 minutes of Wi-fi. Keep in mind that's on only 2hrs 1m since a full charge. So it is basically keeping my phone awake 40% of the time just by itself and keeping wi-fi on 25% of the time just for itself. Since the OG doesn't have 'social location', I assume it is part of motoblur. Do you know if it's a function called by a bunch of apps (facebook, twitter, etc) or is it just moto's crappy program running in the background?

The latter.

"Social Location" is a generic catch-all for "any sort of usage done by your social networking apps, including Twitter, Facebook and anything else". Even if you do it over Wi-Fi, it's still going to kill the battery because it's sending certain background data via those apps. That's why I always say to not run any widgets or anything constant for Twitter or Facebook or MySpace...run them when you need, close them when you don't, and don't let them run stuff in the background. They will kill batteries VERY easily.

Will this affect text messaging too? Or are texts not considered "data"? If it does affect them how do you push them to the phone? Thanks

Standard SMS/MMS are not "data". They're sent via the normal cell channel.

Data is anything that access the actual internet protocol. Email, Web, Chat, Google apps, Market.

If you disable data, you'll be left with a device that can make and receive calls, SMS, and MMS. If that's all you care about for a certain period of time, you can disable data safely without worrying about losing functionality.

Last edited:
OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
I think you gave too high if expectations for a phone. That's the issue here.
All phones have the same "complaints " when they come out. Go back and look at the TB or the x2.

When a phone is delayed half a year and costs $300, shouldn't we have high expectations? No one really bought this phone thinking it would just be 'ok', did they? This isn't the Charge. I bought this thinking thinking I'd be 'wowed'. I'm in the unfortunate minority here that was not wowed. It's just a phone, I'm not sure why people get so upset when I criticize parts of it that I'm not satisfied with. It's not like I'm insulting their mother. :)

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score

The latter.

"Social Location" is a generic catch-all for "any sort of usage done by your social networking apps, including Twitter, Facebook and anything else". Even if you do it over Wi-Fi, it's still going to kill the battery because it's sending certain background data via those apps. That's why I always say to not run any widgets or anything constant for Twitter or Facebook or MySpace...run them when you need, close them when you don't, and don't let them run stuff in the background. They will kill batteries VERY easily.
Hmmm. I do have Launcherpro's "Friends" widget on. It pulls updates from Twitter and Facebook for me. It was set to refresh every 15 minutes. I'll set it to once an hour and see if that makes a difference. Other than that, the only widget I have pulling info is google reader.

Neither of these widgets caused any battery issues on my OG droid.

Thanks again for helping me.

revelated

Reaction score
Hmmm. I do have Launcherpro's "Friends" widget on. It pulls updates from Twitter and Facebook for me. It was set to refresh every 15 minutes. I'll set it to once an hour and see if that makes a difference. Other than that, the only widget I have pulling info is google reader.

Neither of these widgets caused any battery issues on my OG droid.

Thanks again for helping me.

I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm suggesting that you don't run ANY apps that are synchronizing on any schedule whatsoever, as widgets. Run them when you need, close them when you don't, and see if it makes a difference.

If an app is running as a widget, it's using RAM, CPU, and data (in some cases). The combination of the three will cause your battery to go lower depending on what you're doing. It's significantly better, as I noted in another thread, to simply run what you need, when you need, as shortcuts to the app rather than an ongoing widget that constantly runs.

If you disable every widget except maybe a clock and some weather, do the full charge cycle on the battery, and still can't manage to get 6 hours MINIMUM out of that phone...I would submit that it's defective, and taking it back is the best option. But I'm willing to bet that if you disable unnecessary stuff running and only run what you need when you need it and get studious about killing apps after you're done using them, you're going to feel like you have a brand new phone. It'll upset you, because you won't be able to use it the way you want unless you buy extended, but at least you will have your answer. I just don't think it's the phone, I think it's how people are using it.

necric

Reaction score
I would suggest changing the data mode to Maximum battery saver, and doing a full discharge / recharge.